I think the model f 122 may just be my favorite keyboard overall.

nickg

01 Jun 2019, 23:48

Been using one all week, and dude I see why these are generally the most expensive of the more common models. The same awesome model f key feel and sound, a nearly modern layout(i suspect imb's engineers took a que from this when the M was made), and has dedicated nav and num cluster. Not to mention pretty much the same unicomp model m 122 layout my gf uses so im used to it from helping with her pc set ups.

Not my favorite key switch of all time that remains the beamspring but man this is awesome. too bad they never made a 122 beamspring.

Wazrach

02 Jun 2019, 00:15

nickg wrote:
Been using one all week, and dude I see why these are generally the most expensive of the more common models. The same awesome model f key feel and sound, a nearly modern layout(i suspect imb's engineers took a que from this when the M was made), and has dedicated nav and num cluster. Not to mention pretty much the same unicomp model m 122 layout my gf uses so im used to it from helping with her pc set ups.

Not my favorite key switch of all time that remains the beamspring but man this is awesome. too bad they never made a 122 beamspring.
Glad you're enjoying it. I wish I could enjoy mine. I've made three different foam mats for it and failed to get the assembly shut each time. Just a complete nightmare.

depletedvespene

02 Jun 2019, 00:59

nickg wrote:

Fantastic units, indeed. And now you know why the Unsaver is so highly sought after.

nickg

02 Jun 2019, 04:05

well I know better more now why its sought after. I figured it was because a tkl model f, now i know its a awesome nearly modern layout tkl model f

Red_October

02 Jun 2019, 20:56

nickg wrote:

They came close, there's one -search the forums for "Beamship" and you'll see an amazing, beautiful enormous Beamspring keyboard. Of course good f'n luck finding one, but there it is.

I have to agree, though, the F is the best balance between "Amazing keyswitch feel" and "actually usable"; the Beamspring keyboards are enormous and difficult to set up and many may be a bit long in the tooth and few have enough keys to satisfy the modern user, but the key-feel is unsurpassed by anything I've laid hands on, there may be some very obscure switch that's better, but I've yet to meet it. The F122 just ticks all the boxes; it's robust and attractive and can support all keys needed for any application and it has N-key rollover for gaming and of course the easily changed keycaps common to the IBM buckling spring designs mean you can do all kinds of wacky things, especially with re-legendable keycaps and whatnot. And of course there's the delicious sound, the "ka-ting-tung" sound that no other board makes.

Wazrach

02 Jun 2019, 21:21

Red_October wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 20:56
nickg wrote:

They came close, there's one -search the forums for "Beamship" and you'll see an amazing, beautiful enormous Beamspring keyboard. Of course good f'n luck finding one, but there it is.

I have to agree, though, the F is the best balance between "Amazing keyswitch feel" and "actually usable"; the Beamspring keyboards are enormous and difficult to set up and many may be a bit long in the tooth and few have enough keys to satisfy the modern user, but the key-feel is unsurpassed by anything I've laid hands on, there may be some very obscure switch that's better, but I've yet to meet it. The F122 just ticks all the boxes; it's robust and attractive and can support all keys needed for any application and it has N-key rollover for gaming and of course the easily changed keycaps common to the IBM buckling spring designs mean you can do all kinds of wacky things, especially with re-legendable keycaps and whatnot. And of course there's the delicious sound, the "ka-ting-tung" sound that no other board makes.
I find the F122's metallic-sounding spacebar one of the best parts of the sound. It sounds so dense.

Wazrach

02 Jun 2019, 21:26

Finally got mine together earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDt91we ... e=youtu.be

I did Fohat's bolt mod on it, which is kind of necessary after opening the assembly.

It's a shame it's such a bitch to reassemble, especially when trying out foam sheets. I used 1.5mm neoprene (might be 2mm) after the 3mm stuff refused to work. It does sound crisp all over, but I think the 3mm foam would make it sound even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-4O_m4vOkQ

3mm foam was used in that one, and it sounds especially pingy and tight. Really love that sound. Almost like it's ready to burst under all the pressure.

nickg

02 Jun 2019, 22:40

Oh trust me a beamship is my dream board. My white whale beamspring is my second favorite beamspring board (the third being the uhh I forget the model number but it's the one with the qwerty and then the numpad next to it with no space in between) since it's basically a tkl beamspring. Maybe some day but I doubt it. Still haven't seen one beam spring in the kc area besides mine let alone the ship.

Also grats wazrach! Welcome to the club!

