IBM model F's tribute

dcopellino

29 Mar 2019, 16:54

Inspired by Webwit Models M overall image https://webwit.nl/input/ibm_misc/M/M-orig.jpg, I tried replicating the same thing for models F universe. How you can easily realize, it is a fake photomontage I hope it serves to convince WebWit to take a real picture of his gorgeous and huge model F collection. At least, I will be able to replace my sad photoshop outcome that make me feel a little bit dizzy by a perspective & proportion point of view. :lol: :shock:

models_F.jpg
models_F.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 8326 times
Last edited by dcopellino on 01 Jun 2019, 12:23, edited 3 times in total.

depletedvespene

29 Mar 2019, 17:25

Nice. I might just take a "family pic" of all my Model F and Model M keyboards and macropads, too.

dcopellino

29 Mar 2019, 17:31

depletedvespene wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 17:25
Nice. I might just take a "family pic" of all my Model F and Model M keyboards and macropads, too.
Unfortunately my F family is quite restricted, just an F122, an F AT and an XT. On the other hand, my M's is very extended though, :mrgreen:

darkcruix

29 Mar 2019, 19:02

Chyros has a great collection he showed in his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Jds326gks

I have a F107 and F122

keyboard Kultist

30 Mar 2019, 18:53

I'm using a model F XT at the office right now. As I mentioned to Chyros the other day I'm mainly a clicky guy but have branched some (I'm typing this on Fujitsu leaf springs) but coming back to the model F....man, it's hard to compete with the F :-)

darkcruix

30 Mar 2019, 19:42

keyboard Kultist wrote:
I'm using a model F XT at the office right now. As I mentioned to Chyros the other day I'm mainly a clicky guy but have branched some (I'm typing this on Fujitsu leaf springs) but coming back to the model F....man, it's hard to compete with the F :-)
I am so looking forward to the "New Model F". Having a travel Model F will be the ultimate thing for me :) At home I am using a Beam Spring as my primary (the size of the F107 or F122 is just too crazy). :)

dcopellino

30 Mar 2019, 21:14

After being a model M binge collector and user, I have lately discovered model F. My first approach with an F AT has been quite conflicting as the crispness and at same time the gorgeous clicky feeling struggles with an unripe key layout whose worst defect is doubtless the lack of the delete key. Fortunately, my recent purchase of an F122 from snacksthecat has definitely balanced my wish of doing click and clack with ping. However, thanks to a beamspring key ring, that is rumored to be made/belonged by orihalcon, new curiosities are awakening in me ...

Who knows... Maybe someday I'll sell my car for a beamspring to restore.

darkcruix

30 Mar 2019, 21:48

dcopellino wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 21:14
... Who knows... Maybe someday I'll sell my car for a beamspring to restore.
I have a Beamspring as my primary keyboard at the moment, but it took my quite some time (and money) to get it to the point where the layout is perfect for my daily use.
Spoiler:
IMG_8236.jpeg
IMG_8236.jpeg (852.75 KiB) Viewed 8268 times
Apart from the function, the look, key feel and sound is what is so attractive. For me, the Beamspring has several advantages to the F.
  • Wonderful Sound: As nice the clicky and vibrating sound of a F is, the Beamspring is so balanced and fluid
  • Haptic: The Beamspring has a unbelievable tactile bump at the exact right time, while pushing down the key is perfectly weighted. The F is crisp also, but the build up of the force is different.
  • The Look: If you are into retro as me and build quality, this thing is amazing
Apart from that, the Model F has the better size / height and a much more modern layout. Especially when looking at the F62 and F77, these boards are miles ahead. You get keycaps for it to adjust it to your needs and at the end of the day, the Model F is crazy good also, when you compare it to a cheap rubber dome or many of the colorful switches you find in other mechanical keyboards. ;)

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

31 Mar 2019, 13:27

darkcruix wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 21:48
I have a Beamspring as my primary keyboard at the moment, but it took my quite some time (and money) to get it to the point where the layout is perfect for my daily use.
Can you explain how you got the capacitive sensors calibrated? Was it difficult to do? How easy was it to use the software?

