Help With the Rarity of this Board

Donnelly20

08 May 2019, 22:21

So i occasionally watch Chyrosran22' keyboard reviews and i recently picked up a Gateway 2000 Anykey keyboard after watching his video on it.

In his video he is reviewing on older model than mine with an ANSI layout and the board only has a single unit backspace key. My keyboard is an ISO layout and has a double unit backspace key. I have only been able to find one other keyboard that has a double unit backspace key and it was an old ebay listing for an azerty layout of the board.

I have gathered from the wikipedia page that my version of the board is the 4th with the model no.2191011-14-002.I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my version of the board is common or harder to find than the typical Anykey.

Im aware these boards are not that sought after i was able to find many current listings for them on ebay, in fact i have only found one for well over 100$ and the seller was not even sure if the board worked or not. Here is a picture of my board.I also wonder about cleaning the caps i know theyre double shot abs caps, i have heard denture tablets are the best solution. is this ok to use on abs ?
Also the front chassis is quite yellowed and i would like to revert this, i know of retrobrite but its not that viable in my country as there is not a whole lot of sun even during summer.

Findecanor

08 May 2019, 23:07

Donnelly20 wrote:
i have heard denture tablets are the best solution. is this ok to use on abs ?
I have had no problems with denture tablets. There could be a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in them, but I don't think it is enough to cause damage.
I find it convenient to wash, rinse and dry keycaps all together in a cloth washing bag with zipper. I would use maybe five tablets for that amount of keys.

But first get a keycap puller for removing the keycaps. The type with two wire loops is the gentlest, and most useful with larger keys. The H-shaped type is the fastest.
Donnelly20 wrote:
Also the front chassis is quite yellowed and i would like to revert this, i know of retrobrite but its not that viable in my country as there is not a whole lot of sun even during summer.
If you don't have much sun, you could retr0bright with heat instead of UV, or a combination. The tricky part is how to regulate the temperature.
Here is a discussion about it: Retrobright 2.0 - No more UV light!.
In his latest video on Youtube, The 8-bit guy used a combination of warm water and sun in a black container covered with plastic wrap. The sun did not just provide UV but it also heated the black container while the plastic kept the warmth inside.

Donnelly20

08 May 2019, 23:26

Im not sure yet because i have not gotten the denture tablets but i have viewed them on a website of a pharmacy near me, it looks to be a small tube with 30 tables which im guessing means the tablets are also small, the ones i have seen being used online are big tablets in a foil packet will this make a difference. Also the method i have came across is to put warm water in a bowl put the tablets in for 30 minutes and the guy took them out and let them dry but i think i will agitate my keys with something before i let them dry maybe a micro fibre cloth. i may also be able to use an air compressor to blow out the water.

Findecanor

09 May 2019, 01:59

Donnelly20 wrote:
08 May 2019, 23:26
Im not sure yet because i have not gotten the denture tablets but i have viewed them on a website of a pharmacy near me, it looks to be a small tube with 30 tables which im guessing means the tablets are also small, the ones i have seen being used online are big tablets in a foil packet will this make a difference.
Good question. I have never seen those. As long as they work the same way I suppose it would be only a question of how many you need.

Return to “Keyboards”