SneakyRobb
THINK

11 Jul 2019, 05:15

depletedvespene wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 14:23
matt3o wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 07:48
minecraft is stupid and should die already
No. minecraft became stupid when certain people played up the "combat" factor and the "new administration" tried to give a "direction" to the game.

The basic concept (open-end sandbox game with virtual lego-like bricks on a large flatland with varying terrains) is still a fantastic one.
The concept is good but its at one of those sort of stages where early adopters cannot recognize the original thing. Commercialization or mass appeal perhaps. Or even just art/direction changes. Not necessarily always bad but it is very very strange to experience with something you feel like you started with and thus have some "ownership."

I started playing DayZ when it was an arma mod, and now the concept of battleroyale is well into the fortnite and apex legends etc. These aren't necessarily bad games, but the sort of evolution from DayZ to games like fortnite for me was quite strange.

You could say the same about the original team fortress vs team fortress 2. If you showed TF2 to a TF player in the late 90s they might very well go like "what the actual hell..?"

I guess a good example would be keyboards. I go to reddit mechanical keyboards and I don't know what most of the things are. I don't use that as a badge of honour or some kind of OG Cred, that I don't "know." It should be a good thing that there are more options, newer production runs, designs, experiments etc in keyboards. Yet somehow it feels alien and "wrong."

This image illustrates what I mean in a nice way.
Spoiler:
pug wolf cake hat.jpg
pug wolf cake hat.jpg (80.75 KiB) Viewed 5499 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Jul 2019, 09:13

topre are not mechanical anyway

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2019, 11:28

They’re better than that.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Jul 2019, 11:54

Muirium wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 11:28
They’re better than that.
ah I lured you out finally! next move would have been targeting Apple

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2019, 15:26

There really isn’t much shit talking to be done about Apple’s keyboards these days. They’re as legitimately piss poor as Matias!

But I’m quite serious when I say Topre is *better* than mechanical keyboards for me. I prefer them to IBM, let alone Cherry and Alps. They’re a whole something else, a good something, even the caps. And cost accordingly!

I don’t know if that’s an unpopular opinion, but it rubs some up the wrong way, in a big way, for sure.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jul 2019, 10:12

Looks like there are quite a lot of threads by people seeking help because their IBM keyboards do not work properly.
No wonder when you simply follow the hype and buy high price but low quality stuff :mrgreen:

User101

12 Jul 2019, 11:42

kbdfr wrote:
Looks like there are quite a lot of threads by people seeking help because their IBM keyboards do not work properly.
No wonder when you simply follow the hype and buy high price but low quality stuff :mrgreen:
I think I probably shouldn't say this here since it's the unpopular opinion thread. But I own a bunch of IBM keyboards and all of them have pretty good quality and all works too...so I dont really know where you're coming from tbh.

samuelcable

12 Jul 2019, 11:44

User101 wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
I think I probably shouldn't say this here since it's the unpopular opinion thread. But I own a bunch of IBM keyboards and all of them have pretty good quality and all works too...so I dont really know where you're coming from tbh.
mostly model m's due to their badly designed rivets, or model f's with their degrading foam, they often need repair

User101

12 Jul 2019, 11:47

samuelcable wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 11:44
User101 wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
mostly model m's due to their badly designed rivets, or model f's with their degrading foam, they often need repair
You're right, but these are just the side product of being old, I dont neccesarily think they are that of "low quality"

Chyros

12 Jul 2019, 11:56

User101 wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
He likes keyboards that you need a degree in IT for to be able to get them working ;p .

Both Ms and Fs of course have their weaknesses.... but I wouldn't say low quality is one of them :D .

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Jul 2019, 12:36

can I retitle this "Old man shouts at cloud"?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jul 2019, 13:04

:lol: Well, this is the "unpopular opinions thread", right? :lol:

Edit: where are the "my Cherry keyboard ceased working properly" threads? :mrgreen:

purdobol

12 Jul 2019, 13:38

I know you're just having fun... but ;)
Spoiler:
They not really "IBM keyboard ceased working properly" threads are they?
More like "I can't get it to work cause weird protocol" or "was cleaning the caps, and can't put it back together".

