How to have FR-4 switchplates made from PCB manufacturer?

abrahamstechnology

05 Apr 2019, 17:14

Can anyone walk me through how I can get a .svg/dxf of a switchplate made in FR-4 as a PCB? Thanks.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

05 Apr 2019, 18:59

Most of these places require you to submit gerber files. I'm not sure if any accept svg/dxf because that essentially just be the edgecuts portion of the gerbers. A good place to start might be contacting a couple of shops and see if they'll accept those file types.

If you'd rather just make the gerbers, here's how I would go about doing it:

Import dxf into pcbnew
  • Install kicad
  • Create a new project
  • Open pcb design file (pcbnew application)
  • In pcbnew go to File > Import > DXF file
  • Navigate to your file and select Graphic Layer: Edge.Cuts then import
Plot and verify
  • Still in pcbnew, in the top menu, click the icon that looks like a plotter printer
  • Deselect all layers except for Edge.Cuts and click "Plot" (note where it saved the files)
  • Now that the gerber files have been created (well, really just 1 file in this case), you'll want to verify them
  • Navigate to where you saved the gerber files
  • Select the file(s), and add them to a zip file
  • Upload the zip to this tool and make sure everything looks good https://gerber-viewer.easyeda.com/
Fabrication / Ordering
  • A good site for comparing PCB fabrication costs is www.pcbshopper.com
  • While it's a good start, it's not an exhaustive list so feel free to shop around
  • Whichever shop you end up choosing, just be aware that since your design only has edgecuts, someone will probably contact you to verify this is not a mistake
I think that should get you going. If I think of anything else I'll post it here.

abrahamstechnology

20 Apr 2019, 17:38

Thanks, I couldn't get it working in KiCad but I was able to do something similar with EasyEDA. I'll tell you how they work when they arrive in a few days.

abrahamstechnology

24 Apr 2019, 01:38

It worked perfectly!

swampangel

24 Apr 2019, 16:22

I like this idea a lot. I'm curious how thick the material is, and how much it cost?

abrahamstechnology

24 Apr 2019, 16:39

swampangel wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 16:22
I like this idea a lot. I'm curious how thick the material is, and how much it cost?
1.2mm thick and it cost me $20 for 5 of them.

swampangel

24 Apr 2019, 16:42

abrahamstechnology wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 16:39
1.2mm thick and it cost me $20 for 5 of them.
Shoot, I'm going to have to try that for a tkl plate

AbstraktDesignLab

02 May 2019, 23:29

My only issue so far has been that JLCPCB doesnt like the less than 5mm spacing between switches. Apart from JLCPCB, do any other PCB fabs have this restriction?

abrahamstechnology

02 May 2019, 23:51

I ran mine through JLCPCB and they came out fine.

swampangel

29 May 2019, 18:13

20 Apr 2019, 17:38
Thanks, I couldn't get it working in KiCad but I was able to do something similar with EasyEDA. I'll tell you how they work when they arrive in a few days.
Can you share any more details about the steps you took?

My problem is, I've generated gerber files via both KiCad and EasyEDA. With the easyeda gerber viewer, they both show the correct size of 348mm x 130mm. However when I upload the .zip to the JLCPCB order page, it detects a size of 13mm x 16mm (like it's only using one of the switch cutouts as the board size?)

Edit: there's a discussion of the same problem here https://easyeda.com/forum/topic/JLCPCB- ... 4fe53d0a93

The trouble is that the dimension fields are now readonly on JLCPCB once you add your gerber. I can get around that in the browser, but it would be nice to know if others have the same problem or a workaround.

abrahamstechnology

29 May 2019, 20:14

One thing I did was use a schematic of a single capacitor connected to ground on both sides. I never got the issue you did but I think this may resolve it.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 May 2019, 20:19

Oh no, now I've got conspiracy theories swirling around in my head.

swampangel

29 May 2019, 20:25

29 May 2019, 20:14
One thing I did was use a schematic of a single capacitor connected to ground on both sides. I never got the issue you did but I think this may resolve it.
Thanks, I'll give that a go. Any other specific steps you took between importing the .dxf in easyeda and exporting the gerber files?

abrahamstechnology

29 May 2019, 20:43

I don't really recall anything else but I put copper fill on the front and back of the PCB.

swampangel

30 May 2019, 00:38

Thanks again. I was getting frustrated with the process, but what you're saying makes sense -- my drawing needs to have the features of a normal circuit board

abrahamstechnology

30 May 2019, 04:33

Return to “Workshop”