Finally a proper case for the Vortex ViBE

AJM

22 Jun 2019, 20:47

The layout of the Vortex ViBE is pretty much perfect for me. After starting with a MX brown version, I changed to silent reds and in the end I took the first board and replaced the MX browns with lubed Healios.
The only thing missing now was a proper case. I've never been a fan of the "caseless" floating designs, but had to accept it, because there is not really an alternative with that key layout.

After seeing photos of the Apple M0110A keyboard and doing some guessing, I tought the opening might be just the right size for the ViBE and I got one on eBay.

The gaps on the top and bottom are perfect. On the sides it's a very tight fit. To prevent the keycaps in the corners hitting the case you could:
- make the rounded corners of the case square
- modify the corner keycaps
- What I did was, that I just used a round file from below and widened the corners in a slanted way - invisible from the top (hard to describe; I should have made a photo :roll: )

Removing the separator was a bit "intimidating", but with a saw, file and sandpaper (150, 400, 2000) it turned out perfectly. (after retro-brighting practically invisible)

After removal of the separator, but before retro-brighting:
w1.jpg
w1.jpg (284.63 KiB) Viewed 78672 times
Then you need a nearly 3 mm thick piece of board (the top side was originally white, so I put matt black film onto it to prevent any white stuff peeking out from underneath later):
w2.jpg
w2.jpg (350.25 KiB) Viewed 78672 times
- 6 small holes for the case screws
- a cut-out for the cable on the top
- 2 bigger holes in the upper half, where the case of the ViBE gets fixed - using the screw holes for the feet. I had to take/make longer screws than the originals that are used for the feet, though. (These holes should be bigger than the diameter of the screws, so you can adjust the position of the keyboard later. That also means you need washers on the underside, which again increases the needed length of the screws.)
- the biggest holes towards the bottom are not really necessary - for some reason I only didn't want to take the lower rubber feet of the ViBE - so they end up in those holes.

USB extension cable fixed with some rubber at the cases exit. Angled micro usb adapter and a few sheets of rubber-cork (of which I bought far too much - for making replacement feet for Model F XTs) to reduce the hollowness:
w3.jpg
w3.jpg (653.18 KiB) Viewed 78672 times
Assembled - apart from the top case. (In the end I added very thin metal washers to the holes for the case screws, because my board was a tiny bit too thin, which put a bit of stress onto the case, when I tightened the screws. Especially noticeable in the middle of the horizontal gaps, where the case then bends towards the keys. )
w4.jpg
w4.jpg (275.05 KiB) Viewed 78672 times

Result:
(The marbled look comes from my first retro-bright attempt using the original 8-bit-guy method. But in the end I liked it so much, that I didn't try to "fix" it.)
featured
featured
w5.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 78672 times
w6.jpg
w6.jpg (139.35 KiB) Viewed 78672 times
w7.jpg
w7.jpg (169.04 KiB) Viewed 78672 times
w8.jpg
w8.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 78672 times

And my favourite beauty shot (again):
w9.jpg
w9.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 78672 times

PlacaFromHell

22 Jun 2019, 22:55

Dude, that's the most beautyful keyboard I have ever seen. For some reason both yellowing and marbling look so good on the M110's. I have one in his original state and I love it, but because of the layout rarely goes out of the plastic bag.

depletedvespene

23 Jun 2019, 01:11

Excellent work! How about a typing demo video, so we see how it handles under usage? (and how do healios sound inside that case, too)

AJM

23 Jun 2019, 11:55

Thanks a lot.

Concerning typing demo: I tried that already, but - just as with den Model F XT videos, I did some time ago - it sounds very, very reverberating. No matter, if I use my photo-camera or an iPhone. That doesn't do it justice.
(Maybe I'll try a different setup ....)

AJM

23 Jun 2019, 13:56

New try in terms of video production :D - with camera (=microphone) directly above the keyboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9Qo4mw4DE

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

23 Jun 2019, 17:00

That is really cool. Except I think the marbled look just looks like smudges on the case, but to each their own.

Stuff like this makes me glad I kept a lot of the vintage cases I had from desoldering projects.

AdrianMan

23 Jun 2019, 18:15

Andy that is sick man !

Really nice work !

Geroximo

23 Jun 2019, 22:10

Beautiful

derzemel

23 Jun 2019, 23:47

Never considered Vortex keyboards until now. Impressive result.

I am wondering if there are any other magic combos like this.

zslane

24 Jun 2019, 18:49

The /dev/tty Triumph keycaps are the real stars here. Well done!

cookie

27 Jun 2019, 18:41

that's a nice looking board you've got there.

samuelcable

27 Jun 2019, 18:55

cool

Hypersphere

27 Jun 2019, 21:26

It's always gratifying to see a fortuitous repurposing of vintage parts. Nice work.

