NEC PC-8801
22%
NExT Non-ADB
22%

Total votes: 18

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

11 Apr 2019, 01:36

I've been on a kick fitting vintage boards into new "custom" cases.

But I need some help deciding what to focus on next.

Please take a second to vote on what you think would make a new cool next project for me. I'll post the whole process in this thread.

Thanks for reading.

Findecanor

11 Apr 2019, 02:06

Here's what I think:

• The only thing lacking with the Packard-Bell keyboard is that it has a Packard-Bell logo.
• The VideoWriter could do with a USB mod.
• The IBM 5140 keyboard belongs in its IBM 5140.
• The Zenith SuperSport is a SuperCool laptop. You should upgrade it with modern components.
• The NEC PC-8801 keyboard is beautiful as it is.
• The NeXT keyboard is a classic. You should get the mouse and display them as a set.

AbstraktDesignLab

02 May 2019, 23:33

I am a massive nerd regarding IBM products, so I would love to see someone make something out of the 5140. I also think that something like a Raspbi conversion of the whole PC convertible would be super cool.

abrahamstechnology

03 May 2019, 00:01

Please do the Zenith! Perhaps use Cherry low-profile switches in PCB mount so it will fit the laptop.

abrahamstechnology

03 May 2019, 00:02

Another idea: how about an Omron B3G-S board?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

06 May 2019, 02:21

Somewhere along the way I decided that I'd also like to do a Wang 724. I'm going to design an Alps TKL PCB for this build. Would anyone be interested in a copy of the PCB? If so, what features and layouts should I do?

adamcobabe

06 May 2019, 05:37

snacksthecat wrote:
Somewhere along the way I decided that I'd also like to do a Wang 724. I'm going to design an Alps TKL PCB for this build. Would anyone be interested in a copy of the PCB? If so, what features and layouts should I do?
I'm keen. I would love to be able to put a simple alps pcb into a modern aluminum case that I already own. If I could put one in a Norbauer Novatouch case, that would be pretty cool. It's a standard TKL layout, so a bit boring, though.

The various Omnikey layouts cover lots of standard Alps layouts and keycap sets, obviously without the number pad and left hand F-keys. :)

Last edited by adamcobabe on 06 May 2019, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

abrahamstechnology

06 May 2019, 05:45

snacksthecat wrote:
A Tai-Hao ANSI layout would be great.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

07 May 2019, 01:52

abrahamstechnology wrote:
06 May 2019, 05:45
Spoiler:
snacksthecat wrote:
A Tai-Hao ANSI layout would be great.
Thanks! Covered!
adamcobabe wrote:
06 May 2019, 05:37
Spoiler:
snacksthecat wrote:
I'm keen. I would love to be able to put a simple alps pcb into a modern aluminum case that I already own. If I could put one in a Norbauer Novatouch case, that would be pretty cool. It's a standard TKL layout, so a bit boring, though.

The various Omnikey layouts cover lots of standard Alps layouts and keycap sets, obviously without the number pad and left hand F-keys. :)

Wow, that image is a great resource. I wasn't aware of the four 1u keys in the bottom row. This is easy enough to add support for. I'm going to use this image as a reference point since it seems to cover most of the "standard" configurations. Thank you again.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

07 May 2019, 02:14

I'm still very new to PCB design but I feel like I've got all the basics covered thanks to some great tutorials and references.

One thing I can definitely improve on is my routing. I depended on autorouting for my past PCBs but this one I laid out in a very neat grid so it is easy to route and I think I can handle it.

One thing I noticed when looking at Hasu's Alps64 design; he surrounded the two USB data lines with Gnd traces on either side. I'm guessing this is to protect from electrical interference or something. This will make routing more difficult but I would like to implement this technique as well, if I can.

Any other pro-tips like this that people can share? I'm not trying to do anything crazy, just trying to make sure that I do things the "right" way. I would like to order 5-10 copies of this Alps TKL PCB and sell off the extras at cost for other interested parties. The last thing I want is for someone's PCB to fail due to my error.

Also, I'm aware of other Alps TKL PCBs like Leeku Alphas and the h87a group buy. Are there any features absent in these PCBs that you'd like to see in an alternative? Or maybe even features that these PCBs have that you'd like to see in this alternative. If those are both eventually available off-the-shelf, then my thought is "maybe we don't need another option". Nevertheless, I'm going to continue this project for my own needs and still float it out there to other DT members.

One simple thing that I did manage to add is a USB breakout so that people can solder in an OG cable if they want. I stole this idea from another project that I'm working on with some other members. Note, not my picture -- let me know if you'd like me to take it down.

Cheers and thanks for letting me know your thoughts.

abrahamstechnology

17 May 2019, 21:07

Another suggestion, perhaps support for SMK switches?
Searched the web for hours and finally found footprints: https://github.com/lfkeyboards/public/t ... ard.pretty

Return to “Workshop”