Wazrach

03 Jun 2019, 00:08

nickg wrote:
Oh trust me a beamship is my dream board. My white whale beamspring is my second favorite beamspring board (the third being the uhh I forget the model number but it's the one with the qwerty and then the numpad next to it with no space in between) since it's basically a tkl beamspring. Maybe some day but I doubt it. Still haven't seen one beam spring in the kc area besides mine let alone the ship.

Thanks, although it took quite a bit of time and several iterations before I could use it like I am now. I noticed straight away when I got the keyboard that the foam was fucked. I'm guessing you were lucky and didn't have to replace it. :P

Wazrach

03 Jun 2019, 00:09

The keyboard doesn't quite feel optimal yet, not sure if I am happy with it.

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Jun 2019, 00:11

Wazrach wrote:

Almost like it's ready to burst under all the pressure.
I have always maintained that this is the crucial key to the essence of the Model F, what makes it "alive" as several people have described it.

Wazrach

03 Jun 2019, 10:39

fohat wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 00:11
Wazrach wrote:

Almost like it's ready to burst under all the pressure.
I have always maintained that this is the crucial key to the essence of the Model F, what makes it "alive" as several people have described it.
When you did your F107 with thin, soft neoprene, did it feel as good as your F122 with firm art foam?

Fkazim

03 Jun 2019, 12:47

I much prefer the IBM Model F AT as it is much more compact and can easily be modified to a modern layout all that needs to be done is some custom key remapping and new keycaps or some relegendable keycaps. I know some really like the a dedicated nav cluster but for me using the num pad is no issue. Below is my modernised IBM Model F AT I use as my daily driver. The layout I have set gives me F11 F12 and all the media keys the image looks blurry in the attachment but it is actually not just do open the and it is perfectly clear.
Attachments
IMG_20190603_110954.jpg
IMG_20190603_110954.jpg (186.09 KiB) Viewed 6196 times

nickg

03 Jun 2019, 15:35

Wazrach wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 00:08
nickg wrote:

Thanks, although it took quite a bit of time and several iterations before I could use it like I am now. I noticed straight away when I got the keyboard that the foam was fucked. I'm guessing you were lucky and didn't have to replace it. :P
Nope havent had to yet, heck its younger than the at and xt boards i have that have good foam still so thats a good sign. Granted ive tried Fs with pretty bad foam and still enjoyed their feel. havent tried one with completely dead foam though. Honestly when the time comes for that I may just see if I can pay someone to replace it and get it done right. But i expect 10 or so more years before that with how much i switch out boards

nickg

03 Jun 2019, 17:44

Fkazim wrote:
I much prefer the IBM Model F AT as it is much more compact and can easily be modified to a modern layout all that needs to be done is some custom key remapping and new keycaps or some relegendable keycaps. I know some really like the a dedicated nav cluster but for me using the num pad is no issue. Below is my modernised IBM Model F AT I use as my daily driver. The layout I have set gives me F11 F12 and all the media keys the image looks blurry in the attachment but it is actually not just do open the and it is perfectly clear.
yeah the F AT is great ive softmodded mine to be a tkl with 12 f keys

Chyros

03 Jun 2019, 19:32

I prefer my F107, but the Battleship is a nearly unbeatable classic. It's also one of the biggest head turners I know of xD .

Fkazim

03 Jun 2019, 20:37

nickg wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 17:44
Fkazim wrote:
yeah the F AT is great ive softmodded mine to be a tkl with 12 f keys
Your layout sounds very usable have you ANSI modded your AT mind posting a picture of your keyboard either way good to run into another AT user.

nickg

04 Jun 2019, 05:09

If I can figure out how to upload from mobile sure xD otherwise maybe tomorrow after work when I can toss a Pic on imgur

Wazrach

05 Jun 2019, 13:53

I played with the tension of the bolts a bit more. I found that the bolt mod is extremely helpful, but you don't want the bolts too tight. I cranked them down pretty tight after first putting the new foam in, but I loosened them after 48 hours. The sound is attenuated when they're too tight, with a higher-pitched thock. I believe you should use the bolt mod to pull the plates together after a foam replacement, then loosen them to let the plates "breathe" a bit more.

What do you think of the sound? This video also demonstrates the build quality of this beast: https://youtu.be/mFhXr2R3RfI

Chyros

05 Jun 2019, 15:27

Wazrach wrote:
I played with the tension of the bolts a bit more. I found that the bolt mod is extremely helpful, but you don't want the bolts too tight. I cranked them down pretty tight after first putting the new foam in, but I loosened them after 48 hours. The sound is attenuated when they're too tight, with a higher-pitched thock. I believe you should use the bolt mod to pull the plates together after a foam replacement, then loosen them to let the plates "breathe" a bit more.

