latte/coffee solutions

Coso

07 Jun 2019, 11:56

Hey guys... so my girlfriend is getting down with the lifestyle. Every morning she gets up and has some coffee with creamer and sugar. For a tiny girl, this amounts to a huge bunch of carbs and calories in the morning. How can she have delicious coffee without all that sugar and creamer?

cookie

07 Jun 2019, 14:20

I'd let her try high grade, freshly ground pour over coffee, medium roast. Once a person gets hooked by the complex flavours, adding sugar or creme would be just blasphemy.

swampangel

07 Jun 2019, 14:45

An Aeropress makes a good espresso-like cup without much acidity, so it might be a nice intro to black coffee.

But I hope this is something that you and her have discussed already, and you're not trying to manage her diet for her.

Findecanor

07 Jun 2019, 14:54

Well... I know the perfect solution to a perfect cup of coffee that tastes good without being fattening. The trick is to spot underhanded "astroturf" advertising when it appears and not be fooled by it.
New user, first post unrelated to the subject of this board, about a subject that people are sensitive too. There is a usually a follow-up the next day from the same or from another newly registered account with the answer to the question in the first post, with a link to the product he/she/it is peddling.

JP!

07 Jun 2019, 16:02

Get a coffee grinder, electric kettle, and a high quality french press.

CountNoctua

19 Jun 2019, 07:47

Will second the above. All the other coffee brewing methods have their merits, but French press makes for a flavorful and good mouthfeel brew, with minimal cleaning and no need to purchase filters. An entry-level burr grinder isn't too expensive and will ensure consistent grinds, and electric kettle the right brewing temp. 4 minutes steep at 200F with 2 tbsp coffee per cup water is what I do, though you'll see slight deviations from that depending on who you ask.

Light and medium roasts are much more palatable black. I prefer single origin most of the time, as you learn to appreciate terroir and the variety of flavors in coffees from around the world. I roast my own coffee sometimes, as well.

Drinking coffee black is an acquired taste, but once you get into it you start to really enjoy coffee, not just the sugar and creamer or caffeine, or even the ritual itself (all of those are good reasons to enjoy the experience, but it's best to love coffee itself, too).

I do often drink coffee (particularly darker roasts) with almond milk or other nut "milks"/creamers, and they add a trivial amount of calories.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

19 Jun 2019, 08:11

Coso wrote:
Hey guys... so my girlfriend is getting down with the lifestyle. Every morning she gets up and has some coffee with creamer and sugar. For a tiny girl, this amounts to a huge bunch of carbs and calories in the morning. How can she have delicious coffee without all that sugar and creamer?
Why are you so concerned about this? Let the girl enjoy her sweet coffee IMO. As long as she is healthy in other areas, what's wrong with a little sweetness in the morning?

Wazrach

19 Jun 2019, 09:38

swampangel wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 14:45
An Aeropress makes a good espresso-like cup without much acidity, so it might be a nice intro to black coffee.
I use an Aeropress, it's pretty good. I don't get the fancy schmancy expensive coffee though, I'm fine with stuff like Lavazza and stuff from Asda.

Scarpia

19 Jun 2019, 10:33

Findecanor wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 14:54
Well... I know the perfect solution to a perfect cup of coffee that tastes good without being fattening. The trick is to spot underhanded "astroturf" advertising when it appears and not be fooled by it.
New user, first post unrelated to the subject of this board, about a subject that people are sensitive too. There is a usually a follow-up the next day from the same or from another newly registered account with the answer to the question in the first post, with a link to the product he/she/it is peddling.
This. Well spotted, my friend. Also, who the hell says “getting down with the lifestyle”? Made me want to dunk his head in a vat of protein shake until his inflated show pony limbs stopped moving.

Yeah, can we just delete this thread and OP’s spam account?

zazxyz

22 Jun 2019, 11:18

Stevia for sweetener replacement - almond milk for creamer.

adhoc

26 Jun 2019, 16:28

What do these bots want? Are they making accounts so they will be old with time and thus more “reliable” to the community after some time or what?

