When you finally reach endgame.

nickg

20 Apr 2019, 16:27

It is as the legends foretold... Unless I somehow find a selectric thats been converted into a pc keyboard i think i've reached my endgame for must haves now its just if something is cool and i have spare cash.
Attachments
58378559_2291504874401509_7233948584121466880_n.jpg
58378559_2291504874401509_7233948584121466880_n.jpg (204.43 KiB) Viewed 4994 times

keyboard Kultist

20 Apr 2019, 16:32

Very nice! Those are near divine :-)

Myoth

20 Apr 2019, 17:02

keyboard Kultist wrote:
have you tried them ?

keyboard Kultist

20 Apr 2019, 19:46

Myoth wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 17:02
keyboard Kultist wrote:
have you tried them ?
Oh yes :-) I got one from Orihalcon :-)

I'm not 100 percent sure, but back when I was in grad school there was a room full of terminals that connected to the IBM mainframe. I remember being very impressed with the massive keyboards; I think they were beamsprings.

PlacaFromHell

20 Apr 2019, 20:51

I wonder if there is something even more magical than a beamspring keyboard out there. Enjoy it, you will love it more and more with every day that passes.

Myoth

20 Apr 2019, 20:58

I just don't get how people just love them, obviously iy's all about preferences, but the switch didn't feel that awesome to just forget about the inconveniences

PlacaFromHell

20 Apr 2019, 21:15

It's okay, everyone is different. At least to me, it has te most natural click and tactile feedback ever made, and the bump is lovely. The only big problem in my 3101 is the lack of a proper left alt.
I like to dream big, so my endgame would be a custom beamspring or a modded 4978.

nickg

20 Apr 2019, 21:42

PlacaFromHell wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 20:51
I wonder if there is something even more magical than a beamspring keyboard out there. Enjoy it, you will love it more and more with every day that passes.
There were supposedly some selectric type writers ibm converted to mainframe boards.

PlacaFromHell

20 Apr 2019, 21:59

I tried the Selectric. The travel feels way too long to use it as a normal keyboard. Anyway should be really cool have one of those evil bizarre hybrids.

Wazrach

21 Apr 2019, 16:24

That keyboard looks amazing! I have to say, apart from the giant price tag of Beamspring keyboards putting me off, I don't think they sound that great either. The spacebar is rattly and doesn't have a thick sound to it like a good Model F does. Plus, of course, they don't ping - which is one of my favourite things about a Model F keyboard. xP

Wazrach

21 Apr 2019, 16:29

Myoth wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 20:58
I just don't get how people just love them, obviously iy's all about preferences, but the switch didn't feel that awesome to just forget about the inconveniences
Yeah, everyone has different tastes. I like my tanky IBM Models F with huge bezels and pingy, deafening switches. I myself don't understand why people don't like them, but trying out an HHKB Pro 2 I recently bought, I can definitely see why people would prefer something like this. Modern boards still don't make me happy the same way my IBMs do, as they just don't have that commanding presence to them.

Myoth

21 Apr 2019, 17:35

I'll just quote the conversation I had just the other day with tron on GH, to answer what I mean by "I don't understand"
Myoth wrote:
tron wrote:
Myoth wrote: none, beamspring sux

;D

EDIT : to get back on topic, I think the regular 3278 has 12 more keys on the right
@Myoth: I have to ask. What is it about beamsprings you don’t like? The model and condition play a major role in the overall usability and feel. None of the beamsprings I’ve tried feel the same, some have heavier springs and feel clunky like a Selectric and some feel lighter with rounder tactility….. All I can say is if you get a good one they are amazing to type on and very usable as a daily driver.
The height, the sound, the layout, the availability, the overall hype surrounding them, and the elitism it suggests. And each alone would be okay if it wasn't for all the other ones on top of eachother. Too many compromises. (the physical aspects will just concern the Displaywriter since it was the one I had, but I don't think the others are much much different, apart maybe from the 3278 which looks quite flat actually)

1) The height : just no, it's like 10cm tall, it's just not comfortable unless you have a very specific setup, which I don't have.

2) The sound : it doesn't sound as good as the F's, I find it inconsistent and just ... weird, but that's preference really.

3) The layout, I'm not one to bash layouts usually as I can adapt to pretty much anything (my love in the XT layout shows it the best), but man, beamspring layouts are on another level, enters suck, mods suck, and everything that isn't on the alpha cluster sucks, the 5251 is the most usable, but again, too many compromises...

4) The availability : you know how it goes ... one pops up on ebay, as an auction, GL if you just want to try one for cheap, and if you don't like it ... the same thing happens again ... which leads to the next point :

5) The hype surrounding them : it's just a huge circlejerk, people who buy them are either people that love vintage stuff and therefore are forced by themselves to like it, or people who hoards them (and have went through the former process already), I know so many people who have some and yet still use boards from 1981(when was that flatter keyboards rule again ?) onward, they just keep it because it has a boasting value, they might from time to time, enjoy them, but I don't know of many people who absolutely daily drive them for months or years straight ... which once again leads to the next point :

6) The elitism they suggest : do you ever just think they're the best keyboards on the world ? doesn't anyone think that ? I mean look at the audience of chyrosran22, getting a beamspring is for them like finding the grail. Which makes anyone involved in beamspring either elite or wannabe-elite. It's tiring to see people shill beamspring when they haven't tried, and even more so when they deem them "the gosh darn best keeb". For once I don't think the elitism it's oozing is coming from the people who have them, but it's from the people who want them, and deem the former "elite".

