[SOLVED]Model M122 and Soarer's Converter issues

apastuszak

06 Jul 2019, 05:37

I bought a Model M122 off of eBay. It's a Unicomp model that is PS/2 and has lock lights. I'm trying very hard to map a bunch of keys and having a hell of a time. It's an IO Terminal model.

I can't get any of the extra function keys on the left side of the keyboard to remap using a PS/2 to USB Soarer's Converter. And I can't remap the Rule key in the middle of the NAV cluster. I found some sample M122 Soarer's converter example files on another thread and in that file the Rule key maps to LANG_4. When I try to use LANG_4, it does not work. And the left keys were supposed to be EXTRA_F1 through EXTRA_F10, but none of those work either.

I fired up Linux and pressed the key and it told me that the key combination for that key is CTRL+F7. So, I made a macro for CTRL+F7 and loaded it to the converter. When I press the Rule key it does nothing.

This is very frustrating.

I would greatly appreciate any help getting this to work.
Last edited by apastuszak on 07 Jul 2019, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Weezer

06 Jul 2019, 14:47

What are the HID_listen key codes

apastuszak

06 Jul 2019, 15:35

For the Rule key, I get:

r14 +E0 dE0 r83 +40 d40 rF0 r83 -40 u40 rF0 r14 -E0 uE0

For the upper right extra function key, I get:

r14 +E0 dE0 r05 +3A d3A rF0 r05 -3A u3A rF0 r14 -E0 uE0

apastuszak

06 Jul 2019, 17:52

I can't even begin to tell you how much time I have wasted trying to program this keyboard for a Soarer's converter. What's so different about this model M vs any other Model M?

Do I need a Windows driver? Do I need a Linux layout?\

Why does hid_listen show all these extra keys as standard 101 keys with modifier keys pressed?

I really want an M122 with lock lights.

apastuszak

06 Jul 2019, 20:26

A little more to the mystery here. When I plug in the keyboard is gets identified as:

Keyboard ID: AB83
Code Set: 2 (extended)
Mode: AT/PS2

Soarer's documentation says:
Terminal keyboards often have DIP switches on the back panel, or alternatively a pin header on the PCB that you can fit jumpers to, which configure the keyboard's ID code. The ID is a 16-bit number, but commonly fewer than 16 switches/jumpers are fitted meaning it's not possible to select all of the bits. The default value with no jumpers fitted, or with all the DIP switches in the 'open' position, is BFBF.

If your terminal keyboard is not operating correctly, it might be because the wrong ID is set on the switches/jumpers. The first byte should not be AB.
Well, opened this thing up and I can't find any jumper switches anywhere inside the case.

Anyone know where I should be looking?

apastuszak

06 Jul 2019, 21:33

And the journey continues. I cracked open the case and pulled this jumper off:

Once I did that, I started to get unique codes for all the F keys. They're not matching up with what's on the key, but at least they're unique. Since I have a Soarer's converter, I think that's all I need. I can map the others as needed.

There are two jumpers under the fat ribbon cable. Not sure what those do. I'll email Unicomp and see what they say.

apastuszak

06 Jul 2019, 22:51

Now I'm rocking! I'll post they key mappings when I have a moment. Hopefully, this will be useful to anyone else that buys one of these Unicomp M122 PS/2 terminal keyboards from the 2000s.

apastuszak

06 Jul 2019, 23:08

OK, here is what I have for codes:

Left set of function keys

Code: Select all

85  73
B3  ??
B4  71
46  C1
B5  70
Top function keys

B2  8C  B7  BD  68  66  6A  6B  6C  6D  6E  6F
3A  3B  3C  3D  3E  3F  40  41  42  43  44  45
Numpad

29  47  55  54
5F  60  61  57
5C  5D  5E  56
59  5A  5B  58
Nav Cluster

B0  4B  4E
4D  49  4C
50  4A  4F

And here is what I have written so far for my Soarer's Converter:

remapblock
	ESC				NUM_LOCK
	FAKE_01			INSERT
	PAGE_UP			HOME
	PAGE_DOWN		PAGE_UP
	END				DELETE
	INSERT			END
	DELETE			PAGE_DOWN
	HOME			DOWN
	F24				ESC
	EXTRA_PAD_PLUS	MEDIA_MUTE
	INTERNATIONAL_6	MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN
	EXTRA_F1		MEDIA_VOLUME_UP
	SCROLL_LOCK		PAD_SLASH
	PAD_SLASH		SCROLL_LOCK
	PAD_PLUS		PAD_MINUS
	PAD_MINUS		PAD_PLUS
endblock
NOTE: Once you pull the jumper, there is no num lock key on the keyboard. The only way to get it back is with key remapping. The Soarer's Converter is working great for this right now.

