Just came to mind now, a question about a converted Beamspring

Red_October

29 May 2019, 23:19

So about a year or so ago I bought an Xwhatsit controller for my Displaywriter Beamspring keyboard. Installing it was piss-easy (the procedure listed in the manual as the contingency procedure, installing the keyboard module upside-down, should really be the primary procedure! As the legendary code comment said, "Damn IBM"!) Anyway, I was having difficulties getting the thing set up as I couldn't seem to get the range dialed in correctly and the software was reporting the controller wrongly, I think it was reporting it as a Model F. The instructions for the converter/software just said to make sure it said the correct type of keyboard in this field, but gave no directions for changing it or what to do if it was listed incorrectly. Anyone have any insight into this?

Lbibass

30 May 2019, 02:14

Sounds like you could have bought the wrong controller.

Red_October

30 May 2019, 02:38

Lbibass wrote:
Shitfire. I bought it from Orihalcon and I hate to trouble him about it at such an advanced date, already once having had to return a Soarer's Converter. I myself sell on eBay from time to time and detest having to accept returns and so deeply loathe to initiate them myself. I will have to investigate further and see what's what. If it's for another beamspring 'board I might just keep it in the eventuality I come into another, as as far as I remember there are three varieties of Xwhatsits, one for the Displaywriter, one for any Beamspring not a Displaywriter, and one for the Model F, which is something I would find a bit extraneous as I have already two Soarer's Converters for my own two Model Fs.

SneakyRobb
THINK

30 May 2019, 15:58

Red_October wrote:
30 May 2019, 02:38
Lbibass wrote:
Shitfire. I bought it from Orihalcon and I hate to trouble him about it at such an advanced date, already once having had to return a Soarer's Converter. I myself sell on eBay from time to time and detest having to accept returns and so deeply loathe to initiate them myself. I will have to investigate further and see what's what. If it's for another beamspring 'board I might just keep it in the eventuality I come into another, as as far as I remember there are three varieties of Xwhatsits, one for the Displaywriter, one for any Beamspring not a Displaywriter, and one for the Model F, which is something I would find a bit extraneous as I have already two Soarer's Converters for my own two Model Fs.
HI,

That is basically correct

There is
beamspring-usb
beamspring-displaywriter-usb
model-f usb

They all say what they are on the front. So if you have a displaywriter, the xwhatsit pcb needs to say displaywriter on it.
Like this.

gameboy3800

06 Jun 2019, 12:44

i'll buy the your old converter off of you if you did buy the wrong one and still have it; i've been waiting for awhile for them to come back in stock but it's been what seems like forever. i contacted orihalcon and he said he'd get some more in in 5 weeks, but this was months ago. i really want to finish my 5251 restoration.

Return to “Keyboards”