Blue Alps

SneakyRobb
THINK

25 May 2019, 01:35

Hi,

I have just received after almost 6 years of trying and searching, my first SKCM blue alps keyboard.

I actually cannot express my exuberant pleasure at just the fact that I now have an SCKM blue alps keyboard. The typing experience? Ugh...

I have multiple multiple ibm capacitive and some beamspring boards. I spent a massive amount of effort and dollars acquiring them. I literally live 3km away from Don Mills Ontario where a large number of Beamsprings keyboards were made by IBM.

I have built, designed, and researched multiple IBM keyboard designs of model f and model b origin. I have been experimenting with making new beamsprings and the creation of various ibm components. and I honestly think that Model F is the best switch ever. It is literally better than the alps design. It is also literally better than the beamspring. it is the best switch. but.

But I just got my first SKCM blue... Blue alps are so open to humidity, so open to dust, etc. Such a fleeting glimpse. yet. I cannot express why, but it is my favourite switch. It is just the best.

I really have no other point than this. SKCM blue is excellent.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

25 May 2019, 02:21

Nice man! Congrats! What board did you get?

clickityClackity

25 May 2019, 04:12

Congrats!! Love me some Blue Alps.

ZedTheMan

25 May 2019, 04:15

Congratulations!

Blue alps are an excellent switch when in good shape.

Chyros

25 May 2019, 11:26

That is a very nice description xD .

I agree completely! Even compared to switches that are as close as possible to objectively better, SKCM blue just have an indescribable spark of magic that nothing else has :D .

Menuhin

25 May 2019, 12:06

Searching for 6 years? You have the patience of a hunter, and deserve a rare blue Alps board.

Seeing all the the manufacturers discontinuing their best switches or themselves closing down,
Please at least a joint-effort project possible has to be possible to revive these particularly delicious clicking-tactile mechanism whether in an the identical copycat form or with some twists (e.g. mx keycap compatible).

I know, it's all about money and time, and passion, and someone with enough motivation to take the lead.

(Disclaimer: I'm a straight linear guy, typing now on Topre rubber-dome)

ppCircle

25 May 2019, 13:11

Oh gosh, 6 years of waiting to try the most balanced/(best) switch.

Finding first blues took me ~6 months.

What board is that?

Dingster

25 May 2019, 13:48

Your post gives me the will to carry on :lol:
5 years and waiting :)

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 May 2019, 14:52

It took me 2 years, and that was 6-7 years ago. About 3 years ago it seemed that they got somewhat more available for a while.

PlacaFromHell

25 May 2019, 23:14

It took me more than a beamspring. I don't even know if the keyboard I will get the next week is blue Alps or very early white Alps. Let's hope the best.

SneakyRobb
THINK

26 May 2019, 00:24

//gainsborough wrote:
25 May 2019, 02:21
Nice man! Congrats! What board did you get?
Hi,

Thanks,

I got a very light use leading edge DC-2014 board. it feels very much like home, as the first mechanical keyboard I got was a capacitive Fxt.

Early on, I kept putting off a further exploration of alps. I knew I liked them, but I knew I must complete my IBM exploration. I could see that when I was buying $400 beamsprings in 2014/2015 that the price would increase, yet I just.. didn't get those blue alps then. That was a mistake. It is what it is.

Blue alps occupy this sort of underdog position. The model F in my opinion is king. A switch versus beamspring that is shorter, arguably just as clicky or 90-95% as much, more durable, more reliable, doesn't care about dust and less expensive. What is not to like?

Versus blue alps, the same conclusion must be drawn. but yet, I like that tenacity. There is some magic in them.

SneakyRobb
THINK

26 May 2019, 00:30

Chyros wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:26
That is a very nice description xD .

I agree completely! Even compared to switches that are as close as possible to objectively better, SKCM blue just have an indescribable spark of magic that nothing else has :D .
Hi, thanks. It is true though. The SKCM blue just somehow demands your affection. I have noticed when eating figs that they get their tastiest just before the they go bad. I would them compare SKCM blue to the tastiest of fruit. They may trail F and Beam some of the time, but the moments when they are ahead? They are magic.

keyboard Kultist

26 May 2019, 02:23

I'm up to four blue alps boards, luckily all in very good condition. It's like a disease, I want more :-)

Two gold badge Omni keys, a Computerland branded board, and an Acer KB 101A. I still love buckling springs, but.....YUM!

Primuds

05 Jun 2019, 10:40

Sidney955 wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 08:06
Seeing all the the manufacturers discontinuing their best switches or themselves closing down, <url> Please at least a joint-effort project possible has to be possible to revive these particularly delicious clicking-tactile mechanism whether in an the identical copycat form or with some twists (e.g. mx keycap compatible).
kiss anime wut?

Wazrach

05 Jun 2019, 10:41

Primuds wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 10:40
Sidney955 wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 08:06
Seeing all the the manufacturers discontinuing their best switches or themselves closing down<url> Please at least a joint-effort project possible has to be possible to revive these particularly delicious clicking-tactile mechanism whether in an the identical copycat form or with some twists (e.g. mx keycap compatible).
kiss anime wut?
Look at when Sidney955's account was made.

Primuds

05 Jun 2019, 10:56

Ah, a bot?

Return to “Keyboards”