[IC] GMK M_ss_ng K_ys

jani80k

11 Jun 2019, 14:12

GMK M_ss_ng K_ys
43fyxwY.png
43fyxwY.png (316.73 KiB) Viewed 7525 times
Goals of this set
  • Convert vintage Cherry ISO sets to ANSI
  • Provide compatibility for smaller form factors (60/65/75)
  • Convert vintage text+icon mod ANSI sets to icon mod ANSI sets
  • Act as a mod kit for obscure layout vintage boards so their alphas can be used in modern layout builds
  • Maintain a reasonable price point

To be figured out in this IC
  • Keys to add
  • Keys to remove
  • General interest

If you're interested in this set, please take a second to fill out this google form and/or leave any feedback as a reply to this thread.

Availability, GB Timeline and Prices

EU Proxy: mykeyboard.eu
NA Proxy: cannonkeys.com
Other regions: If you're a vendor from another region and want to proxy this set, please get in touch with jani80k#5980 on discord.

MOQ: 150
Price: TBA
GB Timeline: TBA

FAQ

What is the target price?
The goal is to keep the set reasonably small and the price as low as possible. Will keep you updated once I have more info.

What are the color codes?
Alphas: L9 base, CR legend
Mods: U9 base, CR legend

Example of an Cherry OG Keycap set?
This is what we get in Germany usually.

Are you not stealing from Wodan?
No, he approves and appreciates this GB and will even buy some kits.

samuelcable

11 Jun 2019, 14:59

Good luck with the gb!

depletedvespene

11 Jun 2019, 20:27

The only thing I'm really missing in the above diagram is an R4 End key. Other than that, bravo!

depletedvespene

11 Jun 2019, 20:33

The above said, the OCD git that I truly am (but more or less hide) says that a "perfect" kit would include all the mods, so one could use only the alphas (or alpha-colored keys) from an old keyboard and thus avoid having mods that differ by a slight tone. Of course, that would be quite some more keys to add...

jani80k

12 Jun 2019, 09:32

depletedvespene wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 20:27
The only thing I'm really missing in the above diagram is an R4 End key. Other than that, bravo!
We have gotten this input multiple times through various channels, now. It is out main intent to keep the number of keys low to keep the prices down. However, we will include this key in the next version of our render.

scottc

12 Jun 2019, 09:57

If you're keeping the key count down, why are you including those numpad keys? They hardly seem relevant.

jani80k

13 Jun 2019, 09:22

scottc wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 09:57
If you're keeping the key count down, why are you including those numpad keys? They hardly seem relevant.
Thanks for the feedback. Will definitely take it into account.

Khers

14 Jun 2019, 08:38

Very much interested.

I'd personally prefer skipping the numpad keys and the X.25 bottom row to keep key count low. I can see the appeal of the latter, though.

Menuhin

14 Jun 2019, 09:57

Interested: this is the thing after the no-more HAD-adapter kits

I have to shout out also:
I forgot who (the MassDrop dudes??) started using the "Code" key, then a bunch of sellers who do not look into computer history followed in their selling gigs.

Please consider "Super" (in Linux and Windows) instead of "Code" (what is that?? programming your 'code' in an IDE? Or Text pad? or Vi?) "Super" goes with "Meta" (in Emacs and some other long living programs) and perhaps also "Hyper" (in older machines).

Also, it's good to have those 1u Alt and 1u Ctrl go in pairs.

If you want to be more inclusive - Windows logo key, Mac "Command", and "Option" keys.

jani80k

28 Jun 2019, 10:18

Hi guys,

just a quick update from my side.

We updated the kit for community feedback and price/performance.
hmmm.png
hmmm.png (119.19 KiB) Viewed 7106 times
We are now executing the next steps towards the GB.

Cheers,
Jani

hansichen

28 Jun 2019, 12:04

Menuhin wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 09:57
Interested: this is the thing after the no-more HAD-adapter kits

I have to shout out also:
I forgot who (the MassDrop dudes??) started using the "Code" key, then a bunch of sellers who do not look into computer history followed in their selling gigs.

Please consider "Super" (in Linux and Windows) instead of "Code" (what is that?? programming your 'code' in an IDE? Or Text pad? or Vi?) "Super" goes with "Meta" (in Emacs and some other long living programs) and perhaps also "Hyper" (in older machines).

Also, it's good to have those 1u Alt and 1u Ctrl go in pairs.

If you want to be more inclusive - Windows logo key, Mac "Command", and "Option" keys.
Sadly super doesn'T work properly on 1u keycaps. It's one letter too long and it doesn't really fit visually onto the keycap. I think that's why Code is still a thing.

depletedvespene

28 Jun 2019, 15:41

hansichen wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 12:04

Sadly super doesn'T work properly on 1u keycaps. It's one letter too long and it doesn't really fit visually onto the keycap. I think that's why Code is still a thing.
As long as the "Meta" legend doesn't make a comeback, we should be good. ¡Down with EMACS! ¡vi forever!

Menuhin

01 Jul 2019, 13:46

I have never trying to be against people who want to do some convenient quickies with vi or vim - so please don't pull the trigger here.

On "code" key though, one can say "super" is one letter to long for 1u but it still doesn't represent anything in OS or IDE. There can be many smarter options, can't we?
It's almost like we don't have rice or bread, let's eat some paper...

Findecanor

01 Jul 2019, 14:11

Menuhin wrote:
On "code" key though, one can say "super" is one letter to long for 1u but it still doesn't represent anything in OS or IDE. There can be many smarter options, can't we?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
The key is called Super in many desktop environments for Unix/Linux.
I think most people who use Code use it instead of a Fn key: as a layer-modifier, which is how it was used on electronic typewriters.

depletedvespene

01 Jul 2019, 14:19

Findecanor wrote:
Menuhin wrote:
I think most people who use Code use it instead of a Fn key: as a layer-modifier, which is how it was used on electronic typewriters.
Yes, indeed.
Wheelwriter module.
Wheelwriter module.
WM2.png (615.04 KiB) Viewed 6972 times

Now, if we all could agree on a ceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeertain icon (and its mirrored counterpart) to make a comeback and become prevalent, instead of a certain legend(s), wouldn't we all be happy? (I know I would)

Menuhin

01 Jul 2019, 23:01

Findecanor wrote:
Menuhin wrote:
I am referring to the "Super" key in many desktop environments in Unix/Linux.
I prefer it than "Code" because a lot of people use Linux/Unix nowadays, and even OSX is based on BSD.

How badly or how nicely the 1u 5-letter "Super" keys look as manufactured by SP and GMK:
Spoiler:

Return to “Group buys”