Cleaning and lubing ALPS switches

ghostdawg187

01 Jul 2019, 10:25

I have played the ALPS lottery and found two boards, one with ALPS SKCM white and with ALPS SKCM orange switches. Now I want to clean them. I have got several questions concerning cleaning and lubing, but I do not have a ultrasonic cleaner.

i.) I have watched chyrosran's cleaning video. He just mentions to use compressed air. What about using Isopropyl alcohol applied to a q-tip on the housing and bottom of the switch? I have read that orange ALPS already come factory lubricated. But after application of alcohol they should be relubed and the factory lubrication is lost. Maybe this kind of cleaning should be avoided for orange ALPS, but can be done for white ALPS, which are not factory lubed.

ii.) Which parts of the switch should definitely NOT be lubed? Or put in other words; what might damage the switch while lubrication?

iii.) If I want to do the paper mod on the orange ALPS, where does this little flap of the L-shaped folded piece of paper go? Does the tactile leaf "sit" on the folded piece of paper? But then it will be lifted a little bit, am I right? Might this cause any kind of problem?

Many thanks in advance. I am really excited to clean them :)

cli

01 Jul 2019, 17:18

ghostdawg187 wrote:
I have played the ALPS lottery and found two boards, one with ALPS SKCM white and with ALPS SKCM orange switches. Now I want to clean them. I have got several questions concerning cleaning and lubing, but I do not have a ultrasonic cleaner.

i.) I have watched chyrosran's cleaning video. He just mentions to use compressed air. What about using Isopropyl alcohol applied to a q-tip on the housing and bottom of the switch? I have read that orange ALPS already come factory lubricated. But after application of alcohol they should be relubed and the factory lubrication is lost. Maybe this kind of cleaning should be avoided for orange ALPS, but can be done for white ALPS, which are not factory lubed.

ii.) Which parts of the switch should definitely NOT be lubed? Or put in other words; what might damage the switch while lubrication?

iii.) If I want to do the paper mod on the orange ALPS, where does this little flap of the L-shaped folded piece of paper go? Does the tactile leaf "sit" on the folded piece of paper? But then it will be lifted a little bit, am I right? Might this cause any kind of problem?

Many thanks in advance. I am really excited to clean them :)
Isopropyl alcohol works fine.
On the wiki there is a lubing guide for Alps switches. It describes what and what not to lubed. Personally I only lube the sliders. Apply a thin layer of dry PTFE lube, if you apply too much it takes for ages before it completely dries up.

Darkshado

02 Jul 2019, 16:37

ghostdawg187 wrote:
For the paper mod you only need to insert a flat (preferably thick, quality) piece of paper between the back of the tactile leaf and the top housing; this is to eliminate the faint click which sometimes occurs with tactile leaves moving in the housing.

A slightly longer piece folder over the top of the leaf should also work and possibly help with switch reassembly. Note that if you use an excessively long piece of paper the slider will catch it on the upstroke, with uncertain results.

ghostdawg187

03 Jul 2019, 14:46

^^ Many thanks for your answers. I have also found this thread quite helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17566

Return to “Keyboards”