First keyboard for neophyte

Kashtan

02 Jul 2019, 18:20

Hi to all.
My Chief purchase mechanical keyboard, most cheaper as possible from chinese, $37, i try typing and is a feeling awesome.
I thought this time to purchase mechanical keyboard for me, but much much better quality.
I ask to experienced users, which mechanical keyboards need try for nub, after the experience of using I must said "WOW"!
I am think for me most important,
firstly - switches, and next - overall quality build of keyboard.
Im not typical typer, but work on desktop sitted over 12 hours on day.
I think about
Leopold, im read is a best construction,
and IBM model F XT with capacitive buckling spring.

Also i see on
model f keyboard kishsaver,
typewriter 68,
corsair k70 low profile rapidfire ( i know this bargain on construction, but switches here is proprietary low profile, very interested on all reviews).
Please yours opinion - guru of keyboard's.
Thanks to all.

CountNoctua

04 Jul 2019, 08:39

I do a lot of typing like you, both at work and at home, and to me the best fit (even though I appreciate the clickier, higher actuation force switches, too) are tactiles and moderate (not too loud) clicky switch keyboards that "teach" you to type in a more relaxed fashion. For me, that means my current favorites are 2nd Gen SMK (aka Montereys), Alps (various), and Topre switches. Also MX Clears because despite them being relatively heavy, they encourage you not to bottom out (though some people never quite adapt to them properly, I find them almost ergonomic, without having to resort to true, funky ergonomic layouts).

Topre is a divisive switch type because of the high pricing of Topre boards (some enthusiasts are especially galled because they are rubber domes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but leads to derision from those who think this disqualifies them from being mechanical), but I think most people who do a heavy amount of typing can at least appreciate them, if not personally be able to justify the cost. Topres (45g, in Realforce RGB) are by far the least fatiguing switches I've used.

I still consider myself fairly new to mechanical keyboards, though, because while I got my first mech keyboard almost a decade ago I only really started picking up a bunch of boards and trying out various switches about a year ago. So I'd defer to others with more experience, but those are my current leanings.

As far as build construction, modern keyboards are a mixed bag, but you generally get what you pay for unless you go custom. I've seen consensus around Leopold (don't have one myself) and Filco (have owned one, a Majestouch, was great) keyboards. The Corsairs I've owned have actually been decent for mass-market gaming keyboards... no issues with build quality or durability. But some heavier, older designs like IBM boards or Zenith (currently trying to get SKCM Green Alps Zenith myself) are time tested over decades and built like tanks, so if you do favor rock-solid build quality you may want something from a prior era, or a revived keyboard like a new Model F.

cli

04 Jul 2019, 11:55

An 1985 IBM Model M silver badge is my current favourite, I type fast on it and it's built like a tank. The clear crisp click and nice keystroke makes it better than later Model M and Unicomp keyboards.

Kashtan

13 Jul 2019, 08:37

Thanks to all.
If compare with modern full brass keyboards, what is better on quality, IBM old school?

Anakey

13 Jul 2019, 09:55

well that is like comparing a Farrari from 30 years ago and one from today they are both of high quality but it depends what you want from a board, with IBM you are locked to switch, keycaps and layout compared to what you can get today, on the other hand the IBM keyboard is going to be more reliable and far easier to repair or get replacdements compared to a limited run gb board with unique pcb that is going to be in limited supply and not eassy to replace should it get fried

cli

13 Jul 2019, 10:14

Kashtan wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 08:37
Thanks to all.
If compare with modern full brass keyboards, what is better on quality, IBM old school?

I have a two year old Unicomp and a 1986 IBM Model M, the IBM Model M is a lot better. Vintage IBM keyboards are built like a tank, if they look good, you can buy these without hesitations. Some cleaning, foam replacement (IBM Model F) or bolt mod (IBM Model M). The bolt mod is not always needed, mine looks ok.

Clicky ALPS keyboards are very nice, but you must find a good copy that has not been used a lot. Lot of ALPS keyboards on Ebay are crap, bad condition, used heavily, ridiculous high price.

cli

13 Jul 2019, 10:23

.. BTW, mine main workhorse is an IBM Model F AT 1985. It took me few days to train my muscle memory, but now I'm used to the keyboard layout I love it very much.

Return to “Keyboards”