Great/Interesting Finds

JP!

13 May 2019, 04:32

That is insane. It's gonna sell for about $4 a switch, right? :lol:
Last edited by JP! on 13 May 2019, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

ZedTheMan

13 May 2019, 04:33

zrrion wrote:
13 May 2019, 04:20
I would like to call dibs on that if no one objects.
I, uh, won't object this time. That may be just a tad too big for the keyboard wall

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

13 May 2019, 04:34

zrrion wrote:
13 May 2019, 04:20
I would like to call dibs on that if no one objects.
I was gonna throw a bid at it, hahah. I'll pass if whoever wins it promises to make a thread about it and document it!

JP!

13 May 2019, 04:47

I feel like this keyboard belongs in Japan. Would be neat to see it documented though.

E3E

13 May 2019, 05:14

Certainly waaaaay too big for my place. I agree though - it seems like it'd be best for it to stay in Japan.

Whoever gets it though, it would be interesting to hear about. I have a feeling that it contains SKCL, if not some other Alps of the same era. I don't think it is SKCC unless the bezels are simply extremely high profile and cover most of the skirting of the caps (thus making them appear lower profile than they actually are). There's also the ever-familiar rectangular SKCL LED window.

Who knows~?

The one who buys it will~

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

13 May 2019, 12:49

Obscure

15 May 2019, 16:47

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMADZU-ALTEX ... 1398786487

I have got such a thing. Mine has a Fujitsu N860-8233-T002 06 B board inside. linear magnetic reeds. I`d love to have a board with these, sadly just 39 of them...

cli

17 May 2019, 08:33

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Laser- ... 3054386159

Nice 1'st gen ALPS White switches and double shot keycaps. Work with most cheapass PS/2 USB adapters, build qualtity not as good as a Omnikey, but better then later Monterey or Dell AT101 keyboard.

xicanoink

17 May 2019, 16:45

swampangel wrote:
09 May 2019, 14:57
Keybug wrote:
09 May 2019, 09:35
swampangel wrote:
08 May 2019, 22:50
Reveal-branded KB-5181 with box $70USD ("clicker feel")
Supposedly NIB and has blues Montereys / SMK clickies. Nice for you North Americans...
Oh I didn't see that there was a switch photo originally, I figured it was a gamble.

Even to Canada, shipping + duty is $45USD :|
I jumped on it.

First time experiencing Monterey blues. Super clicky and snappy. Very happy with the purchase.

The board is in pristine shape, new. The lower left side did have a ding. Don't know if it was from shipping or pre-existing. So the tab holding it together was popped out. I popped it back in and you don't even notice it.

Will say the case is very plasticky and creaky. A lot of flex. Not a very solid base for such cool switches.

Still, glad I now own it!

Keybug

17 May 2019, 22:08

Yeah, got myself another 5182 yesterday (pine white ALPS but on each one plastic stab clip of Enter and right Shift broke during shipping), they really aren't built much better than the lowly 519Xs. Still, nice catch!

cli

17 May 2019, 22:36

cli

17 May 2019, 22:38

Cid Fabel

17 May 2019, 23:15

https://www.ebay.de/itm/REUTERS-DK-3000 ... 0010.m2109

One of these Reuters Boards. If I could get it working and shipping to Germany wasn't twice what the board costs.. :D

CountNoctua

17 May 2019, 23:44

cli wrote:
09 May 2019, 12:26
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Vtech- ... 3752719421
Laser III Keyboard
Not new, but also a SMK 2nd generation, but this one with Cherry keycap mount.
Thank you for this. Got the keyboard yesterday, and I love it. Everything works, it just needs relatively light amount of cleaning.
The switches are amazing. I hate to use the term "endgame" since I'll always keep around other keyboards with other switches to use for various purposes, but this is Goldilocks for me as far as weighting (light enough to not be fatiguing but still good tactility), feel, and sound. Keyboard is in good enough condition (even though not NOS) for a ~30 year old keyboard that I may just clean or replace the caps - MX keycaps! - but the body is just okay in terms of construction: it's a little creaky or flimsy if I flex or press on it, but in normal typing it's fine.

Polecat

18 May 2019, 03:22

cli wrote:

Nice 1'st gen ALPS White switches and double shot keycaps. Work with most cheapass PS/2 USB adapters, build qualtity not as good as a Omnikey, but better then later Monterey or Dell AT101 keyboard.
Thank you, I couldn't resist. That's my favorite layout, and I want to compare it to my blue Alps version.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 May 2019, 08:53

Cid Fabel wrote:
17 May 2019, 23:15
https://www.ebay.de/itm/REUTERS-DK-3000 ... 0010.m2109

One of these Reuters Boards. If I could get it working and shipping to Germany wasn't twice what the board costs.. :D
Obviously not "one of these" Reuter boards if you expect Cherry MX switches and Cherry keycaps.
The legends on the keys differ considerably from the font used by Cherry
and the LED windows of the windowed caps would by no means fit Cherry MX switches.

