Can't get some keys on Model F to stick to spring

rpgwaiter

12 Jul 2019, 08:20

So I just restored and converted a 122-key IBM Model F and I'm having trouble getting the Enter key (and a few other keys near it) to actually catch on the spring and register a keypress. The switch itself works, I can activate it with a pencil. I had no problems getting other keys to catch, and even when they fail, I can usually get it right on the second attempt. This enter key is driving me up the wall, does anyone have any advice?

By enter, I mean the return key. Or "Field Exit" in this case.

I attached the enter key in question in case there's some glaring problem I'm missing.
Attachments
20190712_011319.jpg
20190712_011319.jpg (3.61 MiB) Viewed 2261 times

Anakey

12 Jul 2019, 09:03

have you tried holding the board inverted (badge at the bottom) so that the spring is more central in the barrel when putting the key on?

PlacaFromHell

12 Jul 2019, 09:03

Try changing the angle of the keyboard or attach a different keycap before trying with the original one, this worked for me.

AJM

12 Jul 2019, 11:30

From my experience the best way to hold the keyboard - when putting on keys - is with the cable (if it comes out of the back) pointing downwards. Then the springs lean against the back of the barrels and the keys should catch them in the right way.

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Jul 2019, 14:15

"Second attempt" is not many, sometimes it takes half a dozen or more. And definitely tilt in different directions to make the spring flop around. The larger keys are much less maneuverable than singles.

rpgwaiter

12 Jul 2019, 23:26

I got it working, tilting the keyboard did the trick. Thanks guys.

SneakyRobb
THINK

13 Jul 2019, 00:15

rpgwaiter wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 23:26
I got it working, tilting the keyboard did the trick. Thanks guys.
excellent good job

Return to “Workshop”