The Deskthority community it so much nicer than reddit

CC1025

29 Apr 2019, 17:35

I think most communities are if the baseline is reddit, LOL :)

derzemel

29 Apr 2019, 22:11

Well, most of us here are older and more mature. Also, we push away "trolls" and "drama queens" if they do not change their ways (I should know as I was in the second category when I joined DT)

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 May 2019, 16:05

About the only time I recall "not nice" behaviour here was in the political threads before and after the 2016 US election.

scottc

26 May 2019, 16:09

jasonsmith wrote:
26 May 2019, 15:53
i think so too. i this its mostly because deskthority is moderated while reddit is not.
Content on DT isn’t moderated. If you’re a dick, people will usually just tell you to fuck off, unlike on eg. MechMarket which is crazy strict (posted 1 day, 23h and 45m after your previous post instead of 2 full days? Some angry teenager on a power trip is going to give you a temporary ban for it). But here moderators won’t intervene unless there’s spam or something.

Compgeke

31 May 2019, 06:40

Can confirm, I'm a lazy bastard and I don't like to moderate much unless something goes off the rails. Usually problems resolve themselves without needing intervention. Just watch for post reports and if it's spam deal with it and if not decide whether it's something serious enough to bother with.

I think I've had to step in once and that was just from insults flying left and right and that's not very welcoming to new users. Pretty sure it was one of the political threads too.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 May 2019, 09:58

Many people expect a stricter moderation, in return you end up with a more "family friendly" environment. I believe we are cutting out a little audience by being more liberal. On the other hand I believe that DT philosophy is a filter per-se, if you can't handle other people's opinion and you are on internet just for the blue pill... well, this is not for you.

Prelim

31 May 2019, 12:08

derzemel wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 22:11
Well, most of us here are older and more mature. Also, we push away "trolls" and "drama queens" if they do not change their ways (I should know as I was in the second category when I joined DT)
I follow this! I always feel that I'm talking to immature kids while on reddit :( Also, I find reddit users to be way noob than our DT community, in respect to their keyboard knowledge (history and overall mech experience).

As for the GH, I just use the forum as a GB catalog lol... Geekhack also have it's down siding when we talk about "mech trendy/fashion", since every time something new arises (switches, caps etc) it's always the best thing ever made (which pisses me off a bit), even though it can be the worst shit.

Shihatsu

03 Jun 2019, 19:22

matt3o wrote:
Many people expect a stricter moderation, in return you end up with a more "family friendly" environment. I believe we are cutting out a little audience by being more liberal. On the other hand I believe that DT philosophy is a filter per-se, if you can't handle other people's opinion and you are on internet just for the blue pill... well, this is not for you.
I may be just a nub and mostly lurker, but this is one of the two core things I love about DT (the other one of course the ridiculous amount of knowledge about keyboards and stuff). Never change it, pls.
But, to be honest, saying "xyz is better than reddit" is not suprising. Everything is better than reddit.

Dingster

03 Jun 2019, 19:40

Shihatsu wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 19:22
matt3o wrote:
I may be just a nub and mostly lurker, but this is one of the two core things I love about DT (the other one of course the ridiculous amount of knowledge about keyboards and stuff). Never change it, pls.
But, to be honest, saying "xyz is better than reddit" is not suprising. Everything is better than reddit.
Very much agree with this. Reddit has gone down the shitter...A LOT

Raumfahrer

12 Jun 2019, 09:15

the sheer amount of knowledge of the community members here is what makes this place special. astounding really.
Plus the focus on the very specific subtopic covered cannot be found anywhere else

CountNoctua

04 Jul 2019, 08:18

I haven't spent enough time in any subreddit or here on DT to get a feel for whether it's nicer here (although limited interactions I did have on reddit were just as helpful as here, actually, and got some good advice), but I do know that every platform and community tends to develop its own culture, often with groupthink that arises out of that particular milieu - for good or for ill. Sometimes seemingly abrasive responses aren't intended to be taken that way, but a result of the norms that have developed over time. Some memes or insider jokes aren't apparent without context, and this can lead to misunderstandings (tip I've picked up: never make assumptions)

It's a systemic problem (but preferable to alternative, in my opinion) with the internet that anonymity (or perceived anonymity), low barrier/cost or friction to posting, and lack of physical and emotional cues leads to more people acting like jerks more often than happens with in-person interactions. Sometimes that behavior is also rewarded by others when it's seen as funny, reinforcing it and leading to others imitating it. You just have to understand where you are, and if you aren't comfortable there, try somewhere else. Applies to real-life as well as the digital world.

All the above ranting aside, it does seem nice here. 8-)

Return to “Off-topic”