Alps Appreciation

abrahamstechnology

17 Apr 2019, 15:06

Chyros

17 Apr 2019, 15:28

Indeed! Also interesting to see SKCM Cream with a logo, don't think I've seen that before. Also fairly rare to see a non-NeXT with them in!

Drclick

17 Apr 2019, 17:20

Chyros wrote:
Indeed! Also interesting to see SKCM Cream with a logo, don't think I've seen that before. Also fairly rare to see a non-NeXT with them in!
In the Wiki there is a photo with logo, but I'm don't know where that came from.

Damonskv

17 Apr 2019, 18:57

Chyros wrote:
Here you are

Bull kbu-1971

Chyros

17 Apr 2019, 23:09

Oof. That is luvleh :D .

BloodyKafir

17 Apr 2019, 23:28

Im in love with brown alps, but I need to sell some of mine. I hoarded about 600 of them, and just dont need the extra boards lol.

zrrion

18 Apr 2019, 02:14

Family photo with all but 2 of my SKCC boards:
I still want to get a Nabu and Morrows SKCC board so maybe in the future I can retake this with even more boards.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

18 Apr 2019, 03:04

zrrion wrote:
I still want to get a Nabu and Morrows SKCC board so maybe in the future I can retake this with even more boards.
Awwww yeah! Man, that is such a unique ALPSaver - very cool. The custom legends you put on it are awesome! Is that upper left one a logo for something?

ZedTheMan

18 Apr 2019, 03:45

zrrion wrote:
Wow, you've got a lot of SKCCs!
Do you think they are as susceptible to dust and wear as the SKCL/SKCM line?

zrrion

18 Apr 2019, 06:36

@gains: The symbol is the logo for JEOL. I use it as a windows key and it has an external coil spring to prevent accidentally pressing it when I miss backspace.

@Zed: I haven't really done too much with bad ALPS switches in general, the SKCM/SKCL switches I've had are generally in decent enough shape and SKCC have also been pretty good. I do like opening SKCC more, and since SKCC only has 2 things that can vary between switches, tall/short and light/heavy, as long as the board can be externally cleaned you can get switches from a pingmaster to transplant fairly easily. I don't really like harvesting like that, and you generally shouldn't have to in my experience unless you break a stem or a housing tab.

I find that a lot of the SKCC boards I've come across are older and were usually from a work environment, and not from someone's personal computer, and as such I feel like they were usually treated more like expensive tools than SKCM/SKCL boards were. The exception being the M0110, which are from personal computers making them both more common and more likely to be in bad shape. They also have the least interesting caps so I tend to pass on them. As a result I rarely need to do all that much to the switches besides opening them and blowing the switches out. They probably are similarly susceptible to wear though given how similar the design and materials are.

Obscure

19 Apr 2019, 14:36

Just new to the forum, I want to say hello.
See my contribution here (how I cleaned the contacts): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Aml8VihQM
Nothing spectacular - it won't save the world, but it healed my board.

the_ambyguous

22 Apr 2019, 05:51

Drclick wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 06:45

I got these two boards months ago, they are from HP R/332 Instrument Controller.
There are two varieties: undamped SKCM Creams and SKCM Blacks, like NeXT Non-ADB keyboards.
Creams have the "ALPS" logo on the top, pretty smooth and feel good to use, but Blacks feel a bit sandy.
I can't see any difference between these two with caps, so if you want to purchase one, make sure they are creams. :D
this is incredible. whats even more incredible is how sparse these boards are. did HP decide to put alps on only two different models of their products? man tech must have just been one crazy cluster fuck in the 80's. a quick browse through the red print HP keyboards on ebay and you discover HP not only manufactured keyboards in singapore, malaysia, and japan, but the US as well. oof.
undampened creams remain an elusive alps switch i have yet to try. ive heard its superior to skcm orange's. i dont doubt it

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 Apr 2019, 21:44

Sorry for a silly newbie-esque post, but I want to order some Alps caps, a Tai Hao Dolch set, maybe something else, and a couple of CapsLocks that will fit vintage boards like AT101 and Omnikey.

I live in the US, is it best to order from Tai Hao or somewhere in the West? Looking at Mechanical Keyboards I don't see the CapsLock and the Alps selection looks scarce. Am I just not doing it right?

