Focus 5001 USB

lhutton

08 May 2019, 04:00

I recently picked up a Focus 5001 with white Alps. Even the calculator works! Looks like they may even been older complicated Alps with the slits and mould numbering too. I'll have to get some macro shots for the Alps experts here to let me know what I have but for now I've got a simpler question: what sort of USB adapter do I need for this thing?

I tried my usual 5-pin AT to active PS/2 to USB adapter chain that I know works with my other AT keyboards (Model F, Focus 2001 and a few others) and this thing just doesn't work. I plugged it into an old Dell Optiplex with a real-deal PS/2 keyboard port on it with just the AT to PS/2 adapter and it looks to work fine. Didn't test it outside of the BIOS as that machine doesn't have an OS on it currently. Just doesn't seem to like the active PS/2->USB adapter. My next step would be a Soarer's converter, unfortunately all of the Soarer's compatible hardware I have around at the moment is for the 240° DIN or RJ-45 terminal keyboards. Anyone else have a 5001 and are using it with USB?

Edit: here's the photo of the switches, looks like what the wiki calls Pine Alps? Really more familiar with IBM equipment myself.
Focus_5001_Alps.jpg
Focus_5001_Alps.jpg (101.58 KiB) Viewed 2820 times

Chyros

08 May 2019, 07:05

Yup, pine white Alps, nice! Looks very clean, too!

I used my 5001s over USB just via a Soarer's, as I recall.

lhutton

09 May 2019, 04:54

Chyros wrote:

OK, I'll have to setup a Soarer's converter for the 180° 5-pin DIN connector then. I took it to the office today where my desktop has a PS/2 keyboard port and the board works great. I really enjoy the old boards with the lock lights in the keys instead of in a bank. Do you know of anyone who has a scan of or the dimensions for the placard that goes in the top? I'm guessing it was for listing assigned fucntions to the F-keys.

Chyros

09 May 2019, 07:56

lhutton wrote:
09 May 2019, 04:54
Chyros wrote:

OK, I'll have to setup a Soarer's converter for the 180° 5-pin DIN connector then. I took it to the office today where my desktop has a PS/2 keyboard port and the board works great. I really enjoy the old boards with the lock lights in the keys instead of in a bank. Do you know of anyone who has a scan of or the dimensions for the placard that goes in the top? I'm guessing it was for listing assigned fucntions to the F-keys.
You mean the cards themselves or the card holder?

lhutton

09 May 2019, 14:33

Yeah, the actual paper card ... is there a printable template floating around out there for it? I searched and didn't find anything ...

Chyros

09 May 2019, 16:20

I scanned them a long time ago. When I get home I'll upload them.

lhutton

12 May 2019, 05:06

Well, partial success on the Soarer's Converter. The 5001 seems to like it OK but I have a 2001 in the same boat (doesn't work with active USB, but works with real PS/2 port) and it just freaks out the Soarer's. Random key presses, repeating keys, etc. There a special configuration for these? Tested it again with the 5-pin DIN to PS/2 adapter on the old Dell and it works fine. I've got a couple of 2001 boards, the newer one (Windows key, Alps clone) works fine on the Soarer's, active USB and the 5-pin to PS/2. The other 2001 is a much older version, no Windows keys multicolor key legends, etc.

Puree

25 May 2019, 00:05

lhutton wrote:
Yeah, the actual paper card ... is there a printable template floating around out there for it? I searched and didn't find anything ...
Hey

Just in case for people who are interested in the paper card too (from my focus 5001 ISO BE ;) ):

lhutton

26 May 2019, 05:32

Puree wrote:
25 May 2019, 00:05
lhutton wrote:
Hey

Just in case for people who are interested in the paper card too (from my focus 5001 ISO BE ;) ):

Thanks! I've been working on making my own with some various bash, vim, tmux, etc shortcuts just to have something useful there.

Return to “Keyboards”