Shall we have a DTA 2019?

Slom

11 May 2019, 00:54

Are there any plans going on in the background for this years awards already?

If not, shall we start a discussion here and now (as opposed to two weeks notice like last year)?

I really want to see the best picture awards come back this year, would even consider organizing it myself.
Last edited by Slom on 13 May 2019, 22:32, edited 2 times in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 May 2019, 11:06

yes we shall. I was planning on starting a discussion in June, but it's fine talking about it here.

There's also another project I'd like to introduce: Deskthority Calendar. I'd like to run a "best picture award" in a couple of months from now and the best 12 pictures end up in the calendar. The best one overall gets the calendar cover. The calendar will be sold short after and proceedings will go for paying the server and whatnot. The 12 winners will get the calendar free. Best picture overall also gets [something] (wingnut maybe?).

Of course the end-of-the-year awards won't have "best picture" section.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 May 2019, 19:45

I see the calendar thing passed completely unnoticed

ZedTheMan

12 May 2019, 19:58

Thanks for the bump. I like the calendar idea, sounds like a good way to hype up engagement.

Slom

13 May 2019, 22:30

matt3o wrote:
No it didn't. I am just slow to answer, which is why I started the thread so early ;)

I think I had a similar thought at some point in the past, minus the actual calendar thing. Like having monthly competition and then during the DTA we vote for the best of the monthly winners ... something like that. But then we would need 13 votes in 12 months, and we would need to start in -5 months at the latest (sorry, "software developer disease" is seeing only edge cases, and things that don't work, everywhere :) )

So, to take a step back, any other categories people would like to see (again) this year?

nelamvr6

13 May 2019, 22:35

I for one would definitely love to buy a Deskthority calendar!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 May 2019, 22:50

DT calendar only if it features kbdfr in a mankini

Like the Pirelli calendar but with keyboards and nerds

TheInverseKey

13 May 2019, 22:57

Geek in Calendars reminds of this:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 May 2019, 09:00

my only concern is that 12 pictures are a lot and we might not even receive that many

ZedTheMan

15 May 2019, 09:03

I will do my part to add a picture!

I need to think of what would look best, haha.

depletedvespene

15 May 2019, 20:22

matt3o wrote:
No self-respecting themed calendar would be complete without at least two "On this day" entries per month. Do we even have a list of these around?

elecplus

15 May 2019, 20:25

"On this day" computer events are posted online. Such as when xxx old computer or terminal was introduced, etc.
https://www.computerhistory.org/tdih/

depletedvespene

15 May 2019, 20:29

Wodan wrote:
If we're gonna go with staged pictures of DT personalities, we all know what the December picture is gonna be, right?
Spoiler:
chyros and wodan mudwrestling, while MX switches keep raining on them and someone off stage readies a large bowl of peanut butter. :twisted:

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

15 May 2019, 22:22

On this day last year I worked at my company's electronics recycling event.

I found an Apple Adjustable numeric keypad and mouse and gave both away to DT member @eatanygoodbooks

A few months later I received an Apple postcard from him/her visit to Cupertino. Unfortunately, I didn't find the postcard until several months after but I was touched by the gesture.

Speaking of which, @elecplus, when am I going back to the recycler? I need another fun mission like that!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 May 2019, 08:47

is anyone willing to help me with the best photo award?

Slom

16 May 2019, 08:49

matt3o wrote:
I am

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 May 2019, 11:24

Slom wrote:
16 May 2019, 08:49
matt3o wrote:
I am
okay then how would you proceed?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 May 2019, 19:08

matt3o wrote:
15 May 2019, 09:00
my only concern is that 12 pictures are a lot and we might not even receive that many
I can find 12 pictures if you are looking for vintage keyboards. I guess it would be good to decide what mix of eras are needed for the keyboard pictures.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 May 2019, 20:03

for the first "contest" I'd say no strict rule, as long as it's keyboard or just keyboard related

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 May 2019, 08:44

So, to be a little more specific. this is what we'd need to do:

- Contact the sponsors and see if we can put some prize on the table, I think I should have 1 keycap set from Signature Plastics left from last year's DTA
- Put down some rules for the 2020 DT Calendar. We need at the very least 12 images. Possibly 13 since most calendars include January of the following year. 14 if we want a different cover. All images need to be copyright free or the author must grant full unlimited usage to DT. People can post multiple images
- Once the award is over I'll make a mini-run of 5 calendars to check the quality and layout. This run is on me.
- If everything's fine we start taking orders for the calendar. Ideally we want 100 of them but I understand it's a lot. I need someone who collects orders (on DT paypal account) and sends me either a formatted file with shipping labels or the labels already printed. (If you have other ideas, please share)
- If all goes well it could be €10-15/calendar shipped. About 60% goes to cover expenses, the rest goes to DT. Aka webwit who will drink piñacoladas on us. If all goes well they could be shipped around September.

Obscure

21 May 2019, 18:58

please define the min/max percentage of bare skin per image.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 May 2019, 09:05

I'm clearly unable to get people involved

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 May 2019, 09:20

matt3o wrote:
22 May 2019, 09:05
I'm clearly unable to get people involved
I can suck up to some companies and beg for goodies

And I am planning to send in TONS of hot hot hot pics.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 May 2019, 10:05

May I suggest that sponsors can add special dates to the calendar based on their contribution?
If we could get Alps as a sponsor they could add the date the SKCM design was patented as a highlighted date or something like that ...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 May 2019, 10:18

Wodan wrote:
22 May 2019, 10:05
May I suggest that sponsors can add special dates to the calendar based on their contribution?
If we could get Alps as a sponsor they could add the date the SKCM design was patented as a highlighted date or something like that ...
that's actually sweet... and something we should do anyway :)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 May 2019, 10:22

Oh yeah totally - we should be collecting noteworthy dates an add them to the calendar (props to depletedvespene) but also offer this as a little incentive for sponsors!

I could sponsor it and put my birthday in there!!!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 May 2019, 10:54

we should start from a list of important dates. "January 29" is of course DT birthday

AdrianMan

23 May 2019, 18:11

matt3o wrote:
17 May 2019, 08:44
So, to be a little more specific. this is what we'd need to do:
- If everything's fine we start taking orders for the calendar. Ideally we want 100 of them but I understand it's a lot. I need someone who collects orders (on DT paypal account) and sends me either a formatted file with shipping labels or the labels already printed. (If you have other ideas, please share)
I could do this.
Wodan wrote:

Like the Pirelli calendar but with keyboards and nerds
I would like this a lot :))

ZedTheMan

23 May 2019, 18:35

I'm up to purchase a calendar and contribute to pictures.

Obscure

25 May 2019, 01:00

me too
I would appreciate a motto or style-guidelines. Like 70s 80s 90s office environment, Sexy or nerdy, funny or bone dry serious (which will be funny as well) Just keyboards or people involved? I'd like to know just before i ask the models to dress off...
But a first round of photographs will determine the direction, I think.
I like the special dates. Just random but interesting things. e.g. Date of 100M cherry switch sold or Greenock closing day etc... List can develop over years...

Return to “Deskthority talk”