It's like those bands who have a toxic following, you might like some of their songs, but the rest of their discography, and their toxic fanbase that forces down your throat with their "bro have you listened to X ? they're so good and underrated, broooooooooooo they're so good, are you sure you don't like them ???? broooooo they're literally so much better than anything else out there", you may not hate them, but you've grown tired of them.

:shrug:

Wazrach

21 Apr 2019, 18:04

Myoth wrote:
I'll just quote the conversation I had just the other day with tron on GH, to answer what I mean by "I don't understand"
Myoth wrote:
tron wrote:

@Myoth: I have to ask. What is it about beamsprings you don’t like? The model and condition play a major role in the overall usability and feel. None of the beamsprings I’ve tried feel the same, some have heavier springs and feel clunky like a Selectric and some feel lighter with rounder tactility….. All I can say is if you get a good one they are amazing to type on and very usable as a daily driver.
The height, the sound, the layout, the availability, the overall hype surrounding them, and the elitism it suggests. And each alone would be okay if it wasn't for all the other ones on top of eachother. Too many compromises. (the physical aspects will just concern the Displaywriter since it was the one I had, but I don't think the others are much much different, apart maybe from the 3278 which looks quite flat actually)

1) The height : just no, it's like 10cm tall, it's just not comfortable unless you have a very specific setup, which I don't have.

2) The sound : it doesn't sound as good as the F's, I find it inconsistent and just ... weird, but that's preference really.

3) The layout, I'm not one to bash layouts usually as I can adapt to pretty much anything (my love in the XT layout shows it the best), but man, beamspring layouts are on another level, enters suck, mods suck, and everything that isn't on the alpha cluster sucks, the 5251 is the most usable, but again, too many compromises...

4) The availability : you know how it goes ... one pops up on ebay, as an auction, GL if you just want to try one for cheap, and if you don't like it ... the same thing happens again ... which leads to the next point :

5) The hype surrounding them : it's just a huge circlejerk, people who buy them are either people that love vintage stuff and therefore are forced by themselves to like it, or people who hoards them (and have went through the former process already), I know so many people who have some and yet still use boards from 1981(when was that flatter keyboards rule again ?) onward, they just keep it because it has a boasting value, they might from time to time, enjoy them, but I don't know of many people who absolutely daily drive them for months or years straight ... which once again leads to the next point :

6) The elitism they suggest : do you ever just think they're the best keyboards on the world ? doesn't anyone think that ? I mean look at the audience of chyrosran22, getting a beamspring is for them like finding the grail. Which makes anyone involved in beamspring either elite or wannabe-elite. It's tiring to see people shill beamspring when they haven't tried, and even more so when they deem them "the gosh darn best keeb". For once I don't think the elitism it's oozing is coming from the people who have them, but it's from the people who want them, and deem the former "elite".

It's like those bands who have a toxic following, you might like some of their songs, but the rest of their discography, and their toxic fanbase that forces down your throat with their "bro have you listened to X ? they're so good and underrated, broooooooooooo they're so good, are you sure you don't like them ???? broooooo they're literally so much better than anything else out there", you may not hate them, but you've grown tired of them.

I agree with you 100% there, actually. I personally don't want a Beamspring (unless I happen to get one cheap and can resell it) for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned. I don't know if the elitism bit applies to this, but I personally don't understand the hype for the industrial Models M, or even the SSK. I don't think I have been particularly lucky with the four Models M I've tried, but they didn't feel or sound satisfying in the slightest. I actually much preferred typing on my Unicomp Ultra Classic when I had it, but I think that's due to the "springier mat" as opposed to the thick rubber IBM used under the hammers.

nickg

21 Apr 2019, 22:12

Wazrach wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 18:04
Myoth wrote:
Myoth wrote:

I agree with you 100% there, actually. I personally don't want a Beamspring (unless I happen to get one cheap and can resell it) for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned. I don't know if the elitism bit applies to this, but I personally don't understand the hype for the industrial Models M, or even the SSK. I don't think I have been particularly lucky with the four Models M I've tried, but they didn't feel or sound satisfying in the slightest. I actually much preferred typing on my Unicomp Ultra Classic when I had it, but I think that's due to the "springier mat" as opposed to the thick rubber IBM used under the hammers.
I dont much understand the industrial model m ether :/ the ssk on the other hand the same appeal as any other tkl board. I also enjoy my unicomp boards, especially my sun unix style board :3 favorite model m board I have.

nickg

21 Apr 2019, 22:14

PlacaFromHell wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 21:59
I tried the Selectric. The travel feels way too long to use it as a normal keyboard. Anyway should be really cool have one of those evil bizarre hybrids.
Yeah i wouldnt use a selectric as an everyday board ether knowing how the travel is. But dang it the collector in me likes it.