darkcruix

31 Mar 2019, 17:10

Wintermute1974 wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 13:27
Can you explain how you got the capacitive sensors calibrated? Was it difficult to do? How easy was it to use the software?
I used the xwhatsit controller and the software. Super simple to do if you follow the description in the PDF (http://downloads.cornall.co/ibm-capsens ... spring.pdf).
The voltage threshold should be started at around 130 and then, when only a few rows / single switches show up as pressed at all times, you select the rows that need to be turned off completely and the individual switches that show always on as PRESSED. Next do the auto calibrate and store everything in the "EPROM". Once done, you can assign the scan codes of the keys. It is simpler than it sounds.

dcopellino

31 Mar 2019, 22:29

Up, up, up..I can't stand seeing a model F thread down (I mean below) a rubber dome one on deskthority home page. Where are you models f enthusiasts? Which kind do you own? Why do we see so few F122s on sale on European market?

keyboard Kultist

01 Apr 2019, 00:15

darkcruix wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 19:42
keyboard Kultist wrote:
I am so looking forward to the "New Model F". Having a travel Model F will be the ultimate thing for me :) At home I am using a Beam Spring as my primary (the size of the F107 or F122 is just too crazy). :)
Thanks to Orihalcon I got a beamspring keyboard too. Things have turned so busy I haven't had time to use it much, but its great. :-) All hail Orihalcon!

dcopellino

30 Apr 2019, 13:43

Jake26 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 11:53
IBM SPSS Modeler is a leading visual data science and machine learning solution. Leading organizations worldwide rely on IBM SPSS Modeler for data discovery.
Strange the direction is taking this post. It started to be a Model F tribute, but very soon became a tribute to Beamsprings, now has a clear derive toward scientific calc? Coincidences :lol:

nelamvr6

29 May 2019, 10:36

Here's my daily driver, a Model F AT:

dcopellino

01 Jun 2019, 12:41

ML000215-2304x1728.JPG
ML000215-2304x1728.JPG (591.26 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
Here it's mime. It's not the usual before and after mod pic. It''s rather a sister act. I preferred to buy a second model F AT (thanks myoth) to find the courage to risk such an ardite mod.
The black keycaps set comes from an ibm model m13. I followed the very good YakMN tutorial even managing to find space for some improvement imho, like the introduction of two extra alts keys of 1.25X (from an XT) in order to not being forced to file the original top case of the keyboard, ad well as the fostering of a special soarer's layout config file i'll soon add to this post. As you can see from the pic there are some keys missing the right legend. So any donations hitherward will be appreciated.
ML000211-2304x1728.JPG
ML000211-2304x1728.JPG (583.52 KiB) Viewed 7448 times

Code: Select all

# AJM's AT layout (with some mods by Daco)

remapblock
FAKE_02	LALT	# extra pad lhs of space
FAKE_04	RALT	# extra pad rhs of space
FAKE_05	EUROPE_1	# extra pad lhs of enter
FAKE_06	BACKSLASH	# extra pad top of enter
FAKE_07	F11	# extra pad lhs of insert
LALT	LCTRL
INTERNATIONAL_2	EUROPE_2	# extra pad rhs of left shift
#INTERNATIONAL_1	F13	# extra pad lhs of right shift
F11	F14	# extra pad bottom of numpad +
BACK_QUOTE	ESC
PAD_ASTERIX	PAD_MINUS	
PAD_MINUS	PAD_PLUS
SCROLL_LOCK	PAD_SLASH
EXTRA_SYSRQ	PAD_ASTERIX
ESC	DELETE	

CAPS_LOCK	RCTRL
LCTRL	CAPS_LOCK
EXTRA_EUROPE_2	BACKSLASH # HASH KEY Next to enter
PAD_PLUS	PAD_ENTER
EXTRA_RALT	RALT
endblock

macroblock

macro 1 CTRL -SHIFT -ALT -GUI
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
    DELAY 5
    PRESS MEDIA_MUTE
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

macro 2 CTRL -SHIFT -ALT -GUI
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
    DELAY 5
    MAKE MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN
   onbreak
    BREAK MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

macro 3 CTRL -SHIFT -ALT -GUI
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
    DELAY 5
    MAKE MEDIA_VOLUME_UP
   onbreak
    BREAK MEDIA_VOLUME_UP
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

macro 4 CTRL -SHIFT -ALT -GUI
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
    DELAY 5
    PRESS MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