What do you think of the sound? This video also demonstrates the build quality of this beast: https://youtu.be/mFhXr2R3RfI
Oof, dat badge and dose keycaps doe :D!

depletedvespene

05 Jun 2019, 15:51

Wazrach wrote:

I was already eyeing with envy those keycaps with blue legends (GFL, if I ever should score get a blue Esc!)... but then that badge. Custom made, I presume? Please show it off a bit quite some more!

Wazrach

05 Jun 2019, 16:15

depletedvespene wrote:
Wazrach wrote:

I was already eyeing with envy those keycaps with blue legends (GFL, if I ever should score get a blue Esc!)... but then that badge. Custom made, I presume? Please show it off a bit quite some more!
They're beautiful aren't they? :D I stuck some Wheelwriter keycaps on as well, looks nice and colourful. I do have an F-like M122 with barcode label and two-stage feet on the way from April 1986. It has the blue sublegends on the PF keys, so I can complete my colourful set on the F122!

As for the badge, I had it made for me by a badge-making company in the UK. Pretty pleased with it. £23 shipped for two of the same. The other one is up on Ebay.

I may go to them again and see if they can make industrial-style badges, but with gold lettering on black instead of silver on black.

I'll upload some pictures in a separate post. :D (if it'll let me)

depletedvespene

05 Jun 2019, 17:28

Wazrach wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
Wazrach wrote:

They're beautiful aren't they? :D I stuck some Wheelwriter keycaps on as well, looks nice and colourful. I do have an F-like M122 with barcode label and two-stage feet on the way from April 1986. It has the blue sublegends on the PF keys, so I can complete my colourful set on the F122!
On my M104, I placed the APL keycaps I got last year; I also procured a set of arrow keycaps from a Wheelwriter and will go there as well. Blue keys for the numpad (and the red DT keycap on Esc) would complete the pimping! :D

Wazrach wrote:
As for the badge, I had it made for me by a badge-making company in the UK. Pretty pleased with it. £23 shipped for two of the same. The other one is up on Ebay.

I may go to them again and see if they can make industrial-style badges, but with gold lettering on black instead of silver on black.
Excuse me while I drool (more than usual).

Wazrach

05 Jun 2019, 17:57

depletedvespene wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 17:28
Wazrach wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:

On my M104, I placed the APL keycaps I got last year; I also procured a set of arrow keycaps from a Wheelwriter and will go there as well. Blue keys for the numpad (and the red DT keycap on Esc) would complete the pimping! :D

Wazrach wrote:

Excuse me while I drool (more than usual).
Can I see that please? Your M104? :3 Also, I made the thread!

depletedvespene

05 Jun 2019, 21:19

Wazrach wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 17:57
Can I see that please? Your M104? :3 Also, I made the thread!
It's a common 139401 that was modded into ISO and the numpad made into a 19-key numpad. I've posted it before on DT: viewtopic.php?p=434849#p434849 - blue numpad keys and properly legended keycaps for numpad-{0,+,-,*,/,=} are all that's missing. A blue Esc key, though... would force the red DT keycap elsewhere. :-D

Red_October

05 Jun 2019, 23:07

Fkazim wrote:
I understand about the numpad/nav thing; I've used an F-XT extensively and found little issue here, except a few programs that didn't like the numpad-arrow keys and wanted the real ones instead, good thing I had my 6112884 hooked up at the same time. Usually just keep numlock off and turn it on for entering figures. But that layout you have on the F AT I would not fancy, Num lock is too small for using all the time like that. I do appreciate that you've put escape where it belongs, but that Caps Lock would have to go, it's not useful enough to justify its modern position, in my eyes. On my F-XT I left it alone and on my F122 it's over on top of the numpad. Frankly I didn't change the layout of the F-XT at all, it's usable as-is if you can deal without F11 and F12 and a couple others that are even more infrequently used; System Request, Pause, and a couple duplicate figures on the numpad. But ultimately layout is a matter of preference, I mean, we've got people here using layouts that, to me, are utterly unusable rubbish I'd have to one-finger or I'd just type gobbledygook -orthogonal, the various split-ergo layouts, Dvorak, etc. I tried a very pedestrian split-ergo keyboard, the one with the angular case and clicky white Alps, (I've still got it, PM me if you want to buy it LOL I don't really want it) and could barely use it and frequently mistyped due to the split. I use a mostly-normal typing style but I cross the centerline for a couple characters with my index fingers in some situations so it just fucked me up totally.

nickg

06 Jun 2019, 03:06

nickg wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 05:09
If I can figure out how to upload from mobile sure xD otherwise maybe tomorrow after work when I can toss a Pic on imgur

Return to “Keyboards”