Alps Appreciation

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

24 May 2019, 19:55

Mattelec wrote:
24 May 2019, 18:37
What could be a Pine top housing donor? Want to repair some damaged blue alps with strange marks
Salmon alps or pine white alps would be my go-to pine donors.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

24 May 2019, 19:57

xicanoink wrote:
22 May 2019, 21:15
Ebay gods were smiling down upon me.

This arrived today.

The F9 key is missing and the switch is broken, missing the slider. Thinking I'll just buy a replacement switch and replace the guts. See if that works.

My first blue alps board and it feels amazing.

Using Soarer's USB converter. Had to move the AT-XT switch to get it working.

Now it just needs to get cleaned up!
deltagold.jpeg

Congrats, dude! That is one hell of a first blue alps board!

xicanoink

27 May 2019, 18:50

//gainsborough wrote:
24 May 2019, 19:57
xicanoink wrote:

This arrived today.

The F9 key is missing and the switch is broken, missing the slider. Thinking I'll just buy a replacement switch and replace the guts. See if that works.

deltagold.jpeg

Congrats, dude! That is one hell of a first blue alps board!
Thanks! I'm still super jazzed about it. Taking my time cleaning it up.

keyboard Kultist

27 May 2019, 21:27

xicanoink wrote:

This arrived today.

deltagold.jpeg

Very nice! Have fun :-)

ppCircle

28 May 2019, 19:28

First documented Focus Fk-2002 HighScreen with Alps Blue

Type sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD-gJeahpsE

Last edited by ppCircle on 29 May 2019, 14:25, edited 3 times in total.

JP!

28 May 2019, 19:30

I've never even seen one documented with the HighScreen name. Nice find.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

28 May 2019, 21:05

ppCircle wrote:

Nice, man!! Do you have any pics of the backside of the board?

ppCircle

28 May 2019, 21:35

//gainsborough wrote:
28 May 2019, 21:05
ppCircle wrote:

Nice, man!! Do you have any pics of the backside of the board?
Yes, i just edited my post. This is just my theory but i think focuses 2002 with blue sticker on backside have blues. Im based on my observation. :ugeek:

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

28 May 2019, 21:41

ppCircle wrote:
Yes, i just edited my post. This is just my theory but i think focuses 2002 with blue sticker on backside have blues. Im based on my observation. :ugeek:
That's consistent with my fk-2001 as well. I think the more telling sign is the placement of the "inverse" switch on the back. I forget which side it's on, but it looks like on your pic it's on the right when the board is upside down.

ppCircle

28 May 2019, 21:44

//gainsborough wrote:
28 May 2019, 21:41
ppCircle wrote:
That's consistent with my fk-2001 as well. I think the more telling sign is the placement of the "inverse" switch on the back. I forget which side it's on, but it looks like on your pic it's on the right when the board is upside down.

Yeah, you're right, it is on right side.

Chyros

28 May 2019, 21:53

Some early white models had the inverse switch too. Still, only the earliest 2001 models had that switch, so at least you're getting something early.

Polecat

29 May 2019, 03:54

ppCircle wrote:
Nice find, thanks for sharing! But not the first. Three others on my list, all posted on Deskthority. Interestingly all three are rebranded. One each, Multitronic, Magitronic, High Screen, and Vanilla.

One thing many folks don't understand is that back in 1989 the keyboard manufacturers did not differentiate between white and blue SKCM switches. There wasn't a person on the assembly line saying, "Wait, this one has a blue sticker, it has to have blue switches!" The distinction between the two slider colors did not come until much later, and trying to project it backwards usually results in bad assumptions. We know on the Northgate keyboards, for example, that the changeover from blue to white did not occur at a specific serial number, inspection number (like the 80756903 on this one), or label date. The assembly people almost certainly used whichever switches were on hand, and who knows how careful Focus was about "first in, first out", or if they had multiple factories or sources for the switches? There was certainly no slider color specified when the keyboards were originally sold, which we now consider important enough to justify a three- or fourfold difference in price, even if we can't hear or feel the difference between blues and early whites. White Alps changed a lot over time, while blues are a "sure thing" (depending on condition, of course), so the seemingly-irrational desire for blue Alps switches over whites is only partially about the color of the sliders, and is a relatively recent thing.

ppCircle

29 May 2019, 10:36

Polecat wrote:
ppCircle wrote:
Nice find, thanks for sharing! But not the first. Three others on my list, all posted on Deskthority. Interestingly all three are rebranded. One each, Multitronic, Magitronic, High Screen, and Vanilla.
I mean first documented HighScreen version with blues. I searched everywhere and do not find any information (on deskthority wiki is just information that highscreen is just german layout 2002 version. Who know if they didn't producing it with only whites switches), photos of this version with blue alps. So yeah, this is first documented fk-2002 highscreen with blues.
Last edited by ppCircle on 29 May 2019, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

Chyros

29 May 2019, 11:24

Polecat wrote:
ppCircle wrote:

