Unpopular opinions thread

samuelcable

08 Jul 2019, 10:59

yuchipashe wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 10:56
The effort that we do in this hobby would've been put to a more productive and useful cause, rather than hoarding old computer peripherals that are either overpriced or dilapidated.
same could be said for most hobbies, its called having fun

yuchipashe

08 Jul 2019, 11:05

samuelcable wrote:
yuchipashe wrote:
The effort that we do in this hobby would've been put to a more productive and useful cause, rather than hoarding old computer peripherals that are either overpriced or dilapidated.
makes sense. fair enough hahaha

Chyros

08 Jul 2019, 11:12

samuelcable wrote:
yuchipashe wrote:
He's right though, I must have in excess of 2000 hours invested into making all these videos xD . FML!

yuchipashe

08 Jul 2019, 11:17

Chyros wrote:
samuelcable wrote:
yuchipashe wrote:
He's right though, I must have in excess of 2000 hours invested into making all these videos xD . FML!
Add that with the total watch time of all of your videos, I bet a huge portion of those are supposed to go to actual work. (I know this because I spend a portion of my work time watching keyboard videos, browsing the forums, and going through keyboard listings hahahahah)

Chyros

08 Jul 2019, 11:30

yuchipashe wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 11:17
Chyros wrote:
samuelcable wrote:

Add that with the total watch time of all of your videos, I bet a huge portion of those are supposed to go to actual work. (I know this because I spend a portion of my work time watching keyboard videos, browsing the forums, and going through keyboard listings hahahahah)
I deny everything! Image

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Jul 2019, 20:30

life's too short. respect others, do the fuck you want.

Findecanor

08 Jul 2019, 21:09

yuchipashe wrote:
All types of collecting have been accused of not being useful.
However, unlike many other collecting hobbies, at least one of each of our collectibles (or something made from them) are being used daily.
Also, the environmental movement does encourage just this: to buy, refurbish and use older things instead of throwing things away and buying new stuff.

Another aspect is that by having become knowledgeable of older input devices, their workings and ergonomics, we are maintaining old knowledge of what makes a good peripheral, that would otherwise be lost with the mainstream industry's focus on fads and the race to the bottom.
The large computer companies used to have teams of HMI experts, but there are now much fewer large companies that do any general R&D at all.
I am amazed by how fast the custom keyboard hobby is going right now. I can't keep track of all split ergo keyboard kits there are, and different ways to build keyboards.

yuchipashe

09 Jul 2019, 03:21

I've been collecting vintage hardware for a couple of years now, and for me it's fun and I like preaching to people how technologies evolved, which technology failed to capture people's attention and why the other succeeded even though it's less superior when it comes to its features (eg laserdisc vs vhs).
I'm even planning to document as much of the vintage japanese keyboards just for the fun of it since there isn't that much out there. But sometimes when I bid on things and spending most of my monthly income on keyboards and almost all of my free time browsing auction sites and keyboard forums, the thought just pops into my head.

I sometimes lose the fun for a couple of seconds and just wondered about the time lost. But it's fun, so it's all good hahaha.

Also, I believe that companies nowadays focus more on cheaper mass production (especially with HCI peripherals), with high cost revenue ratio. It's good since technology is getting cheaper than ever and more accessible, but that also means less of making good peripheral. What we need is that we need the general consumer public to see mechanical keyboards as not a gaming product or as a hobby, but as a good peripheral that makes their typing experience more enjoyable.

The people I talked to about who are still using cheap rubber dome keyboards see mech keebs as gamer rgb or overpriced hobby gears, but after some of them switched to decent keyboards they realize that they don't strain their hands often compared to the cheap rubber domes keebs they've been using. I guess if there is more demand for the general public then there would be more companies who would focus more on developing their HCI product. I can see that here in the Philippines with the Rakk keyboards, but it would be nice to see more mechanical keyboards focused on the general public.

samuelcable

09 Jul 2019, 04:02

circling tf logo is the best tf2 unusual effect

photekq
Cherry Picker

09 Jul 2019, 05:46

samuelcable wrote:
you need to leave right now

samuelcable

09 Jul 2019, 05:51

photekq wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 05:46
samuelcable wrote:
you need to leave right now
I kinda like the simpler effects more than the flashy ones, i used to own a green energy hat and i felt like a tryhard wearing it lol

Chyros

09 Jul 2019, 09:03

Team Fortress 2 and CS:GO both suck infinite ass. Hate, hate, hate!

(the TF2 Meet The videos were cool though)

purdobol

09 Jul 2019, 10:32

samuelcable wrote:
Kill-a-Watt Universal Translator + Australian gold Max Head was my go to.

