Recommendation for Mac OS mechanical keyboard

andreimp

14 Mar 2019, 09:46

Hi guys, I'm new on here, I've tried searching for this topic but did not really find anything.

Could you recommend a good mechanical Mac OS compatible, backlit/rgb, mechanical keyboard?
In terms of switches I am not very experienced, let's just say that I don't want the loudest ones and I would prefer TKL.
For keycaps, I would prefer Mac OS specific ones, but a programmable keyboard for which I could get custom Mac OS key caps would be good as well.

Thank you very much.

Leonordos

20 Mar 2019, 08:27

Maybe you can check Velocifire M87 mac mechanical keyboard.

andreimp

20 Mar 2019, 14:21

Do you know what kind of switches they have?
On their website it just says Brown Switch, so not sure if these are cherry MX or something else.

Thanks.

abrahamstechnology

20 Mar 2019, 14:24

Probably clones, but that would be a good thing since Cherry MX Brown is notoriously bad.

andreimp

20 Mar 2019, 14:43

Hmm. OK, I have a keyboard with cherry MX red silent, seems pretty good.

squizzler

20 Mar 2019, 15:45

Varmilo seem to take mac quite seriously. I They mainly do cherry switches but have also began to offer a capacitative switch of their own design.

There is of course Matias which is to Mac what Unicomp is to IBM compatibles...

Hypersphere

20 Mar 2019, 17:09

andreimp wrote:
Hi guys, I'm new on here, I've tried searching for this topic but did not really find anything.

Could you recommend a good mechanical Mac OS compatible, backlit/rgb, mechanical keyboard?
In terms of switches I am not very experienced, let's just say that I don't want the loudest ones and I would prefer TKL.
For keycaps, I would prefer Mac OS specific ones, but a programmable keyboard for which I could get custom Mac OS key caps would be good as well.

Thank you very much.
Welcome to DT!

Some years ago, I was a Mac user, but with Apple's increasing emphasis on mobile and wearable tech along with a relative lack of software applications and software application development for the Mac, I have recently switched to Windows and Linux.

My preferred layout is HHKB, but a carryover from the Mac that I have continued is the Mac placement of the Alt/Option and Windows/Command keys. For remapping, I use built-in converters, external Hasu converters, or remapping software.

I have used many different keyboards with a Mac, including vintage boards such as the IBM Model M, IBM XT, IBM AT, Northgate Omnikey 101, and various Zenith boards with Alps switches. All of them worked just fine with a Mac.

Among contemporary boards that I have used with a Mac are KBP V60 with various switches, Tokyo60 DIY kit, HHKB Pro 2, Realforce R87U, Realforce R2 TKL PFU Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire Stealth TKL, Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL, and WASD keyboards TKL.

Based on this history, I think you would be safe using almost any keyboard with a Mac. However, I do dimly recall seeing some posts from several years ago about one or two brands that were not Mac compatible. So, when you have chosen a few for your short list, I recommend Googling the brands along with "Mac compatbile" or "Mac compatibility" to see if any red flags come up.

stratokaster

21 Mar 2019, 09:14

I vaguely remember that several years ago macOS was not fully compatible with some USB keyboards that had full key rollover. But I have never encountered this issue in practice.

andreimp

21 Mar 2019, 09:22

Hypersphere wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 17:09
andreimp wrote:

Thank you very much.
Welcome to DT!

Some years ago, I was a Mac user, but with Apple's increasing emphasis on mobile and wearable tech along with a relative lack of software applications and software application development for the Mac, I have recently switched to Windows and Linux.

My preferred layout is HHKB, but a carryover from the Mac that I have continued is the Mac placement of the Alt/Option and Windows/Command keys. For remapping, I use built-in converters, external Hasu converters, or remapping software.

I have used many different keyboards with a Mac, including vintage boards such as the IBM Model M, IBM XT, IBM AT, Northgate Omnikey 101, and various Zenith boards with Alps switches. All of them worked just fine with a Mac.

Among contemporary boards that I have used with a Mac are KBP V60 with various switches, Tokyo60 DIY kit, HHKB Pro 2, Realforce R87U, Realforce R2 TKL PFU Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire Stealth TKL, Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL, and WASD keyboards TKL.

Based on this history, I think you would be safe using almost any keyboard with a Mac. However, I do dimly recall seeing some posts from several years ago about one or two brands that were not Mac compatible. So, when you have chosen a few for your short list, I recommend Googling the brands along with "Mac compatbile" or "Mac compatibility" to see if any red flags come up.
Thanks so much for this. I ended up getting a Corsair K70 MK.2 with Cherry MX silent switches. I did what you said and found that the CUE software now has a beta Mac OS version, it's called iCUE and works very well. Will play with it and see how I can remap the other non-Mac keys.

Findecanor

21 Mar 2019, 10:23

stratokaster wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 09:14
I vaguely remember that several years ago macOS was not fully compatible with some USB keyboards that had full key rollover.
There is a known problem with a few Noppoo keyboards: Choc Mini, Choc Mid and Choc Pro .. but the reason was not NKRO but because those keyboard were weird. :P

There is a workaround to make them work, but it involves a kernel extension and an additional program ... or you could use PS/2 mode and an adaptor.

pixelheresy

26 Mar 2019, 21:18

Yeah. I have mostly vintage boards (and a recently finished Keebio Quefrency I built and a few modern mechs) and lots of Macs. Old Macs, new Macs, etc. All the USB ones work well with modern firmwares (QMK/TMK/etc.) and even older USB mechs have zero problems. When possible I map the keys in firmware so I have the Command and Option keys in the right place (and/or move the Control to Capslock, which I prefer anyway). Short of that Karabiner-Elements is a great remapping tool and for more robust macros, I would recommend BetterTouchTool on the Mac.

So excepting some seriously whack as keyboards out there, pretty much anything you throw at them will work great. Just remap (in hardware or software) the keys [and just the basic switch can be done in the System Preferences] and you are good to go. Get a puller and switch the placement of Alt and Windows keys if it bugs you, or get caps that match.

Although it doesn't fit with the current Mac aesthetic, I would recommend getting an AEK1 (Orange Alps if you are lucky) and getting/building an ADB to USB converter. Those are brilliant. Blow any standard MX switch out of the water. I have one (and was lucky and got an old ADB mouse on a local auction site that included an old Macally converter for basically nothing) and it is perhaps my "fastest" board. It is so comfortable.

If you are looking for stock, I'd say a Matias Pro (which matches, but I don't like the curves personally) or a WASD Code (not with Brown). Or a Das (which I love my Das 3 which I have in Mac layout and caps), although I know some people have had some issue with Das 4s and creaky solder joints. But the Matias and Code are both pretty rock solid consumer boards and are either native Mac layout are trivially hardware remappable. HHKBs are nice, but do have the Topre price tag and you immediately have dozens of people telling you what weight and mods, etc. to put in to be "optimal." [Topre is a "some day" for me].

But honesty, the sky is the limit. There is very, very little out there that you physically cannot use or adapt or remap to fit your exact needs and style.

Return to “Keyboards”