One thing many folks don't understand is that back in 1989 the keyboard manufacturers did not differentiate between white and blue SKCM switches. There wasn't a person on the assembly line saying, "Wait, this one has a blue sticker, it has to have blue switches!" The distinction between the two slider colors did not come until much later, and trying to project it backwards usually results in bad assumptions. We know on the Northgate keyboards, for example, that the changeover from blue to white did not occur at a specific serial number, inspection number (like the 80756903 on this one), or label date. The assembly people almost certainly used whichever switches were on hand, and who knows how careful Focus was about "first in, first out", or if they had multiple factories or sources for the switches? There was certainly no slider color specified when the keyboards were originally sold, which we now consider important enough to justify a three- or fourfold difference in price, even if we can't hear or feel the difference between blues and early whites. White Alps changed a lot over time, while blues are a "sure thing" (depending on condition, of course), so the seemingly-irrational desire for blue Alps switches over whites is only partially about the color of the sliders, and is a relatively recent thing.
I used to own a FK-9000 with both genuine and clone Alps switches randomly mixed throughout the board. Pretty sure they just added whatever they got in new into the hopper (Alps also made assembly machines).

Lbibass

29 May 2019, 15:17

Polecat wrote:
ppCircle wrote:

Fun fact, there are actually about 3 different kinds of blue alps switches, with different thicknesses of leaves, different tops, and other differences that can affect the feel. I know that Ai03 (not sure if they're on deskthority) have assembled a board out of a combo of the different parts, and it was so loud that their roommate forbade them from using it. They would rather have Ai03 use a model F or a model M over that blue alps combo switch.

Guchay

29 May 2019, 16:39

spherical.
Attachments
citoh1.jpg
citoh1.jpg (127.13 KiB) Viewed 11620 times
citoh2.jpg
citoh2.jpg (118.41 KiB) Viewed 11620 times
Last edited by Guchay on 08 Jul 2023, 12:08, edited 2 times in total.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

29 May 2019, 16:43

Yooo! That’s quite the flex for being new! Very nice board! If you want to sell those caps hit me up =P

Guchay

29 May 2019, 18:10

//gainsborough wrote:
29 May 2019, 16:43
Yooo! That’s quite the flex for being new! Very nice board! If you want to sell those caps hit me up =P
I mean, anything is for sale for the right price! Just know by the time you get these keycaps, I will have enough gold from the badges of your keyboards, to start the next Gold Rush of 1849.

E3E

29 May 2019, 18:18

Guchay wrote:
29 May 2019, 16:39
I'm new here so go easy on me, please. C.itoh JP with hi pro alps mount, spherical, deep scoop f+j, with Japanese sublegends featuring skcl yellow, cream, and compact.
citoh2.jpg
citoh1.jpg
Oh, hello brother.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

29 May 2019, 18:58

Guchay wrote:
29 May 2019, 18:10
I mean, anything is for sale for the right price! Just know by the time you get these keycaps, I will have enough gold from the badges of your keyboards, to start the next Gold Rush of 1849.
Well played.

Polecat

30 May 2019, 03:44

ppCircle wrote:
29 May 2019, 10:36

I mean first documented HighScreen version with blues. I searched everywhere and do not find any information (on deskthority wiki is just information that highscreen is just german layout 2002 version. Who know if they didn't producing it with only whites switches), photos of this version with blue alps. So yeah, this is first documented fk-2002 highscreen with blues.
Got it, thanks, I really enjoy seeing the early Focus stuff. This one was posted here, but not really documented:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyboard-Focus ... _cvip=true

Polecat

30 May 2019, 04:18

Lbibass wrote:

Fun fact, there are actually about 3 different kinds of blue alps switches, with different thicknesses of leaves, different tops, and other differences that can affect the feel. I know that Ai03 (not sure if they're on deskthority) have assembled a board out of a combo of the different parts, and it was so loud that their roommate forbade them from using it. They would rather have Ai03 use a model F or a model M over that blue alps combo switch.
Absolutely, and thanks for making that point! I wasn't here when the original research was being done on all the different versions, but I've been playing with Alps keyboards for almost thirty years now. My point was that it's presumptuous to think that all white Alps switches are the same, and it's just slightly less presumptuous to think that all *Pine* white Alps are the same. Early whites are a lot closer to (late?) blues than they are to later whites, even if the later whites are still "Pine".

I think it's likely that the different versions of blues are a lot more alike than the different versions of whites, but it's still wrong to lump all whites (or all blues...) together as being the same. And it's absurd that of the two pristine gold label Northgate keyboards I have, built just a few weeks apart, the one with blue sliders would be worth two to four times what the one with white sliders is worth. I would challenge anyone to tell which is which without popping off a keycap! I have a lot more reading and catching up to do on the internal differences, starting with the earlier posts here and especially the sites so lovingly put together by the Asian collectors. But I hope to further document my own examples along the way and perhaps even add something to the knowledge base.