Thanks

abrahamstechnology

24 Apr 2019, 02:17

fohat wrote:
Sorry for a silly newbie-esque post, but I want to order some Alps caps, a Tai Hao Dolch set, maybe something else, and a couple of CapsLocks that will fit vintage boards like AT101 and Omnikey.

I live in the US, is it best to order from Tai Hao or somewhere in the West? Looking at Mechanical Keyboards I don't see the CapsLock and the Alps selection looks scarce. Am I just not doing it right?

Thanks
I'd recommend just going for the Tai-Hao shop. They have the stepped capslock for the Dolch colorway only at the moment.

Interestingly enough, they sent me some bottom row Alps caps in random colors, perhaps a teaser for what's to come?

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

24 Apr 2019, 04:13

Gave my NIB Omni101 some new caps =)

Primuds

24 Apr 2019, 08:21

Cool, where did you get those bopomofo keycaps from gainsborough?

Chyros

24 Apr 2019, 09:13

fohat wrote:

Thanks
The Tai-Hao sets only come with one type of Caps Lock; there are no alt keycaps in the sets. Tai-Hao do sell loose stepped Caps Lock ones, but only black ones from what I remember. There are five sets off the top of my head; Dolch red, Dolch brown, black (don't think you can get those anymore), Miami, Tomcat, and a newish set that's red and grey.

I wouldn't bother getting the sets off of them, they are sold on eBay and several mech shops :) .

Also, very nice OmniKey that! :D

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

24 Apr 2019, 09:26

Primuds wrote:
From this interesting fellow:

The board is (was?) NOS - the switches are bamboo complicated white alps. I replaced the caps and am actually going to post it for sale here soon. Anyone interested in a NOS wonky board with a pen plugged into it? :lol:
Chyros wrote:
Thanks!
Last edited by //gainsborough on 24 Apr 2019, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

Primuds

24 Apr 2019, 16:20

Chyros wrote:
The Tai-Hao sets only come with one type of Caps Lock; there are no alt keycaps in the sets. Tai-Hao do sell loose stepped Caps Lock ones, but only black ones from what I remember. There are five sets off the top of my head; Dolch red, Dolch brown, black (don't think you can get those anymore), Miami, Tomcat, and a newish set that's red and grey.

I wouldn't bother getting the sets off of them, they are sold on eBay and several mech shops :) .

I just saw the black 104-key ANSI set on mechanicalkeyboards.com if anybody is interested in those.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=4309

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 Apr 2019, 23:45

Chyros wrote:

I wouldn't bother getting the sets off of them, they are sold on eBay and several mech shops
I don't know, they seem just as pricey anywhere and the white-on-black CapsLock (one of my primary quests, along with the even more difficult old-school space bar) doesn't seem to be listed anywhere else.

ZedTheMan

25 Apr 2019, 01:01

She is nearly complete!
The wonky 102 now has a black heart, and she feels rather blue, inside and out.

She just needs a golden smile!
Attachments
0424191745b.jpg
0424191745b.jpg (670.05 KiB) Viewed 8293 times
0424191745c.jpg
0424191745c.jpg (777.82 KiB) Viewed 8293 times

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

25 Apr 2019, 02:29

//gainsborough wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 09:26
Primuds wrote:
From this interesting fellow:

The board is (was?) NOS - the switches are bamboo complicated white alps. I replaced the caps and am actually going to post it for sale here soon. Anyone interested in a NOS wonky board with a pen plugged into it? :lol:
Chyros wrote:
Thanks!
Those are incredible. They definitely got the upgraded home they deserve.
ZedTheMan wrote:
She is nearly complete!

Those blue leds look DOPE!

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

25 Apr 2019, 04:30

ZedTheMan wrote:
She is nearly complete!

Awwwwww yeah!!!!! That looks great, dude!!!! Agreed with snacks, the blue LEDs are pretty cool!

ZedTheMan

25 Apr 2019, 04:38

snacksthecat wrote:

//gainsborough wrote:
Awwwwww yeah!!!!! That looks great, dude!!!! Agreed with snacks, the blue LEDs are pretty cool!
Thanks for the kind words, both of you. This thing is awesome now that it's finally put together. I agree, the blue LEDs really work well. I tried quite a few different resistors to find the right light level I wanted from them, I found them to be ideal with a 100kOhm resistor.
I've still got a few oddities with the firmware, such as any key with caps lock assigned to it outputting the signal for control, and the scroll lock light not turning on, but for now, I'm happy with it. Once I can get a gold badge or replicate one, I'll probably write up a review.

