[IC] Pulse GMK - Leave your feedback inside!

MiTo

25 Apr 2019, 10:29

Hello DT community, it's been a while since our last chat! I'd like to discuss the possibility of adding extra designs to the upcoming Pulse GMK keycap set group buy.

What's your opinion on these designs? Let me know what you think about the kits!

I am currently working on the other child kits as you can see on my webpage for Pulse GMK right here.

If you have any feedback, please go ahead and let me know your thoughts!

Godspeed,

M
Last edited by MiTo on 17 Oct 2019, 17:09, edited 2 times in total.

depletedvespene

25 Apr 2019, 15:41

Ok, let me address the elephant in the room first: why "Saudi" specifically instead of "Arabic"?

If going with "generic" Arabic, then why not add a symbol key for the R4 1U keys that are usually the Win/Gui/Super replacements? The Rub el Hizb symbol (see Unicode code point U+06DE) would be neat... or, better yet, the Tartessian Star.

That said, if going with Arabic letters, then the absence of Arabic numbers (both on the main alpha block and in the numpad) strikes me as incredibly odd. See this auction of an old IBM Model M for a good example of an Arabic keyboard.

And, of course, where is ISO support? IBM did it, after all...

(must... not... shill... my... own... national... keyboard... layout... here...)

DJSwayde

25 Apr 2019, 17:12

I am also wondering about why the Arabic kit is called "Saudi." Also, the Arabic sublegends will be doubleshot? Does GMK have the tooling for this? AFAIK, Cherry never did a doubleshot Arabic set.

Also, is the black base going to be the CR color code?

MiTo

25 Apr 2019, 18:49

depletedvespene wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 15:41
Ok, let me address the elephant in the room first: why "Saudi" specifically instead of "Arabic"?

If going with "generic" Arabic, then why not add a symbol key for the R4 1U keys that are usually the Win/Gui/Super replacements? The Rub el Hizb symbol (see Unicode code point U+06DE) would be neat... or, better yet, the Tartessian Star.

That said, if going with Arabic letters, then the absence of Arabic numbers (both on the main alpha block and in the numpad) strikes me as incredibly odd. See this auction of an old IBM Model M for a good example of an Arabic keyboard.

And, of course, where is ISO support? IBM did it, after all...

(must... not... shill... my... own... national... keyboard... layout... here...)
Thank you so much for the sound input, I really appreciate it! So, my stupid mistake was trying to create a fluffy name instead of going straight to the point, and with that I could rub many nations the wrong way. I simply thought that the word "Saudi" had a better pronunciation an sound as "Arabic" but I rapidly got reminded by all fronts that this would be a bad idea. We have many nations that speak Arab and of course not all of them identify with the "Saudi" name let alone "Dubai" or something. I will just stick with Arabic because it is the logical name.

As for the suggestion you have made, that is absolutely brilliant! But I must ask you a question, do you believe that could be remotely offensive to somebody given that not everyone will be okay associating with a symbol from a religion different than theirs? From what I understood the star is a Islamic symbol, correct? I think this could perhaps result in some arguments, much like if I offered the "Allah" glyph as a keycap. Let me know your thoughts on that.

Do you also think the lack of the tertiary legends on the number row would consist in a deal breaker? I think those numbers on that row would look magnificent! As for ISO support, don't worry, the Euro kit is a work in progress and it will be available for sure!

MiTo

25 Apr 2019, 18:51

DJSwayde wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 17:12
I am also wondering about why the Arabic kit is called "Saudi." Also, the Arabic sublegends will be doubleshot? Does GMK have the tooling for this? AFAIK, Cherry never did a doubleshot Arabic set.