cli

18 May 2019, 09:24

CountNoctua wrote:
17 May 2019, 23:44
cli wrote:
09 May 2019, 12:26
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Vtech- ... 3752719421
Laser III Keyboard
Not new, but also a SMK 2nd generation, but this one with Cherry keycap mount.
Thank you for this. Got the keyboard yesterday, and I love it. Everything works, it just needs relatively light amount of cleaning.
The switches are amazing. I hate to use the term "endgame" since I'll always keep around other keyboards with other switches to use for various purposes, but this is Goldilocks for me as far as weighting (light enough to not be fatiguing but still good tactility), feel, and sound. Keyboard is in good enough condition (even though not NOS) for a ~30 year old keyboard that I may just clean or replace the caps - MX keycaps! - but the body is just okay in terms of construction: it's a little creaky or flimsy if I flex or press on it, but in normal typing it's fine.
Glad to hear you got a good copy. I like these switches a lot, they are smooth and have a very nice pleasant click.

swampangel

18 May 2019, 16:02

xicanoink wrote:
17 May 2019, 16:45
Will say the case is very plasticky and creaky. A lot of flex. Not a very solid base for such cool switches.

Still, glad I now own it!
I wonder if the flex is a blessing in disguise. I did a 60% handwire with some MX-mount SMKs from taobao and bottoming out on the steel plate was pretty rough until I added some rubber washers for cushioning.

samuelcable

18 May 2019, 16:28

I've had my smk clickies mx mount layinh around unused .been wanting to sell them but didn't know anyone was interested in them

cli

19 May 2019, 11:48

Polecat wrote:
18 May 2019, 03:22
cli wrote:

Thank you, I couldn't resist. That's my favorite layout, and I want to compare it to my blue Alps version.

Yes, I also like the Monterey layout. I assign the blank key to the Windows key with the WIndows app SharpKeys.
You can lube the sliders with PTFE dry lube, just for curiosity I did it with few switches. There was a slight improvement, little bit smoother.

Alps Blue switches are different story, I lubed one slider but it made the switch worse. It didn't feel as smooth as switches with original lubing. Now ordering some PTFE powder to see if it's any better.

Polecat

20 May 2019, 05:14

cli wrote:

Yes, I also like the Monterey layout. I assign the blank key to the Windows key with the WIndows app SharpKeys.
You can lube the sliders with PTFE dry lube, just for curiosity I did it with few switches. There was a slight improvement, little bit smoother.

Alps Blue switches are different story, I lubed one slider but it made the switch worse. It didn't feel as smooth as switches with original lubing. Now ordering some PTFE powder to see if it's any better.
Good info, thanks. I've been playing with Alps keyboards for almost thirty years, but I've been lucky enough to have found pristine ones (I had my pick of literally thousands), so I've never tried lubing them. We'll see how this Laser turns out soon enough!

digital_matthew

20 May 2019, 22:15

With a name like Robot Research, it has to be awesome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Robot- ... SwAHtc2w1U

Also there appears to be a site-wide 10% off sale.

latemodel24

21 May 2019, 00:48

Where is the site wide sale, I don't see it?

digital_matthew

21 May 2019, 03:47

latemodel24 wrote:
21 May 2019, 00:48
Where is the site wide sale, I don't see it?
It should pop up automatically when you get on to eBay. It may be USA only.

Elrick

21 May 2019, 05:19

cli wrote:
Did you know if the Blue Alps switches already have their original lube applied that the new application of this lubricant today may effect both of them?

There are some lubricant's that conflict with one another at my workshop and they MUST never be mixed together. If they do the operation of equipment and/or device becomes volatile and unreliable.

Almost like both lubricant's start attacking one another, each one stripping back the slickness of the other. Hence why we get booklet's denoting clear violation of their usage policy if both lubricant's are used TOGETHER.

It's one or the other but never both. You would need to permanently strip away the original lube from all your switches and sliders before applying any new product today.

Not easy when that old lube penetrates everywhere, inside your keyboard. Like trying to remove KY from an orifice after it's been inserted, too late ;) .

cli

21 May 2019, 05:52

Elrick wrote:
21 May 2019, 05:19
cli wrote:
Did you know if the Blue Alps switches already have their original lube applied that the new application of this lubricant today may effect both of them?

There are some lubricant's that conflict with one another at my workshop and they MUST never be mixed together. If they do the operation of equipment and/or device becomes volatile and unreliable.

Almost like both lubricant's start attacking one another, each one stripping back the slickness of the other. Hence why we get booklet's denoting clear violation of their usage policy if both lubricant's are used TOGETHER.

It's one or the other but never both. You would need to permanently strip away the original lube from all your switches and sliders before applying any new product today.

Not easy when that old lube penetrates everywhere, inside your keyboard. Like trying to remove KY from an orifice after it's been inserted, too late ;) .

Yes, I know this. It was mentioned on several guides.
I cleaned the slider first with alcohol before applying a thin layer of dry PTFE lube. Then let it dry for two days.

ZedTheMan

21 May 2019, 07:33

A Black Chassis and awesome color of caps Alps board?

Sign me up!
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3818861451

cli

21 May 2019, 14:55

ZedTheMan wrote:
21 May 2019, 07:33
A Black Chassis and awesome color of caps Alps board?

Sign me up!
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3818861451
Nice find, in new condition, 1'st gen Pine White Alps..

JP!

21 May 2019, 15:39

cli

22 May 2019, 18:26

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312611016949?ul_noapp=true
Apple Extended Keyboard II for $10 (1,5 hour left)

Return to “Other external”