Unpopular opinions thread

Findecanor

25 Jun 2019, 16:37

depletedvespene wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 16:09
[...]
the US English keyboard layout has remained pretty much untouched... and nowadays is objectively (YMMV, IMHO) a serious limiting factor for English speakers, even if we forget all about other languages (see my previous comment on "extra" symbols commonly used in English).
Oh yes. One thing that irks me is whenever people use the letter X instead of the multiplication symbol × . As you can see, the symbol is lifted above the baseline. In a serif font, the letter has serifs whereas the symbol does not.
I mean... they are supposed to have learned the × symbol in Maths class in school. But they don't find it anywhere on their computer keyboards and they don't take the extra time to look it up...
This mis-use has even found its way into spoken language: "Our new product is five ecks faster" ... When I hear that, I just want to smack such a person on the head with a large fish!

On my Swedish keyboard, it is on Alt Gr+Shift+' ... or rather Alt Gr + * — because it is used as an alternative to the * symbol. Unfortunately, I have seen the use of the letter instead of the multiplication symbol also in Sweden.
Last edited by Findecanor on 25 Jun 2019, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Jun 2019, 18:47

*forums are dead

depletedvespene

25 Jun 2019, 19:10

matt3o wrote:
*forums are dead
That's because proper debate is dead.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Jun 2019, 19:20

no, that's because people have the attention span of a goldfish

depletedvespene

25 Jun 2019, 19:30

matt3o wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 19:20
no, that's because people have the attention span of a goldfish
Yeah, it's been been pretty hot lately around here.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Jun 2019, 19:34

So we need more cats.

SneakyRobb
THINK

25 Jun 2019, 20:18

matt3o wrote:
*forums are dead
Hey some people over in a different forum disapprove, but I heard you people are cool. Check out my new to me "X". Its not the best but Im part of the club :D Can you show me some love?

Here is a quarter on a banana on a shoe on a cat for scale. The cats name is Battlestar Galactica

**Bonus reference in the background for you cool people as well. 8-)

depletedvespene

25 Jun 2019, 20:23

ಠ_ಠ You missed the bottle, either of an artisan beer or of an exotic brand of sparkling water. N00B!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Jun 2019, 20:37

here take my upvote, your e-penis is now 2000bytes long

depletedvespene

25 Jun 2019, 20:39

Not 2048? Freakin' inflation, eats into everything!

Findecanor

25 Jun 2019, 21:57

Are you sure it wasn't actually 1920?

Opinion:
• It is not OK to use the "4K" moniker for 3840 horizontal video resolution.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Jun 2019, 08:07

* VR is the ultimate idiocy

Chyros

26 Jun 2019, 09:09

Superhero films are rubbish and should fuck off, I want them to start making good films again!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Jun 2019, 10:31

* vinyl records don't make you look smart
* apple is as evil as google for completely different reasons
* Steam is just another way to sell your data to game companies
* soccer/football is an incredibly boring sport to watch
* drinking is just borrowing happiness from the day after

depletedvespene

26 Jun 2019, 10:51

Chyros wrote:
Superhero films are rubbish and should fuck off, I want them to start making good films again!
Writing on movies has become formulaic and exceedingly by-the-numbers and it's both in superhero and in horror movies where this shows more clearly. Everything else (production values, special effects, acting, etc.) has grown steadily better, so poor writing clashes sorely with the rest.

adhoc

26 Jun 2019, 12:20

Chyros wrote:
Agreed, enough with the fucking super hero movies already.
depletedvespene wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 19:10
matt3o wrote:
*forums are dead
That's because proper debate is dead.
Yeah, it’s uncool to have an opinion or something to say. If you do, you have to just flick it with a few words out of you and it absolutely must contain a joke.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Jun 2019, 12:27

adhoc wrote:
Yeah, it’s uncool to have an opinion or something to say. If you do, you have to just flick it with a few words out of you and it absolutely must contain a joke.
reddit reply generator:
- seconded
- is she single?
- the [something in background that has nothing to do with the original post] bothers me
- covfefe

depletedvespene

26 Jun 2019, 12:28

matt3o wrote:
adhoc wrote:
reddit reply generator:
- seconded
- is she single?
- the [something in background that has nothing to do with the original post] bothers me
- covfefe
- ???
- PROFIT!