I would get some keycaps from them for my beamspring if I found one though... its extremely light cloud-like switch with crisp tactility really is a joy to use.

PlacaFromHell

21 Apr 2019, 22:49

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the beamspring hating club didn't used a beamspring for at least a week. When I got my first model F I thought it didn't feel so great, but after a fair time using it I started to like it (anyway my heavy typing makes me feel it almost linear sometimes). I heard a lot of this when I was investigating about Topre, which is in fact a very similar in feeling switch; a binary tactility with bump. You can't say anything about a switch if you didn't naturalized it first.
That doesn't mean I'm agree with the ridiculous prices of the keyboard market. I got my beamspring for just a tenth of the real price.

xxhellfirexx

22 Apr 2019, 01:15

Wazrach wrote:
That keyboard looks amazing! I have to say, apart from the giant price tag of Beamspring keyboards putting me off, I don't think they sound that great either. The spacebar is rattly and doesn't have a thick sound to it like a good Model F does. Plus, of course, they don't ping - which is one of my favourite things about a Model F keyboard. xP
Just like Model F keyboards, beamspring keyboards have a varying amount of ping depending on the the amount of use and the environment it was kept in.

I have a beamspring keyboard that pings quite a bit (it has a bubbly sound) that gives each one a bit of charm and character.

PlacaFromHell

22 Apr 2019, 02:40

xxhellfirexx wrote:
Wazrach wrote:
Just like Model F keyboards, beamspring keyboards have a varying amount of ping depending on the the amount of use and the environment it was kept in.

I have a beamspring keyboard that pings quite a bit (it has a bubbly sound) that gives each one a bit of charm and character.
Mine has no ping at all and sounds something between the snap of a tempered chocolate and a raindrop on a tin roof. I guess is the same as with the model F's, every keyboard is different.

Wazrach

22 Apr 2019, 08:31

PlacaFromHell wrote:
xxhellfirexx wrote:
Wazrach wrote:

Mine has no ping at all and sounds something between the snap of a tempered chocolate and a raindrop on a tin roof. I guess is the same as with the model F's, every keyboard is different.
What affects ping? My brand new IBM 5155 Model F isn't pingy at all. Do the springs reverberate more with age and use?

nickg

22 Apr 2019, 13:24

Wazrach wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 08:31
PlacaFromHell wrote:
xxhellfirexx wrote:

What affects ping? My brand new IBM 5155 Model F isn't pingy at all. Do the springs reverberate more with age and use?

It's not going to be a ping like an m1 garand it's going to be more of a thocky ping. Honestly the beginning of an lgr video review of an old game from last year would be the best to see what most F sound like.

And my beam spring isn't really pingy Ether it's more of a light click. Honestly not l sure which sound I prefer myself. I think I may go against the grain and have model f and beamspring tied for my favorites switches.

Telstar

22 Apr 2019, 15:09

I have seen the force curves and I dont think they are for me.

nickg

22 Apr 2019, 15:37

Telstar wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 15:09
I have seen the force curves and I dont think they are for me.
Yeah they are far different than i expected but still awesome(tied for #1 switch in my book). Just extremely different than the model f which i guess i did expect to an extent but not this much.

darkcruix

22 Apr 2019, 15:48

Everybody has a different taste. In my home alone the differences couldn't be bigger. My wife is hating my Beam- and Buckling Spring keyboards with a passion, as it is way too loud for her. She prefere's the worst kind of rubber dome. Any attempt to let her type on it for longer sessions and explain the history, just doesn't work.
I had to accept that her taste isn't worse than mine or less profound - she just has a different style of typing.

I came from blue, cherry switches years ago to the IBM Model Ms. I was happy with it, until I started typing on a Model F and had to get one. It was loud and felt insanly great. Years went by and guess what, I had the chance to type on a Beamspring. It is completely different and much smoother and just right for me. I have different ones and only the 3278 with wrist rest and adjustments is right for the daily use, in my case. In fairness, the Model F is just different - the typing satisfaction is equal. And all of this is nothing more than personal taste and I can also understand that many like other switches and keyboards more.

My perfect daily driver at the moment:
IMG_8232.jpeg
IMG_8232.jpeg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 4522 times

nickg

22 Apr 2019, 18:13

Thats a beautiful board, darkcruix. " the Model F is just different - the typing satisfaction is equal." I could not agree with this more if I tried, nail on the head right there. the F is just so nice and thocky and bangy and loud and yarg, but beamsprings like a floaty cloud with a quck flip of tactility to let you know the thing happened then back to clouds.

"My wife is hating my Beam- and Buckling Spring keyboards with a passion, as it is way too loud for her. She prefere's the worst kind of rubber dome"

Oh im sorry for your/her loss. I guess I'm lucky my gf likes her 122 key unicomp model m(surprisingly awesome for mmos).

Return to “Keyboards”