Is it possible to mod a keycap to fit a different stem?

Raumfahrer

11 May 2019, 10:53

There are these keycaps I saw in a video from Chyros and they just struck me as beautiful.
Now, I do not have them but, was wondering - should I ever get my hands on something like this, how difficult would it be to mod them to fit a more common stem type, such as Alps or MX?
Spoiler:
note: screenshot is from the said Chyros video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwnzZNdINzc

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 May 2019, 10:55

you could 3d print some kind of adapter but the keycaps usually end up being a little taller

Raumfahrer

11 May 2019, 11:01

matt3o wrote:
11 May 2019, 10:55
you could 3d print some kind of adapter but the keycaps usually end up being a little taller
thanks for the answer. I guess that would be the way.
I guess the first step is getting those caps... of which I have no idea then somehow learn about all 3d printing!
the rabbit hole has gotten deeper

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 May 2019, 11:09

welcome to wonderland, Alice

Raumfahrer

11 May 2019, 11:17

It goes deeper than I imagined .

If someone knows where I can get caps like this , I’ll start the project. I would appreciate any leads

Findecanor

11 May 2019, 11:47

Except for the legends, are they really that much different from SA profile?

Signature Plastics does also support pad-printing, which I think is not as expensive as double-shot moulding custom legends.

Raumfahrer

11 May 2019, 12:20

I actually don’t know how different they are from SA but the alphas look like they have deep bowls (unless it’s a lighting effect). Other than that I can’t really say since I do not have them physically.

Pad printing is one way, but then a lot charm will be lost

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 May 2019, 16:11

Findecanor wrote:
11 May 2019, 11:47
Except for the legends, are they really that much different from SA profile?
they look deeper dishes than SA and the corners seem a tad rounder too. That what I can say looking at the top. Would be nice to check the whole keycap body

Raumfahrer

12 May 2019, 06:28

They definitely look rounder and deeper - the legends / sub legends look great as well.

There was another Alphameric set for sale in the forum by Aran I believe— it has a different but also nice looking keycap set

Return to “Keyboards”