Help with flashing Soarer's converter

Wazrach

13 Jul 2019, 11:36

Hi guys, I'm trying to get my 4980 Model F to work with my Orihalcon 240° 5-pin DIN to USB Set 3 converter, as it does not output any scancodes. When I open hid_listen, it says the Keyboard ID is 0000, running code Set 1 and set to PC/XT mode. I get R05 and R06. I have included a picture for reference.

I tried to force change the protocol to Set 3 with "force set3" but it changes it to AT/PS2, unknown protocol and gives me even more error codes. I think this is just a problem with the command itself, because I accidentally flashed my XT/AT Soarer's converter (which I am using with my XT Model F) and could not revert back to Set 1, even with "force set1". I had to run legacy.sc to revert back to default.

What am I doing wrong? I'm convinced this is the solution to the keyboard not working, as it uses the same 240° din plug as other F122s but hid_listen states it's using Set 1. I played around with the two jumpers on the controller, putting them next to each other 8 pins in - just like on a regular F122 I saw. I also tested without jumpers, nothing seems to work.

I was lucky enough to receive help from another user pretty much all day yesterday, but we didn't really find a solution to this. Maybe someone else will know what's up. It's a pity I can't reach out to the other two people who also bought this keyboard, as there were three on Ebay that all sold in a day. Wonder if theirs are working alright.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
hid_listen.PNG
hid_listen.PNG (3.97 KiB) Viewed 3385 times

purdobol

13 Jul 2019, 12:16

R05 - timeout - started receiving clock from the board, but didn't receive enough for a full code
R06 - start bit - read a start bit, but it was incorrect

Come to think of it maybe it's a busted cable. Do you have multimeter by any chance?
Checking continuity and pinout may help.

Wazrach

13 Jul 2019, 12:21

purdobol wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 12:16
R05 - timeout - started receiving clock from the board, but didn't receive enough for a full code
R06 - start bit - read a start bit, but it was incorrect

Come to think of it maybe it's a busted cable. Do you have multimeter by any chance?
Checking continuity and pinout may help.
If you mean the condition of the cable, it's in beautiful condition. Practically like new. It doesn't match up with the state of the foam and the corrosion on the barrel frame... https://postimg.cc/rz9msCts

Are the problems not a result of the Set 1 protocol?

Wazrach

13 Jul 2019, 12:24

I believe I tried my M122 cable as well, that didn't work.

purdobol

13 Jul 2019, 12:37

I give up. Have no clue what's wrong. Either it's:
1. Busted wiring (data - clock cables swapped)
2. Busted chip on the controller or some part of the controller board.
3. Some exotic protocol which I seriously doubt. IBM was all about standardization and compatibility.

Wazrach

13 Jul 2019, 12:45

purdobol wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 12:37
I give up. Have no clue what's wrong. Either it's:
1. Busted wiring (data - clock cables swapped)
2. Busted chip on the controller or some part of the controller board.
3. Some exotic protocol which I seriously doubt. IBM was all about standardization and compatibility.
Thanks for your help, regardless. I'm going to wait a bit longer and see if anyone knows what the issue is. If nobody knows, then I'll just have to get an XWhatsit.

But before that, I need to figure out why the force protocol command won't work.

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2019, 12:58

You do know that Soarer’s Converter resets every time you write a config? So you need that force command at the top of whatever else you’re doing.

I’m guessing you’re just going with that one command here anyway.

Wazrach

13 Jul 2019, 13:06

Muirium wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 12:58
You do know that Soarer’s Converter resets every time you write a config? So you need that force command at the top of whatever else you’re doing.

I’m guessing you’re just going with that one command here anyway.
I'm literally just dragging an .sc file with "force set3" into scaswr.bat

Wazrach

13 Jul 2019, 14:35

Is that what I'm supposed to do?

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2019, 15:47

Try running scas separately. You might be achieving nothing due to an error the batch file obscures.

(Bear in mind the last .bat file I ran was in the 1980s though!)

Wazrach

13 Jul 2019, 15:52

Muirium wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 15:47
Try running scas separately. You might be achieving nothing due to an error the batch file obscures.

(Bear in mind the last .bat file I ran was in the 1980s though!)
Thanks for the tip, but what do you mean? Scaswr.bat is obviously working, because I can restore the settings to default with legacy.sc

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2019, 15:58

It works with lagacy.sc but maybe it’s choking on yours. I honestly don’t know what .bat files do with error messages. But I know scas and it’ll tell you when you’re doing it wrong.

Wazrach

13 Jul 2019, 16:04

Muirium wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 15:58
It works with lagacy.sc but maybe it’s choking on yours. I honestly don’t know what .bat files do with error messages. But I know scas and it’ll tell you when you’re doing it wrong.
Nah, I don't get any errors.

Such a shame this isn't working, I feel like I'm so close to the solution...

Wazrach

14 Jul 2019, 13:53

Okay, so it's not the protocol that's the issue. When I plug in just the Set 3 converter and no keyboard, it's set to PC/XT and Set 1 until a keyboard is detected. I get an R05 error when I plug in the Battleship, so I need to try and figure out what the issue is.

Is it possible it's making use of the Reset pin like the Zenith Z-150 and Leading Edge DC-2014? Or is the controller just dead? It looks like the keyboard has been bashed, as some parts of the case at the back have broken off and the two "tube feet" that support the assembly in the metal pan have been badly damaged. There are no scratches anywhere, though.

Again, such a shame I can't contact the other two buyers somehow and ask them if they are experiencing similar issues.

Return to “Keyboards”