Also, is the black base going to be the CR color code?
I covered the "Saudi" thing in the reply above, basically it was me trying to offer a fluffy name instead of sticking with the logical choice - overall just a lame idea. As for your other questions:

1) Yes, these will be double shot! I developed the Japanese molds and sub legends version as well, will do the same with Arabic!
2) No, the color won't be CR, all of the colors will be 100% identical to Pulse SA because when I went to GMK headquarters we color matched together and approved the samples. Colors will be just like the SA version!

depletedvespene

25 Apr 2019, 19:13

MiTo wrote:
Thank you so much for the sound input, I really appreciate it! So, my stupid mistake was trying to create a fluffy name instead of going straight to the point, and with that I could rub many nations the wrong way. I simply thought that the word "Saudi" had a better pronunciation an sound as "Arabic" but I rapidly got reminded by all fronts that this would be a bad idea. We have many nations that speak Arab and of course not all of them identify with the "Saudi" name let alone "Dubai" or something. I will just stick with Arabic because it is the logical name.
Excellent.

MiTo wrote:
As for the suggestion you have made, that is absolutely brilliant! But I must ask you a question, do you believe that could be remotely offensive to somebody given that not everyone will be okay associating with a symbol from a religion different than theirs? From what I understood the star is a Islamic symbol, correct? I think this could perhaps result in some arguments, much like if I offered the "Allah" glyph as a keycap. Let me know your thoughts on that.
As things go, and now that I think of it a bit more deeply, this is a potentially complicated issue. The Rub el Hizb symbol does have a strong religious connotation, and that might pose a problem, while the Tartessian Star doesn't actually have such a connotation... but might be be confused with the former, since both are quite similar. A Crescent and Star, or for that matter, an Orthodox Cross, should not even be considered (as much as I'd like to have the latter available!), because those two are religious symbols in and of themselves.

Damn, EVERY symbol I can think of to represent "Arabic" might be offensive to someone (mostly for the religious connotations). That said, I still think the best option is the Tartessian Star. And it does have the added bonus of having a longer history than Islam itself and representing a certain old kingdom from a certain peninsula in the west as well. YMMV. TWAGOS.

MiTo wrote:
Do you also think the lack of the tertiary legends on the number row would consist in a deal breaker? I think those numbers on that row would look magnificent!
I am not sure about the number row in the main alpha block, but I think omitting the Arabic numbers on the numpad would be unforgivable. YMMV. To add to that, if it were for me, I'd omit the nav legends on the numpad and keep only both styles of numbers.

MiTo wrote:
As for ISO support, don't worry, the Euro kit is a work in progress and it will be available for sure!
Good.

And show some love for the numpad comma on that kit. :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

25 Apr 2019, 19:45

One more thing: DO GREEK. :-)

Findecanor

25 Apr 2019, 20:12

MiTo wrote:
We have many nations that speak Arab[ic] and of course not all of them identify with the "Saudi" name [...]
That's putting it mildly ...
Spoiler:
The language, with its writing system is called "Arabic", and has far reach.
"Saudi" is not the name of a region or ethnic group but refers to the royal house of Saud: which rules the nation Saudi Arabia. It is an oppressive regime, which oppresses all opposition, the Shia-muslim minority and treats women as second-class citizens. Not long ago they did not shy away from murdering a refugee at its embassy in Turkey: This was all over the news, and should be easy to find.
The West (with US in the forefront) and other Arab countries let Saudi Arabia get away with too much because 1) they have most oil, 2) they have the most important religious sites in Islam.

Edit: I read in the paper this morning that Saudi Arabia have executed 14 protesters through decapitation this Tuesday. I repeat: they had only been protesting. The youngest had been teenagers when apprehended and then tortured in prison for several years.
Last edited by Findecanor on 26 Apr 2019, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

Myoth

25 Apr 2019, 20:14

MiTo wrote:
I think the Won on the pipe key is available, so why not use it :)

Cid Fabel

13 May 2019, 00:07

Myoth wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 20:14
MiTo wrote:
I think the Won on the pipe key is available, so why not use it :)
If only this Hangul-set was available in a German QUERTZ layout.. :D

AdrianMan

13 May 2019, 15:50

Please add 6u spacebar to base kit

MiTo

19 May 2019, 02:03

AdrianMan wrote:
You mean the center stem or off center stem one?

AdrianMan

19 May 2019, 09:46

MiTo wrote:
19 May 2019, 02:03
AdrianMan wrote:
You mean the center stem or off center stem one?
I would prefer the centered stem one, but any will do as I've modded all the 6u's that were off stem successfully :)

Return to “Group buys”