I keep seeing threads with just 1 post by OP and they’re gone. I once read old accounts can sell pretty well on sites like reddit.

depletedvespene

26 Jun 2019, 16:46

adhoc wrote:
What do these bots want? Are they making accounts so they will be old with time and thus more “reliable” to the community after some time or what?
Perhaps it is time for me to step out of the closet.

Allow me to introduce you to Vespene: our very own natural gas mix, from Vespene Technologies L.L.C. - it will satisfy your needs for abundant, clean and reliable energy! Vespene is cheap, so your pocket will not suffer! Vespene is non-toxic, so your lungs will not suffer! Vespene is the HOT new thing that will breathe new AIR into an fragmented, corrupted, dirty industry.

Contact our sales representatives and start getting down with the lifestyle with Vespene!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

26 Jun 2019, 17:46

depletedvespene wrote:

Allow me to introduce you to Vespene: our very own natural gas mix, from Vespene Technologies L.L.C. - it will satisfy your needs for abundant, clean and reliable energy! Vespene is cheap, so your pocket will not suffer! Vespene is non-toxic, so your lungs will not suffer! Vespene is the HOT new thing that will breathe new AIR into an fragmented, corrupted, dirty industry.

Contact our sales representatives and start getting down with the lifestyle with Vespene!
:lol:

zazxyz

26 Jun 2019, 23:00

depletedvespene wrote:
adhoc wrote:

Need more Vespene Gas.

PlacaFromHell

27 Jun 2019, 04:10

I usually drink my coffee with cold orange juice. The good acidity of the orange neutralize the bad acidity of the coffee, resulting in a very good flavor.

depletedvespene

27 Jun 2019, 04:19

PlacaFromHell wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 04:10
I usually drink my coffee with cold orange juice. The good acidity of the orange neutralize the bad acidity of the coffee, resulting in a very good flavor.
But how do you heat up the coffee? And how do you ensure your orange juice is cold? Through Various Energy Sources, Probably Emitting Not Enough power for you to enjoy the blending of proper hot and true cold? Try something else! Something new and cheap and reliable, and that will let you get down with the lifestyle!

andrewjoy

27 Jun 2019, 11:53

Drink tea , its better !

BlumKram

03 Jul 2019, 13:12

I wouldn't recommend imbibing too much coffee, it influences your teeth and causes skin acne) herbal tea is a better option. The best ones are with mint odor.

depletedvespene

03 Jul 2019, 13:18

BlumKram wrote:
I wouldn't recommend imbibing too much coffee, it influences your teeth and causes skin acne) herbal tea is a better option
But... good herbal tea must be served hot. How do you heat it up?

BlumKram

03 Jul 2019, 13:23

depletedvespene wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 13:18
BlumKram wrote:
I wouldn't recommend imbibing too much coffee, it influences your teeth and causes skin acne) herbal tea is a better option
But... good herbal tea must be served hot. How do you heat it up?
just brew it in a teapot, huh?)

Chyros

03 Jul 2019, 14:44

Btw you shouldn't drink things that are very hot. Very bad for your esophagus, causes all sorts of problems.

depletedvespene

03 Jul 2019, 15:33

Chyros wrote:
Btw you shouldn't drink things that are very hot. Very bad for your esophagus, causes all sorts of problems.
And that is why Vespene™ is perfect for all your herbal tea heating needs! Vespene™ patented gaseous granularity allows you to solidly determine the exact temperature you want your liquids to reach, down to the tenth of a degree*. Be it with coffee or herbal tea, Vespene™ will help you get down with the lifestyle effciently, healthily and cheaply!

Get in contact with our sales representatives today!

* Eigthteen centesimal parts of a degree, for those living in uncivilized countries.

CountNoctua

04 Jul 2019, 07:08

depletedvespene wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 15:33
Chyros wrote:
And that is why Vespene™ is perfect for all your herbal tea heating needs! Vespene™ patented gaseous granularity allows you to solidly determine the exact temperature you want your liquids to reach, down to the tenth of a degree*. Be it with coffee or herbal tea, Vespene™ will help you get down with the lifestyle effciently, healthily and cheaply!