brainandforce

06 Jul 2019, 23:53

I have one of these boards as well, but it's manufactured for Affirmative. The key legends are a bit different on it though, and when I got it, it was sending unique scancodes. Here's what that board looks like:

One point that might be of interest is that Num Lock is accessible through Shift + Scroll Lock and appears to send its own unique scancode.

apastuszak

06 Jul 2019, 23:57

I think at this point, I am all set. But I'm curious if anyone knows what JP1, JP2 and JP3 do?

I learned that JP3 enables unique codes for each key on the keyboard. But it does move keys all over the place, which is kinda annoying. But it's better that leaving it there and having F13 be SHIFT+F1.

I'd really like to find out what JP1 and JP2 do.

apastuszak

06 Jul 2019, 23:58

brainandforce wrote:
I have one of these boards as well, but it's manufactured for Affirmative. The key legends are a bit different on it though, and when I got it, it was sending unique scancodes. Here's what that board looks like:

One point that might be of interest is that Num Lock is accessible through Shift + Scroll Lock and appears to send its own unique scancode.
Very nice M122! Does yours have jumpers inside by the lock lights? I'm curious what your jumpers are set at.

apastuszak

07 Jul 2019, 00:05

Just to add as much detail as possible, here is the rear sticker with and without flash:

brainandforce

07 Jul 2019, 02:31

apastuszak wrote:
brainandforce wrote:

Very nice M122! Does yours have jumpers inside by the lock lights? I'm curious what your jumpers are set at.
I actually can't tell you! I'm still waiting to get my 5.5 mm hex socket back...

You might want to consider sending Unicomp an email; they might be able to give you information about the jumper settings.

apastuszak

07 Jul 2019, 03:12

brainandforce wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 02:31
apastuszak wrote:
brainandforce wrote:

I actually can't tell you! I'm still waiting to get my 5.5 mm hex socket back...

You might want to consider sending Unicomp an email; they might be able to give you information about the jumper settings.
I opened a support ticket earlier today. Hopefully, they'll get back to me.

apastuszak

07 Jul 2019, 03:17

Updated sc file

remapblock
	ESC				NUM_LOCK
	FAKE_01			INSERT
	PAGE_UP			HOME
	PAGE_DOWN		PAGE_UP
	END				DELETE
	INSERT			END
	DELETE			PAGE_DOWN
	HOME			DOWN
	F24				ESC
	EXTRA_PAD_PLUS	MEDIA_MUTE
	INTERNATIONAL_6	MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN
	EXTRA_F1		MEDIA_VOLUME_UP
	SCROLL_LOCK		PAD_SLASH
	PAD_SLASH		SCROLL_LOCK
	PAD_PLUS		PAD_MINUS
	PAD_MINUS		PAD_PLUS
	EXTRA_BACKSLASH	LGUI
	F21				APP
	EXTRA_EUROPE_2	PRINTSCREEN
endblock
Bottom left key in the left F keys is now the Windows key. Bottom right is the App/Menu key. Middle left is Print Screen.

Going to need to order some keycaps from Unicomp soon...

apastuszak

26 Mar 2020, 17:59

Just to add to this thread. I got REALLY sick of accidentally hitting the less than/greater than symbol next to the left shift when I was trying to hit the left shift,so I just remapped it to Left Shift by adding this line:

EUROPE_2	LSHIFT

CryptoKid

24 Jul 2020, 23:54

Did you ever get reply from Unicomp about those jumpers?

apastuszak

25 Jul 2020, 02:52

Yes. They told me that the settings for the other jumpers would not be useful to me and didn't tell me what they were for. I tried to find the old ticket I had open with them, but it looks like their system deletes tickets so many days after they'ver been closed.

Return to “Keyboards”