All time favorite though is TS Summer Hat + TS Graybans.

yuchipashe

09 Jul 2019, 10:38

Chyros wrote:

:'(

samuelcable

09 Jul 2019, 10:46

Chyros wrote:

csgo is really boring,i feel like nothing ever interesting happens in the matches since you have to play so safely and be bound by the meta of what to buy ect, but i cant get bored of tf2 even when its dying. the gameplay feels really nice to me, unlike other games like the extremely bloated state of overwatch

Chyros

09 Jul 2019, 11:30

samuelcable wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 10:46
Chyros wrote:

csgo is really boring,i feel like nothing ever interesting happens in the matches since you have to play so safely and be bound by the meta of what to buy ect, but i cant get bored of tf2 even when its dying. the gameplay feels really nice to me, unlike other games like the extremely bloated state of overwatch
I can't stand the way the guns work in CS:GO, the fact that the guns never shoot where you're pointing always drives me nuts. I could unload ten magazines right at someone's face from 2 metres away and not a single shot would hit.

And yeah yeah, I know the first shot from the AK always goes dead centre, but it's a fucking first-person SHOOTER goddammit, not a first-person "ooh let's wait for the single shot timer to reset". Something similar also goes for TF2 which is one of the reasons I hate that game as well.

Used to enjoy Overwatch, but it got really boring after a while. I even stopped playing Siege recently. We need more good modern shooters dammit! :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Jul 2019, 13:00

I like Eye of the beholder...

katsu

09 Jul 2019, 21:49

Chyros wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 11:30
We need more good modern shooters dammit! :D
pray that Diabotical comes out good

vometia
irritant

10 Jul 2019, 07:28

andrewjoy wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 16:19
Four more years. MAGA!
Boris for PM!
On a personal level he seems quite affable, but politically... I dunno, he's too much of a lazy sod to be able to tell. I think he might be less nice than some people assume, but at the same time people focus on his numerous gaffes which are often at odds with a more positive voting record. I suspect we'll get That Other Guy though: Conservatives tend to be too, well, conservative for the amount of personality Boris has.
zrrion wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 05:14
If we're having a postcount++ thread I might as well get some sweet ++ out of it.
  • Cigarettes and used engine oil smell good
Unlit ones tend to smell nicer. Used engine oil I'm usually too busy trying to soap off my hands to notice, at least on the rare occasions I encounter it.
Engicoder wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 15:33
Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "US English" layout being supported by ASCII? ASCII predates pretty much any keyboard layout.
I was guessing just the US English thing in itself as opposed to UK English, things like " and @ being swapped over etc. Actually I'm sure I remember something from years back simply described as an "ANSI keyboard" as an off-the-shelf part for people who liked to build their own hardware, but I have no idea if it was any sort of official designation or just what people called it. I mean something that predates the PS/2 style by years.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Jul 2019, 07:48

minecraft is stupid and should die already

Chyros

10 Jul 2019, 09:02

matt3o wrote:
Hear, hear!

samuelcable

10 Jul 2019, 09:06

matt3o wrote:
I dont think its a bad game in terms of gameplay, but the internet as of late has been acting like it is gospel or something, i dont get why its popular again.

also notch is a complete cunt, so that doesnt help

PlacaFromHell

10 Jul 2019, 09:47

matt3o wrote:
I think the real problem is the community itself. When I was a kid I learned the basics of digital electronics in Minecraft :lol: The true cancer is the modern servers, all full of minigames and bullshit.

depletedvespene

10 Jul 2019, 14:23

matt3o wrote:
No. minecraft became stupid when certain people played up the "combat" factor and the "new administration" tried to give a "direction" to the game.

The basic concept (open-end sandbox game with virtual lego-like bricks on a large flatland with varying terrains) is still a fantastic one.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Jul 2019, 15:20

depletedvespene

10 Jul 2019, 15:33

kbdfr wrote:
Yawning with an uncovered mouth is unpopular as well, come to think of it. :mrgreen:

Findecanor

10 Jul 2019, 15:49

samuelcable wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 09:06
also notch is a complete cunt, so that doesnt help
He uses clicky keyboards such as Model M, so he can't be that bad, can he? ;)

Anyway, he has moved to living as a playboy on the millions he got from Microsoft, and Microsoft does not want him associated with the franchise.

BTW, I've known people who years before, (and in the same city even), did indy games with similar gameplay to Minecraft ... and then this upstart came along. I wonder how they really felt about that ...
Last edited by Findecanor on 10 Jul 2019, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Jul 2019, 16:45

depletedvespene wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 15:33
kbdfr wrote:
Yawning with an uncovered mouth is unpopular as well, come to think of it. :mrgreen:
Sure - it was simply my way of trying to get the thread back to topics :lol:

samuelcable

11 Jul 2019, 03:04

The ranking of topre in my opinion from my favorite to least favorite is

45g > 30g > 55g >>>> anything BKE

it seems that 55g is the most liked topre but i dont get it, id rather have 45g or 30g every time. no offense

Findecanor

11 Jul 2019, 03:28

55g Topre fans are just loud about it.

Return to “Off-topic”