Oh, wait, that was the slashdot reply generator.

Findecanor

26 Jun 2019, 16:15

depletedvespene wrote:
matt3o wrote:
adhoc wrote:
reddit reply generator:
- seconded
- is she single?
- covfefe
- ???
- PROFIT!

That's not really a Slashdot meme, but a South Park meme.
Some people have found it fitting in discussions about hare-brained tech business plans ... which of course get a lot of ridicule on Slashdot, but you can find it posted anywhere ... by people old enough to have seen the original episode back in '98.

depletedvespene

26 Jun 2019, 16:27

Findecanor wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 16:15
depletedvespene wrote:

That's not really a Slashdot meme, but a South Park meme.
Some people have found it fitting in discussions about hare-brained tech business plans ... which of course get a lot of ridicule on Slashdot, but you can find it posted anywhere ... by people old enough to have seen the original episode back in '98.
I know, I know... but it was used so much in the slashdot community that in techie circles it's still associated more to /. than to South Park... much like the "slashdot effect" moniker is still used nowadays instead of the original "flashing", from the "flash crowds" expression Larry Niven coined back in the day.

Come to think of it... am I the only git who remembers the term "flashing" used in this sense? Would be worrying to discover that, indeed, I am. :?

Findecanor

27 Jun 2019, 18:56

• Ranks and titles should be used only in a setting where the title is relevant. Your title does not get to be a part of your name. If you are a Captain in a navy, then that applies to military events only. If you are a Doctor of <field> then your title is applicable only at general academic events and in <field>: You have not earned the right to be called Doctor anywhere else.

samuelcable

29 Jun 2019, 05:40

i like gmk handarbeit unironically

Chyros

03 Jul 2019, 12:03

This topic is way too good to let die xD . Here's some more:

All rap apart from a few Eminem tracks suck ass. In fact, almost all new music sucks.
Everything with fewer than about 250,000 inhabitants is not a city. Everything under 100k is practically a farm.
Irish whiskey has no taste and bourbon is barely drinkable even if you put tons of coke in it.

Zaphir

03 Jul 2019, 12:51

I totally agree about newish / more recent rap, it can put itself where the sun doesn't shine (yes, I'm looking at you Lil' "whatever").
Also agree that superhero films are way too many to keep track and that most of them suck... sheesh can we tone that down a bit please?

And here's another one:
All of these newer ultra lightweight (<80g) gaming mice with honeycomb design look tacky as hell and are probably cheaply made too.

depletedvespene

03 Jul 2019, 13:25

Merkén spice isn't special at all (or any good), as far as pepper-based spices go. It's become "in" because local "gourmet" gastronomers needed something exotic-ish to prep up their local crap. Merkén doesn't actually deserve a special place in a "high" kitchen.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Jul 2019, 08:15

* journalism is mostly dead
* ignorance and laziness brings people to install windows
* total eclipse of the heart is the best music video ever made. anything after that is basically garbage
* Nintendo games have become boring and repetitive

Chyros

04 Jul 2019, 09:00

Consoles are a pathetic excuse for a gaming platform and controllers are the worst input devices in recorded history.

imdatperson

04 Jul 2019, 09:09

Chyros wrote:
Consoles are a pathetic excuse for a gaming platform and controllers are the worst input devices in recorded history.
UNACCEPTABLLEEEEEEEE

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

04 Jul 2019, 09:24

Chyros wrote:
But....but super smash bros!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Jul 2019, 09:27

Chyros wrote:
addendum: all AAA games suck

Return to “Off-topic”