macro F9 CTRL
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META CTRL
    DELAY 5
    PRESS F11
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

macro F10 CTRL
    DELAY 5
    PRESS F12
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

macro ESC LSHIFT
    MAKE BACK_QUOTE
   onbreak
    BREAK BACK_QUOTE
  endmacro

macro ESC CTRL
    DELAY 5
    MAKE BACK_QUOTE
   onbreak
    BREAK BACK_QUOTE
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

macro ESC RSHIFT
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META RSHIFT
    SET_META RALT
    DELAY 5
    MAKE BACK_QUOTE
   onbreak
    BREAK BACK_QUOTE
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

endblock

karlmartin95

12 Jul 2019, 12:40

Nice, I have only 2 models F.

IBM Model F Bigfoot
IBM 4704 F77

I'm in the searching for the others!

Wazrach

12 Jul 2019, 12:58

I just landed myself with a super rare, but not necessarily super desirable, 4980 terminal Model F! It looks like an F122, but has split modifier keys and the only stabiliser is under the spacebar as a result. It has a short, stepped right shift, two return keys instead of an ISO Enter, 1U backspace and 20 keys on the numpad - some of which are relegendable caps like on 4704 keyboards. The PCB appears to be identical to a regular F122's, but the barrel frame does not have holes for stabiliser clips where they'd normally go on a regular F122.

The keyboard does not work with a Set 3 Soarer's converter, despite having the same cable as other F122s.

https://postimg.cc/18bR2vbC

dcopellino

12 Jul 2019, 15:48

How, what a great find I haven't never known the existence. Double returning keys and some others odds... Check it out my retrieves...@ https://www.dariocopellino.com/ibmkeybo ... oards.html
Last edited by dcopellino on 13 Jul 2019, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

dcopellino

12 Jul 2019, 15:51

karlmartin95 wrote:

IBM Model F Bigfoot
IBM 4704 F77

Oops, it seems there is the king among us... Gorgeous

SneakyRobb
THINK

12 Jul 2019, 16:24

karlmartin95 wrote:

IBM Model F Bigfoot
IBM 4704 F77

That flex thou

Myoth

12 Jul 2019, 16:33

dcopellino wrote:
models_F.jpg
I only notice it now, but that unsaver in the picture is not a Model F :lol:

subcat

12 Jul 2019, 16:35

and nor is the industrial xt

Myoth

12 Jul 2019, 16:40

and nor are those M50 :thinking:

dcopellino

12 Jul 2019, 17:43

Ahhh, What is it? a conjure?. I only needed some more pics to finish the overall picture... how fussy you are!! Ok the xt industrial has green Alps if i don't go wrong and the m50s should be replaced by 6019273s... But consider them as an artistic license. 😁

karlmartin95

12 Jul 2019, 17:45

dcopellino wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 15:51
karlmartin95 wrote:

IBM Model F Bigfoot
IBM 4704 F77

Oops, it seems there is the king among us... Gorgeous
Thanks, oh you are from Napoli.. my family came from there. Long live to Italy!

subcat

12 Jul 2019, 17:58

dcopellino wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 17:43
Ahhh, What is it? a conjure?. I only needed some more pics to finish the overall picture... how fussy you are!! Ok the xt industrial has green Alps if i don't go wrong and the m50s should be replaced by 6019273s... But consider them as an artistic license. 😁
the xt has oak membrane switches i believe

Wazrach

12 Jul 2019, 19:24

Why do those rubber dome Unsavers go for a small fortune...?

wobbled

12 Jul 2019, 23:11

Wazrach wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 19:24
Why do those rubber dome Unsavers go for a small fortune...?
Because people are retarded.

dcopellino

13 Jul 2019, 10:57

karlmartin95 wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 17:45

Thanks, oh you are from Napoli.. my family came from there. Long live to Italy!
Greetings from Naples. Let me know when you will be here, because you will come soon, won't you?

dcopellino

13 Jul 2019, 11:02

Myoth wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:33
dcopellino wrote:
models_F.jpg
I only notice it now, but that unsaver in the picture is not a Model F :lol:
Anyway, myoth, the unsaver in the pic, on the fifth row, with the red ESC key, should be an F, right?

Return to “Keyboards”