Chyros

25 Apr 2019, 07:27

ZedTheMan wrote:
snacksthecat wrote:

//gainsborough wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, both of you. This thing is awesome now that it's finally put together. I agree, the blue LEDs really work well. I tried quite a few different resistors to find the right light level I wanted from them, I found them to be ideal with a 100kOhm resistor.
I've still got a few oddities with the firmware, such as any key with caps lock assigned to it outputting the signal for control, and the scroll lock light not turning on, but for now, I'm happy with it. Once I can get a gold badge or replicate one, I'll probably write up a review.
I'd try to replicate the badge tbh. The gold-badge OmniKey is different from the more modern one in several ways.

ZedTheMan

25 Apr 2019, 07:30

Chyros wrote:
ZedTheMan wrote:
snacksthecat wrote:

//gainsborough wrote:
I'd try to replicate the badge tbh. The gold-badge OmniKey is different from the more modern one in several ways.

Different dimensions on the sticker? I had considered it. This is one of the older revisions of the non gold badge Omnikeys, at least, the case is, so the sticker should be the same size. The real problem I've had with replication is that it's really hard for me to find someone who will do stickers/metal badges at those dimensions for a reasonable price.

Chyros

25 Apr 2019, 09:09

ZedTheMan wrote:
Chyros wrote:
ZedTheMan wrote:

Different dimensions on the sticker? I had considered it. This is one of the older revisions of the non gold badge Omnikeys, at least, the case is, so the sticker should be the same size. The real problem I've had with replication is that it's really hard for me to find someone who will do stickers/metal badges at those dimensions for a reasonable price.
I hadn't even considered the badge size tbh. But I wouldn't be surprised if the cases weren't even interchangeable. The gold-badge model doesn't have DIP switches, no NKRO, uses an AT/XT switch instead, has a different layout, etc. It's more different than you'd think. Watch my review on it if you're interested.

ZedTheMan

25 Apr 2019, 16:42

Chyros wrote:
ZedTheMan wrote:
Chyros wrote:

I hadn't even considered the badge size tbh. But I wouldn't be surprised if the cases weren't even interchangeable. The gold-badge model doesn't have DIP switches, no NKRO, uses an AT/XT switch instead, has a different layout, etc. It's more different than you'd think. Watch my review on it if you're interested.
I think you may be confused as to the plan I have had. I have no intentions to actually get a gold badge Omnikey. The plan was to take mine and give it the best of both worlds from the start. NKRO, programmability thanks to the Blackheart PCB (mine used a slightly older layout, notice the shorter top bezel, it's closer to the gold badge 102s than the later 102s, so I had to chop the PCB and handwire it back together after some trimming), and excellent condition SKCM blues from an OEMMAX board of mine.
All it's missing is the gold label, whether it be an original or a replica.

Wazrach

25 Apr 2019, 17:49

ZedTheMan wrote:
Chyros wrote:
ZedTheMan wrote:

I think you may be confused as to the plan I have had. I have no intentions to actually get a gold badge Omnikey. The plan was to take mine and give it the best of both worlds from the start. NKRO, programmability thanks to the Blackheart PCB (mine used a slightly older layout, notice the shorter top bezel, it's closer to the gold badge 102s than the later 102s, so I had to chop the PCB and handwire it back together after some trimming), and excellent condition SKCM blues from an OEMMAX board of mine.
Hiya Zed, hope you're well. How would you go about making a replica? I've wanted to produce custom industrial IBM badges for a while, but not sure how or where to look. Wouldn't mind making my own HHKB sticker either.

ZedTheMan

25 Apr 2019, 17:54

Wazrach wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 17:49
ZedTheMan wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Hiya Zed, hope you're well. How would you go about making a replica? I've wanted to produce custom industrial IBM badges for a while, but not sure how or where to look. Wouldn't mind making my own HHKB sticker either.
Honestly, that's where I'm lost!

I was looking at nametag making and sticker making sites, and the nametag one seemed reasonably priced and would even let me use a gold finish similar to the original badge, but they couldn't do dimensions small enough to fit the badge size. So, I've been looking at sticker sites and I guess that's where I'm still looking.

Return to “Keyboards”