Lbibass

30 May 2019, 14:35

Polecat wrote:
30 May 2019, 04:18
Lbibass wrote:

Absolutely, and thanks for making that point! I wasn't here when the original research was being done on all the different versions, but I've been playing with Alps keyboards for almost thirty years now. My point was that it's presumptuous to think that all white Alps switches are the same, and it's just slightly less presumptuous to think that all *Pine* white Alps are the same. Early whites are a lot closer to (late?) blues than they are to later whites, even if the later whites are still "Pine".

I think it's likely that the different versions of blues are a lot more alike than the different versions of whites, but it's still wrong to lump all whites (or all blues...) together as being the same. And it's absurd that of the two pristine gold label Northgate keyboards I have, built just a few weeks apart, the one with blue sliders would be worth two to four times what the one with white sliders is worth. I would challenge anyone to tell which is which without popping off a keycap! I have a lot more reading and catching up to do on the internal differences, starting with the earlier posts here and especially the sites so lovingly put together by the Asian collectors. But I hope to further document my own examples along the way and perhaps even add something to the knowledge base.
Absolutely. There's a lot of placebo and hype in this community. I had always heard that the Wang 724 was an amazing Alps chassis, but now that I have one in my possession, the AT101 seems to be significantly better for enhancing the sound of Alps switches. And the white Alps that I own sound deeper than blue alps, even when in the same AT101 chassis.

The hype of blue Alps over white Alps is completely stupid. But then again, I own 180 blues, so who am I to talk. :lol:

xicanoink

30 May 2019, 21:44

So I lost the bid war at first and was sad due to missing out on this handsome fellow.

But later that night got a second chance offer! The bid winner must've flaked.

Thank the stars he did!

Mint condition black case KB-6251EA, metal backplate, pine white Alps so fresh and brand new that the click sounds deep and satisfying and a close challenger to a blue Alps board I'm currently cleaning. Right now it's hard to choose which one I like better.

Good problem to have right?
pockeeb.jpeg
pockeeb.jpeg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 11322 times
I know I drooled over the black FK-2001 so I'm stoked to have my own black white Alps board.

Are there any other known boards with unique case coloring that also have Alps switches?

Wazrach

30 May 2019, 22:53

xicanoink wrote:
30 May 2019, 21:44
So I lost the bid war at first and was sad due to missing out on this handsome fellow.

But later that night got a second chance offer! The bid winner must've flaked.

Thank the stars he did!

Mint condition black case KB-6251EA, metal backplate, pine white Alps so fresh and brand new that the click sounds deep and satisfying and a close challenger to a blue Alps board I'm currently cleaning. Right now it's hard to choose which one I like better.

Good problem to have right?
pockeeb.jpeg

I know I drooled over the black FK-2001 so I'm stoked to have my own black white Alps board.

Are there any other known boards with unique case coloring that also have Alps switches?
WTH? Where do you people find these boards? That looks fantastic!

ZedTheMan

30 May 2019, 22:54

I saw it listed on eBay and shared it here. I shouldn't have, haha, I'm a greedy boy. But, I figured if I shared it here someone would outbid me and help me keep my collection down.

Wazrach

30 May 2019, 22:57

So am I, don't worry. My "collection" isn't too impressive, although I'm always buying keyboards - even if two are already on the way. I keep buying and selling and seem to be as poor as ever.

xicanoink

30 May 2019, 23:05

ZedTheMan wrote:
30 May 2019, 22:54
I saw it listed on eBay and shared it here. I shouldn't have, haha, I'm a greedy boy. But, I figured if I shared it here someone would outbid me and help me keep my collection down.
Thanks for posting it!

I was a bit crushed when I lost the bid war. I figured it was to you or someone else on here, so not too angry as I knew it would go to a good home.

But getting that second offer email from ebay was a surprise. It's the first time of years of ebay that has ever happened.

Dingster

30 May 2019, 23:15

God damn what a looker. Are the caps doubleshots?

CountNoctua

31 May 2019, 00:12

xicanoink wrote:
30 May 2019, 23:05
Thanks for posting it!

I was a bit crushed when I lost the bid war. I figured it was to you or someone else on here, so not too angry as I knew it would go to a good home.

But getting that second offer email from ebay was a surprise. It's the first time of years of ebay that has ever happened.
Congrats! I think I must have been third highest bidder. I'm making some offers/bidding on some other white and green Alps items now, but I do like that one a lot. Beautiful board.

EDIT: Seller accepted my offer on white Alps. Anyone know anything about this Zeos?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeos-Mechanica ... 3795142908

I'm hoping it's close to pristine as far as switches go; body at least looks to be in good condition, but I know that's not necessarily an indicator of switch condition. Would I be correct in assuming that it's genuine Alps, at least? I don't see a ton of info out there after some quick searching.

EDIT 2: Ah, nevermind. Ignore the above. Found the Deskthority wiki page on it. :) "Zeos" branding threw me off, but it's a NTC KB-6251EA (makes sense, found it via ebay recommendation algorithm after viewing the other ended auction).

Return to “Keyboards”