Arkebes

28 Jun 2019, 07:13

So very cool!

ideus

28 Jun 2019, 14:49

That was a very nice idea. It's sound is awesome. On marbling I would really like to see the case properly retro brightened instead, but for each one its own taste.

Polecat

02 Jul 2019, 06:42

Wow, I just saw this on the header, absolutely beautiful!

DeChief

30 Jul 2019, 07:39

Beautiful... but a huge shame. Mac 128k/512k/Plus keyboards are expensive enough as it is, I'd rather not be paying $300 for one of them in a few year's time when everybody has cannibalized their cases :(

AJM

30 Jul 2019, 10:29

I'm quite sure nobody will pay $300 for a yellowed M0110A keyboard with EXTREMELY scratchy and binding Mitsumi switches and missing/wrong keycaps. ;)

olePigeon

16 Sep 2019, 19:22

I tried using the developer creme twice, and both times it marbled even when using plastic wrap and keeping it moist. I'd never recommend it. Just leaving the case out in the sun will brighten it, but it can take several days of exposure. It also avoids making the plastics more brittle. Otherwise, just submerging it in hydrogen peroxide (even deluded) and leaving in the sun or under UV will make for a very quick and even brightening.

rblevin

02 Nov 2019, 23:15

Gorgeous

jumpifzero

12 Nov 2019, 13:49

Amazing work. :) Congrats

AJM

15 Dec 2019, 18:29

In case there are some, who are not already fed up with my ViBE pictures .....

Because I'm very happy with my ViBE in a M0110A case, I wanted to treat my work keyboard in the same way and recently acquired a second M0110A keyboard.
As I said, I had grown very fond of my accidental marble effect, that happened during my first retro-brighting attempt and wanted to recreate it this time as well. So I again used the gel-under-clear-plastic-foil-technique and this time paid less attention to massaging the case parts regularly during their sun-bath, with the intention to boost the marble effect.
But compared to last time, when I did this at the hight of summer, this time it's winter with a low standing sun, low temperatures and a lot of clouds. So the parts were out for both afternoons last weekend and I even was worried, if that would be enough to revert the yellowing in certain places.

And guess what ...... It turned out 100 percent even with no marbling effect whatsoever!
dv2-1.jpg
dv2-1.jpg (700.06 KiB) Viewed 71174 times
dv2-2.jpg
dv2-2.jpg (403.06 KiB) Viewed 71174 times
dv2-3.jpg
dv2-3.jpg (313.91 KiB) Viewed 71174 times
So the slightly wild home keyboard now has a more conservative brother:
dv2-4.jpg
dv2-4.jpg (456.16 KiB) Viewed 71174 times

zrrion

15 Dec 2019, 19:29

I really like the second one, good job on the retro brite

Muirium
µ

15 Dec 2019, 20:16

Aye. That one's a real beaut. The colours and the case turned out just perfect! Very tempted to make a DT banner from it…

Here's some attempts for your potential approval.
dv2-4 crop copy.jpg
dv2-4 crop copy.jpg (343.54 KiB) Viewed 71149 times
dv2-1.jpg
dv2-1.jpg (232.7 KiB) Viewed 71147 times

AJM

15 Dec 2019, 21:12

Thanks. It's always an honour if one's pictures are used as banner, of course.
In case of the double picture - maybe the cable on only one of the keyboards is a bit disturbing? Maybe this would be better?
dv2-4_crop2.jpg
dv2-4_crop2.jpg (256.42 KiB) Viewed 71139 times

t!ng
Awake Sheep

19 Jan 2020, 18:02

Shame y and z are on the wrong position =)

Nice boards...

AJM

19 Jan 2020, 18:12

t!ng wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 18:02
Shame y and z are on the wrong position =)
On the beige one, yes. The too boldly printed legends (from round 1) would stand out too much in these positions.
As you can see in the last pictures of the board with the Triumph mods - by now I've found one international kit with decently printed legends, where I can also use the correct Y and Z caps.

Aetasserenus

28 Feb 2020, 21:28

Muirium wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 20:16
Aye. That one's a real beaut. The colours and the case turned out just perfect! Very tempted to make a DT banner from it…

Here's some attempts for your potential approval.
dv2-4 crop copy.jpg
dv2-1.jpg
Stupendous work'
What keycaps are those?

AJM

01 Mar 2020, 11:17

Thanks. They're "MT3 /dev/tty".

Aetasserenus

02 Mar 2020, 21:17

AJM wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 11:17
Thanks. They're "MT3 /dev/tty".
You seem to have a couple of keys not included in that kit ('=', 'CONTROL' and a couple more) Are those taken from other kits or ordered separately elsewhere?

Return to “Workshop”