Micro Conectors SMK-8112JU- Worth restoring or just harvest the switches (Black SKCM(?) Alps)?

PancakeMSTR

28 Jun 2019, 21:50

Findecanor

28 Jun 2019, 22:10

In my opinion, Black Alps is the least interesting Alps switch but an Alps keyboard that talks USB is more unusual.
Personally, I loathe the translucent iMac-style. However, I think the PowerMac G4 cases look great if they have been painted white with black accents. Those remind me of Stormtrooper from Star Wars and the AI cores in Portal.
Therefore ... My suggestion is that you unscrew the case and paint it white. Then maybe replace or mod the switches.

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Jun 2019, 00:13

That is interesting to look at. Does it have decent weight and stability?

I agree with the suggestion of painting case, replacing cable, and modding or swapping switches.

A good set of black ANSI Alps keycaps is always valuable, especially if compatible with AEK and AEK2

PancakeMSTR

29 Jun 2019, 00:54

I think Ii'll probably part it out. I'm not really that into painting the case, but if anyone particularly wants to buy it I'm happy to sell it to them.

abrahamstechnology

29 Jun 2019, 04:39

How much?

Polecat

29 Jun 2019, 05:46

I have two of these, and I believe they came in all the Mac jellybean colors. The caps are pad printed (?). They're thin and are made of a very soft plastic. To me the switches are probably the worst part of the deal. One of mine feels like typical black Alps; the other has switches so bad that they actually squeak. I'm guessing it's an age difference, since both are clean and relatively unused.

PancakeMSTR

29 Jun 2019, 06:19

abrahamstechnology wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 04:39
How much?
IDK, I feel like it could possibly be worth more parted out, if I cleaned up the keycaps and switches nicely, but I'd let it go for $30+ shipping.

The switches really don't feel that bad. I think they just need a cleaning, after which they could be pretty decent.

abrahamstechnology

29 Jun 2019, 22:44

If you want I can get some relegendable Alps keycaps to replace the power button.

PancakeMSTR

30 Jun 2019, 03:10

abrahamstechnology wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 22:44
If you want I can get some relegendable Alps keycaps to replace the power button.
The power button isn't alps. Some weird unknown switch.

Return to “Keyboards”