Get in contact with our sales representatives today!

* Eigthteen centesimal parts of a degree, for those living in uncivilized countries.
I tried Vespene once. Blacked out, woke up 5 days later, found out I got this half-Terran, half-Zerg girl I don't even remember meeting pregnant. Never again.

depletedvespene

04 Jul 2019, 12:11

CountNoctua wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 07:08
I tried Vespene once. Blacked out, woke up 5 days later, found out I got this half-Terran, half-Zerg girl I don't even remember meeting pregnant. Never again.
Serves you right for misusing Vespene so crassly! Vespene Technologies L.L.C. advocates and has always advocated for a healthy lifestyle everyone can get down with, and safe Vespene consumption is a fundamental part of it.

The above said, if you do switch to Vespene for your household and/or industrial energy needs, you'll soon discover that you'll be saving so much money, alimony payments won't be an issue. Contact our sales representatives and start keep getting down with the lifestyle with Vespene!

P.S.: at least, was she hot?

vometia
irritant

10 Jul 2019, 01:09

I've never been able to get the hang of unsweetened coffee, though being of the diabetic persuasion I avoid things like actual sugar, honey, whatevs; I know that artificial sweeteners are controversial in some parts, but at least they haven't tried to kill me yet! I used to brew my own with freshly roast beans and a big E61 contraption but I've become lazy and now just use a capsule machine with a twirly milk frother. Works well enough for me.

("Keeb"...? ew.)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Jul 2019, 17:45

zazxyz wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 11:18
Stevia for sweetener replacement - almond milk for creamer.
This isn't a bad route imo.
vometia wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 01:09
I've never been able to get the hang of unsweetened coffee, though being of the diabetic persuasion I avoid things like actual sugar, honey, whatevs; I know that artificial sweeteners are controversial in some parts, but at least they haven't tried to kill me yet! I used to brew my own with freshly roast beans and a big E61 contraption but I've become lazy and now just use a capsule machine with a twirly milk frother. Works well enough for me.

("Keeb"...? ew.)
I feel your pain, I am also in the diabetic prison. Avoid artificial sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame because they kill off your gut bacteria leading to digestive issues down the line. Stevia, honey, or real sugar is better than those options.

As far as what to drink in the morning, all I drink is preworkout. I never really liked the taste of coffee. :roll:

vometia
irritant

11 Jul 2019, 07:21

Redmaus wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 17:45
I feel your pain, I am also in the diabetic prison. Avoid artificial sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame because they kill off your gut bacteria leading to digestive issues down the line.
That's quite interesting as I have been experiencing worsening problems with IBS-type symptoms and my doctor reckons it's most likely a bacterial imbalance thing. Trouble is, I like fizzy drinks and the non-artificially-sweetened variety are 170 cals/can. If I'm going to blow that many calories, I'd rather have a beer! Fortunately I'm not the "half a dozen colas a day" type addict but I do like a can of something fizzy in the evening to get rid of the toothpaste from my mouth, something they seem to make using permafroth these days.

My diabetes has actually retreated enough that a spoon of honey in each of my 2-3 coffees a day isn't going to kill me, though.

Half-Saint

11 Jul 2019, 07:33

Coso wrote:
When I started my first real job, back in 2004, we never seemed to have any sugar in the office kitchen. That's how I learned to drink coffee and tea without sugar. Been drinking it like that ever since :-)

zuglufttier

20 Jul 2019, 10:49

I, too, drink my coffee without milk or sweeteners just because on my first job both were missing all the time and I just got accustomed :D

Nowadays, the best coffee for me is turkish mocca! You prepare it in a thing called Dzhesva made from copper, I don't even know how to pronounce that... Anyway, because of the preparation, it tastes not bitter at all. Also, I add some spices like cinnamon, muscat, cardamom and cloves.

Then, I don't really need any sugar at all, although adding some won't hurt...

Return to “Off-topic”