Pretty good mail day

nelamvr6

04 May 2019, 19:32

OK, I had a pretty good day at the mailbox. Received a couple of new toys:
IMG_20190504_124537.jpg
IMG_20190504_124537.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3984 times
On the bottom is a white label Model M, born on 7/26/90. It came from ClickyKeyboards.com, expertly refurbished, with a complete screw mod. It' super clean, all the keys feel and sound amazing, I'm typing this on it now.

On the top is a Model F AT, an eBay find, unknown born on date, buy pretty clean. All the keys feel and sound amazing, I'll be trying it after I spend a few days typing on this beast.

I must say that after using a TKL for so long, a full size keyboard seems huge.

Fkazim

04 May 2019, 20:20

Wow great finds you will get many years of enjoyable use out of them :D

nelamvr6

04 May 2019, 20:21

I agree, these things will no doubt outlive me!

depletedvespene

04 May 2019, 21:24

Catalog them properly and assign them in your will to people who will appreciate them.

On one hand, it's cool to get a deal on eBay for a cheap Model M (or F, etc.) from a seller who's getting rid of items from a "estate sale". On the other hand, one day we'll all be on the other side of that.

Meanwhile, ENJOY those keyboards! :)

nelamvr6

04 May 2019, 22:09

Thanks! I wish I had gotten the Model F anywhere close to cheap. But based on my search efforts to find one, I'm just glad I got one so clean. Right now I'm just going to enjoy it, buy eventually I'll have to tear it down and do the refurb.

Wazrach

04 May 2019, 23:02

nelamvr6 wrote:
04 May 2019, 22:09
Thanks! I wish I had gotten the Model F anywhere close to cheap. But based on my search efforts to find one, I'm just glad I got one so clean. Right now I'm just going to enjoy it, buy eventually I'll have to tear it down and do the refurb.
You couldn't have paid more than I did for the F-122 I'm (hopefully) getting in a few days. Despite the inflated prices nowadays, they're still not as expensive as they were back in the day. What model did you get? :D

nelamvr6

04 May 2019, 23:06

It's a Model F AT, but apart from that I don't know anything more.

I haven't taken it apart yet, and there aren't any stickers on the back. Is there any way to know without taking it apart?

I will definitely be taking it apart and doing a refurb eventually, but right now everything is working and sounding and feeling wonderful, and I'm afraid of what I'll see if I crack it open!

lhutton

05 May 2019, 01:59

With the Model F just be careful with the foam. If it falls apart on disassembly you'll need to fabricate a replacement since AFAIK there aren't a good sources of Model F parts like there are Model M parts.

With F's I tend to take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. Model M's I'll take apart and clean all day every day.

nelamvr6

05 May 2019, 02:42

lhutton wrote:
05 May 2019, 01:59
With the Model F just be careful with the foam. If it falls apart on disassembly you'll need to fabricate a replacement since AFAIK there aren't a good sources of Model F parts like there are Model M parts.

With F's I tend to take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. Model M's I'll take apart and clean all day every day.
That approach plays right into my wheelhouse!

nelamvr6

05 May 2019, 02:44

Here is the Model F at work as my new daily driver: Image

Fkazim

05 May 2019, 04:27

Wow you are brave to take it to work I have an F AT and they are LOUD you got your own private office or something?

Also I use the IBM Model F AT as my daily driver at home for working and also gaming and it works great.

BTW have you checked the foam is good in your IBM Model F AT?

nelamvr6

05 May 2019, 05:15

Fkazim wrote:
05 May 2019, 04:27
Wow you are brave to take it to work I have an F AT and they are LOUD you got your own private office or something?

Also I use the IBM Model F AT as my daily driver at home for working and also gaming and it works great.

BTW have you checked the foam is good in your IBM Model F AT?
No, I'm not working in an office, that's my daily driver at home. When I'm working I work at nuclear power plants, and I use an FC660C, nice and quiet.

I haven't taken it apart, and I'm not going to until I'm ready to do a full refurb. Right now everything's working perfectly, so I'm just happily using it.

Fkazim

05 May 2019, 12:18

Ok no problem about the foam I made a good guide here on desktority on the full restoration, foam replacement and layout change I changed to ISO UK layout but you could always ANSI mod it here is the log if you are interested.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21167

nelamvr6

05 May 2019, 13:19

Fkazim wrote:
05 May 2019, 12:18
Ok no problem about the foam I made a good guide here on desktority on the full restoration, foam replacement and layout change I changed to ISO UK layout but you could always ANSI mod it here is the log if you are interested.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21167
Thanks! There are actually quite a few restoration logs here that I plan on using for inspiration and guidance once I do decide to refurb mine.

Fkazim

05 May 2019, 13:40

You should be ok with the restoration although schedule a lot of time for the refurb as it is not a quick process good luck :D

nelamvr6

05 May 2019, 14:13

Fkazim wrote:
05 May 2019, 13:40
You should be ok with the restoration although schedule a lot of time for the refurb as it is not a quick process good luck :D
Thanks! :D

Return to “Keyboards”