Silent keyboards slow typing speed (research?)

Keybug

30 Jun 2019, 23:20

It has been proven that a completely silent keyboard (emitting no sound at all when you strike a key) slows down the typing speed.
From the description of a gaming keyboard on Amazon (Klim Chroma wireless).

Would they be referring to any serious research or is it just their personal opinion?

It's BS, of course, (or at least an oversimplification) as it doesn't take the relation between sound and actuation into consideration. Also, what keyboard was ever completely silent?

swampangel

01 Jul 2019, 03:29

I think those waterproof rollable keyboards would count, but those slow your typing speed for a totally different reason

Findecanor

01 Jul 2019, 03:32

I have an excerpt from a HMI book with references to papers that claim that auditory feedback can lead to increased typing speed. That does not prove the converse, however: that a completely silent keyboard would be detrimental. Tactile feedback would provide the same effect for a keyboard that is otherwise relatively silent (or unheard: study participants wore headphones with white noise).

The studies do also say that feedback must occur immediately after actuation, otherwise it will have no effect. A study tested with a consistent delay to the click sound: after a certain time, a group of more experienced typists had learned to adjust to the click being delayed, while a group of less experienced typists did not.

I suspect also that if a keyboard is too rattly, clicks on the upstroke and/or is very loud on bottoming out or topping up, then the auditory feedback could gets lost among all the other noise, thus reducing its impact. All my keyboards with Cherry MX Blue have O-rings for sound damping for that reason. It sounds better to my ears if I get click without the clack.

BTW. I do think that I myself do inhibit my typing a bit if I feel that the keyboard I use is too loud and harsh — that it sounds like it would break if I type on it too violently. I have got that feeling with some keyboards with MX Red, where I would bottom out easily and feel it.
Heh. Imagine a keyboard that would provide an auditory crunch if you bottomed out, but only sometimes: how horrible that would be.

PlacaFromHell

01 Jul 2019, 07:23

Regarding my personal experiences and those of one of my friends, both we type a bit slower when listening to music at a very high volume (without hearing the noises coming from the keyboard). This is a bit hard to me because my beamspring is loud as fuck, but sounds makes a difference.

Keybug

01 Jul 2019, 09:39

Very interesting replies, thanks a lot.

Still makes me wonder whether the sound response could be completely replaced by tactile feedback - or which of the two is superior when it comes to its effect on typing speed. The question is a bit academical as practically all clicky switches have a tactile event built in. So I guess an interesting experiment would be to compare a linear switch with a solenoid doing the clicking (via headphones?) with a tactile switch + white noise...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

01 Jul 2019, 12:28

I always wonder how important typing speed seems to be to people who actually do not really have to type at high speed,
or at least for which a consistent high typing speed is not essential (like it would typically be for e.g. transcribing audio files).
Reminds me of car drivers impatient to start like a rocket as soon as the traffic light turns green just to get stuck at the next crossroads.

This of course does not mean I do not see the scientific , i.e. theoretical implications of the topic.

Keybug

01 Jul 2019, 12:37

For me it's not really about reaching top speeds, but I reason that a setup that allows you a very high (sustainable) speed while keeping errors down will be the most comfortable and productive in everyday situations as well...

Findecanor

01 Jul 2019, 13:43

Keybug wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 09:39
The question is a bit academical as practically all clicky switches have a tactile event built in. So I guess an interesting experiment would be to compare a linear switch with a solenoid doing the clicking (via headphones?) with a tactile switch + white noise...
There are programs that can provide the click sounds for any keyboard.
Chyros showed in a video that a solenoid is not that fast, it did not keep up with his typing.

Return to “Keyboards”