IBM XKB-3 186-146 Rev D1

Rezene

05 May 2019, 22:40

Does anybody know what the story is behind this keyboard? It looks like a referbished xt in at at box. What do all the letters mean? I saw this on ebay /https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-XK ... %7Ciid%3A1

xxhellfirexx

05 May 2019, 23:03

It means it has been modified.

viewtopic.php?t=12293

Wazrach

05 May 2019, 23:12

Rezene wrote:
05 May 2019, 22:40
Does anybody know what the story is behind this keyboard? It looks like a referbished xt in at at box. What do all the letters mean? I saw this on ebay /https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-XK ... %7Ciid%3A1
I can confirm that it is a modified unit. I bought an XT in its original box, with a sticker on the box saying it belonged to "Radiation Sciences Incorporated". Mine was also an "XKB-3" with these interesting modifications. I simply removed them because the grounding screw was pressing against the back panel.

Mine was in excellent condition, with no rust anywhere and very light dust. The foam was also lovely and spongy still. I would honestly just buy it.

twasa

06 May 2019, 17:00

I also got an "XKB-3" from the same seller last year. At the time I wasn't even aware that such modifications existed. Can it be undone, or is the only option an xwhatsit controller replacement?

Wazrach

06 May 2019, 17:14

twasa wrote:
06 May 2019, 17:00
I also got an "XKB-3" from the same seller last year. At the time I wasn't even aware that such modifications existed. Can it be undone, or is the only option an xwhatsit controller replacement?
There's no reason to undo the controller modifications, but you can definitely remove the extra grounding parts.

twasa

06 May 2019, 17:32

I tried it with one of Orihalcon's XT converter cables and none of the keys corresponded with what keystroke was received. Would that be caused by the modifications and would it be fixed if the extra grounding parts were removed?

Wazrach

06 May 2019, 17:40

twasa wrote:
06 May 2019, 17:32
I tried it with one of Orihalcon's XT converter cables and none of the keys corresponded with what keystroke was received. Would that be caused by the modifications and would it be fixed if the extra grounding parts were removed?
So it just didn't work at all? That's unusual. I feared that would be the case for mine, but it worked perfectly. Is the cable grounded to the back panel? Is the PCB grounded to the backplate?

twasa

06 May 2019, 17:47

I'll have to check again whether it is properly grounded. I sort of just gave up on it, thinking that that is the price of ignorance.

Return to “Keyboards”