Repairing Model F badges

Rezene

28 Apr 2019, 22:06

Is there any way to repair badges for model f's? I see so many model f's that have scratched badges like
this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Clicke ... wjEpcwQU8l and it makes me pretty sad tbh. If anyone has any ideas I would like to know. Than you

Wazrach

28 Apr 2019, 22:24

Rezene wrote:
Is there any way to repair badges for model f's? I see so many model f's that have scratched badges like
this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Clicke ... wjEpcwQU8l and it makes me pretty sad tbh. If anyone has any ideas I would like to know. Than you
I believe that's caused by some kind of reaction with the aluminium, but I could be wrong.

I contacted an industrial badge-making company and asked them to produce a custom badge for my F-122 (which I don't have yet, seriously hoping I get it on Saturday). They said they'd be able to produce the badge to scale and according to the design I came up with. I'll be able to take pictures of that when I get it, but I will attach the design I came up with. Note that it's supposed to be metallic gold. :P

Maybe you should check out a company like this if you're looking to get a brand new badge. I don't think you can repair the original badges, but you could probably sand the surface somehow to remove the surface damage. I'm sure you can quite easily have the IBM logo printed onto it.
Attachments
custom badge.PNG
custom badge.PNG (21.14 KiB) Viewed 2250 times

Rezene

28 Apr 2019, 23:57

Wazrach wrote:
Rezene wrote:
I believe that's caused by some kind of reaction with the aluminium, but I could be wrong.

I contacted an industrial badge-making company and asked them to produce a custom badge for my F-122 (which I don't have yet, seriously hoping I get it on Saturday). They said they'd be able to produce the badge to scale and according to the design I came up with. I'll be able to take pictures of that when I get it, but I will attach the design I came up with. Note that it's supposed to be metallic gold. :P

Maybe you should check out a company like this if you're looking to get a brand new badge. I don't think you can repair the original badges, but you could probably sand the surface somehow to remove the surface damage. I'm sure you can quite easily have the IBM logo printed onto it.
I'll probably do that eventually; when you get that badge in make sure to post it that seems sharp!

Wazrach

29 Apr 2019, 00:18

Rezene wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 23:57
Wazrach wrote:
Rezene wrote:

I'll probably do that eventually; when you get that badge in make sure to post it that seems sharp!
Will do! I'd like to see what you end up doing with the badge, feel free to update the thread when you do. :3

I can't take credit for the base design, it was a template of a standard F XT badge I found here on Deskthority. I just changed it a bit. :P

Rezene

13 Jun 2019, 01:55

on my model f there is a small portion of the badge that is a shiny silver and the rest is dullish is that dullish part the plastic cover? I don't want to try and take it off and make it look terrible
Attachments
20190612_195209.jpg
20190612_195209.jpg (4.49 MiB) Viewed 2061 times

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

13 Jun 2019, 02:20

Yeah I think thats a protective cover for it. I'd take if off, but very carefully in order to not scratch the metal or lettering.

AJM

13 Jun 2019, 10:26

Taking off that protective film is the most satisfying finale of every keyboard restoration.
Only once it happened to me that a little bit of the print got off together with the film.
(Maybe warming it up with a hair dryer could have prevented that?)

Rezene

13 Jun 2019, 14:36

AJM wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 10:26
Taking off that protective film is the most satisfying finale of every keyboard restoration.
Only once it happened to me that a little bit of the print got off together with the film.
(Maybe warming it up with a hair dryer could have prevented that?)
it was not satisfying at all. The film was stuck onto the badge really bad and took a while of picking at it.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Jun 2019, 07:30

Rezene wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 14:36
it was not satisfying at all. The film was stuck onto the badge really bad and took a while of picking at it.
As long as you didn't scratch the metal or ruin the lettering its a win in my book :P

Return to “Keyboards”