Anakey

12 Jul 2019, 13:39

kbdfr wrote:
Edit: where are the "my Cherry keyboard ceased working properly" threads? :mrgreen:
cherry are not worth the effort to fix, i mean if they were i doubt Wodan would keep finding them at the recycling center

Chyros

12 Jul 2019, 13:58

Anakey wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
cherry are not worth the effort to fix, i mean if they were i doubt Wodan would keep finding them at the recycling center
:lol: :lol:

subcat

12 Jul 2019, 15:49

Anakey wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
except all of them work instantly :lol: :lol:

peep the model ms he finds, they have so many broken rivets bouncing around in the case you could use them as maracas

samuelcable

12 Jul 2019, 15:57

Anakey wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
same could be said about model m's depending on who you are.
(photo credit cindy)
trash2.jpg
trash2.jpg (189.84 KiB) Viewed 5177 times

samuelcable

12 Jul 2019, 15:58

also we should probably change topic before it turns into another cherry hate thread

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 16:06

kbdfr wrote:
Now, now, this is a thread for unpopular opinions, not about specious arguments... :roll:

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 16:08

matt3o wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 12:36
can I retitle this "Old man shouts at cloud"?
You could, but that image has lost its power after being overused so much (I also hate the Simpsons, but that's another issue).

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 16:09

kbdfr wrote:
:lol: Well, this is the "unpopular opinions thread", right? :lol:

Buried all the way below the "How do I harvest them switches" threads and the unending discussions of "which" vintage blacks are best. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 16:10

samuelcable wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 15:58
also we should probably change topic before it turns into another cherry hate thread
Fine. Let's all bash the Alps keyboards!

And the 1U Backspace key on BAE keyboards. That we all can agree on... oh, wait, that wouldn't be an unpopular opinion. :!: :mrgreen:

User101

12 Jul 2019, 16:12

Chyros wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 11:56
User101 wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
He likes keyboards that you need a degree in IT for to be able to get them working ;p .

Both Ms and Fs of course have their weaknesses.... but I wouldn't say low quality is one of them :D .
Exactly. I would categorize them as "bad design" and not "bad quality"

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 16:14

Ok, it's time for an unpopular opinion:

The backspace icon should never have been an arrow, considering all other arrows in the keyboard indicate movement. The ⌫ symbol (and ⌦ for the Delete key) from the typewriter era should have been retained, and that would have led us to live in a slightly happier world.

User101

12 Jul 2019, 16:17

depletedvespene wrote:

The backspace icon should never have been an arrow, considering all other arrows in the keyboard indicate movement. The ⌫ symbol (and ⌦ for the Delete key) from the typewriter era should have been retained, and that would have led us to live in a slightly happier world.
Is that really an unpopular opinion? I mean I agree with it 290% and I guess many others will be the same?

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 16:21

User101 wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:17
depletedvespene wrote:

Is that really an unpopular opinion? I mean I agree with it 290% and I guess many others will be the same?
AFAICT, it's an unpopular opinion. But if I'm wrong about this, I'll be really delighted to find that's indeed the case! :)

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2019, 16:27

Consider it popular with me. Arrows mean movement.

1980s Apple used to get it half right:

Spot the entirely correct (forward) Delete symbol. And then shake your head at the entirely incorrect labelling of Backspace!

They were still at it on the AEK II (now including physical ISO) and even Mac OS X at least used to feature the correct symbols in menu shortcuts. Think it may even still do.

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 16:39

Muirium wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:27
Consider it popular with me. Arrows mean movement.

1980s Apple used to get it half right:

Spot the entirely correct (forward) Delete symbol. And then shake your head at the entirely incorrect labelling of Backspace!

They were still at it on the AEK II (now including physical ISO) and even Mac OS X at least used to feature the correct symbols in menu shortcuts. Think it may even still do.
Indeed. And note the mixture of legends and icons as well (something that is ripe for endless discussions on the ICs over at GH when it comes to choose legends, icons or both).

I wish that the layout designers back in the '80s would have taken the time to specify a proper standard for icons on all the non-alphas, independent of the national languages - much like the traffic symbols, that are (mostly) standardized everywhere in the world and therefore readable to (mostly) everyone with a driver's license.

So, on one hand, every keyboard in the world would have ⌫, ⌦, ⇞, and ⇟ (etc.) keys. OTOH, the Fine key wouldn't exist.

purdobol

12 Jul 2019, 16:44

depletedvespene wrote:
True. Would add to that double action switches that were prevalent in typewriter era.
So in case of a backspace key:
1st actuation - deletes one char
1st actuation and hold - deletes chars at steady pace
2nd actuation - deletes word
2nd actuation and hold - destroys the whole line muahahaha

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2019, 16:46

Yup. Correct answer: icon mods, always.

Granite is still, legend for legend, my absolute favourite set.

Return to “Off-topic”