linear-modded Alps SKCM cream damped switches: spring resistance & MX equivalent

googolplex

17 Mar 2019, 11:51

Hello,

at home I use Alps SKCM cream damped switches from an AEKII, which I linearized by removing the tactile leafs. I love the typing feel and would also like to build a keyboard for my workplace. For different reasons, however, I would very much like to make one out of MX switches. On this point there are still a few questions that I could not answer:

Do you know the spring resistance in Alps SKCM cream damped switches?
Is the spring linear or increasing in its resistance?
Is there anybody who knows linear-modded Alps SKCM cream damped switches and can recommend an equivalent from the MX range?

Thanks and regards
googolplex

Sup

17 Mar 2019, 17:50

MX won't feel the same as Alps. But the closest would be a silent MX black switch in theory.

googolplex

17 Mar 2019, 18:00

Sup wrote:
MX won't feel the same as Alps.
Yes, unfortunately true. :(
Sup wrote:
But the closest would be a silent MX black switch in theory.
You probably do not know more concrete values regarding the pure spring resistance? The linear modded alps switch feels a bit lighter to me than Cherry blacks. Could Gateron yellows maybe go in this direction? Unfortunately I haven't been able to test them yet.

Sup

17 Mar 2019, 19:00

You probably do not know more concrete values regarding the pure spring resistance? The linear modded alps switch feels a bit lighter to me than Cherry blacks. Could Gateron yellows maybe go in this direction? Unfortunately I haven't been able to test them yet.
This part is hard to check since the metal leaf part in alps gives it extra resistance but how much no clue. Gateron yellow has a actuation force of 50g,mx black silent 60g and Alps SKCM cream dampend is 70g actuation. I don't know what the actuation is of a linear cream dampend. If it feels lighter then MX black silent i would get some gateron yellow springs and put them in MX silent blacks or normal MX blacks if you care about noise.
Last edited by Sup on 17 Mar 2019, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Anakey

17 Mar 2019, 19:04

I would say the best thing is to see iif anyone is going to be selling nexus sliders as they are alps sliders with mx stems so the keycaps will fit but maintaining teh feel of the alps

Primuds

05 Apr 2019, 11:09

Anakey wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 19:04
I would say the best thing is to see iif anyone is going to be selling nexus sliders as they are alps sliders with mx stems so the keycaps will fit but maintaining teh feel of the alps
I believe the nexus sliders do not support the dampening pads like the sliders in the cream damped, so you may have a very different feeling and sounding switch if you do decide to go that route.

Return to “Keyboards”