Topre 45g vs 45g Silenced

HungerMechanic

04 Mar 2019, 00:12

I just received a new FC660C, which is 45g uniform.

My previous experience with Topre was at meetups, where I found that I liked 45g silenced. I think the board was an 86U or 87U TKL that had been silenced after purchase by the owner.

I am finding that I just don't like the FC660C's switches as much as I liked the silenced 45g board.

I'm wondering, can anyone tell me what exactly are the differences between standard uniform 45g switches and silenced 45g switches on a board like the Realforce?

I know the silenced switches are less tactile. And quieter, obviously. Do they have lower travel as well? Do 'purple' switches make a difference?

I am thinking I should have gotten the R2 PFU. I enjoy shorter travel. Would the APC enable that?

nik137

04 Mar 2019, 11:48

There should be no difference in tactility, the only difference is a ring around the slider that dampens the upstroke. The factory silenced models have a slightly longer slider to compensate for the presence of the ring so travel stays the same, other than that they are just about the same. If you want shorter travel anyway (altough just a fraction of a mm), you can install silencing rings yourself.

davkol

04 Mar 2019, 14:09

Also, Leopold 45g has been reported to be stiffer than Realforce 45g.

Hypersphere

04 Mar 2019, 14:44

@HungerMechanic: I agree with nik137.

I have also found that careful lubing along with installing silencing rings adds to the improvement of silencing rings alone. I use SuperLube 51010 synthetic oil for the switches and SuperLube 21010 synthetic grease for the stabilizers.

My first Topre-switch board was a Leopold FC660C. I liked the sound and feel of the switches, but I didn't like the layout. I gave it away, and got a HHKB Pro 2 and a RF87U45.

Now I have a new RF R2 TKL PFU 45. It is factory silenced with rings and it has the purple sliders. I like this keyboard very much. However, it has a slight rattle in the Enter and Right Shift keys, so I am considering opening it up to lube the stabilizers.

HungerMechanic

04 Mar 2019, 15:25

Good points, everyone.

I ordered the FC660C because of its reputation as a solid Topre board. It is well-built, but the switches are stiffer than I expected. Plus, I can't get used to the layout.

I had avoided the Realforce boards, because the FC660C was reputed to have less rattle than the older Realforces.

But with R2, I think they're nearly on par with each other. So I should just have gotten an R2 of some sort.

Now I have to figure out how to get an R2 PFU into Canada. The price for doing so is extreme, currently.

Laser
emacs -nw

04 Mar 2019, 17:41

A question of taste - for me it's the opposite, I much prefer the snappier FC660C domes to the Realforce ones.

Return to “Keyboards”