SOLVED: Beamspring 3101 controller won't slide off

kmnov2017

13 Jul 2019, 20:17

I just can't slide the controller off my beamspring.The condition is pristine Including the foam, but the controller just won't slide off. Any suggestions?
IMG_20190713_151703.jpg
IMG_20190713_151703.jpg (3.91 MiB) Viewed 5708 times
Last edited by kmnov2017 on 16 Jul 2019, 23:29, edited 3 times in total.

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2019, 20:23

They can be quite stiff. Easy does it, each side in turns. They’ve been mated for decades, remember. Separation is quite the upheaval.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

13 Jul 2019, 20:30

Wow you're not kidding, that thing looks great.

kmnov2017

13 Jul 2019, 20:36

The peculiar thing is that one of the space-bar switches is missing a fly plate.
Last edited by kmnov2017 on 16 Jul 2019, 23:41, edited 4 times in total.

kmnov2017

Muirium wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 20:23
They can be quite stiff. Easy does it, each side in turns. They’ve been mated for decades, remember. Separation is quite the upheaval.
Tried that several times, it wouldn't budge. Any other ideas ?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

13 Jul 2019, 20:49

kmnov2017 wrote:
The keyboard has clearly been serviced, but they forgot to fix the flyplate and for whatever reason removed and didn't replace the flyplate...
I think it's supposed to be like that, no? I thought the spacebar had one functional switch and one dummy switch to act as a stabilizer.

kmnov2017

13 Jul 2019, 21:02

That does make sense, I don't see why two switches should trigger the space-bar.

Now some help me with more ideas on how to get the controller off please ....

Lanrefni

13 Jul 2019, 23:49

Clamp the pcb down and gently tap the edge of the connector on each side with a soft plastic tool and a hammer maybe?

darkcruix

14 Jul 2019, 10:56

I'd use mineral oil and drip it into the connector of the controller (use a syringe if you have one at hand). Shake it from time to time and let it sit for a few hours. I bet some of the contacts are corroded and it just takes some force to get them off.

kmnov2017

14 Jul 2019, 11:59

Lanrefni wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 23:49
Clamp the pcb down and gently tap the edge of the connector on each side with a soft plastic tool and a hammer maybe?
Tried that. Maybe I am being too fragile, but the edge connector didn't budge even one bit....

kmnov2017

14 Jul 2019, 13:03

darkcruix wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 10:56
I'd use mineral oil and drip it into the connector of the controller (use a syringe if you have one at hand). Shake it from time to time and let it sit for a few hours. I bet some of the contacts are corroded and it just takes some force to get them off.
I have WD40, but I've heard it can disintegrate plastic. Not sure what I should do ?

andrewjoy

14 Jul 2019, 13:43

Try spraying a bit of contact cleaner in there , it could be corroded .

SneakyRobb
THINK

14 Jul 2019, 15:26

kmnov2017 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 21:02
That does make sense, I don't see why two switches should trigger the space-bar.

Now some help me with more ideas on how to get the controller off please ....

The spacebar uses only one switch but it has 2 sliders. The other slider never had a foot, which means every beamspring keyboard basically comes with 1 completely unused beamspring.

Now I wouldn't really say the beamsprings wear out, but you might consider swapping that slider with the other spacebar one.

andrewjoy wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 13:43
Try spraying a bit of contact cleaner in there , it could be corroded .
I would do this, if its corroded they could be stuck together and when you pull it could rip up the contacts

User101

14 Jul 2019, 16:48

SneakyRobb wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 15:26

Now I wouldn't really say the beamsprings wear out, but you might consider swapping that slider with the other spacebar one.
I'm not sure about the beams themselves, but these switches in whole do wear out. I have a pretty heavily used beamspring 3278 as my daily driver and the heavily used keys(can see by the shine on caps. No texture left whatsoever...)have different characteristics when compared to those basically unused.

Those with less use have one very sharp and clear click, you know what I'm saying , but those heavily used have a bunch of more soft and less pronounce click combined into one less satisfying click. All concentrated together. I dont know how to describe that feeling. It's like dropping glass bottles. The better ones are like dropping one big bottle and the worse ones are dropping a bunch of smaller bottle and they hit the floor at the same time. Hope I'm conveying my visuals here.(probably not)

Now this is only apparent when you are pressing very gently and slowly. Usually theres no different when just typing at normal speed. And yes I did check the spring to make sure there's nothing wrong with them.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

14 Jul 2019, 18:08

User101 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:48
I'm not sure about the beams themselves, but these switches in whole do wear out. I have a pretty heavily used beamspring 3278 as my daily driver and the heavily used keys(can see by the shine on caps. No texture left whatsoever...)have different characteristics when compared to those basically unused.

Those with less use have one very sharp and clear click, you know what I'm saying , but those heavily used have a bunch of more soft and less pronounce click combined into one less satisfying click. All concentrated together. I dont know how to describe that feeling. It's like dropping glass bottles. The better ones are like dropping one big bottle and the worse ones are dropping a bunch of smaller bottle and they hit the floor at the same time. Hope I'm conveying my visuals here.(probably not)

Now this is only apparent when you are pressing very gently and slowly. Usually theres no different when just typing at normal speed. And yes I did check the spring to make sure there's nothing wrong with them.
It could just be the fly plate getting bent out of shape. Though, I'm not sure if that's realistic. In any case, I mention it because it's something that you can easily adjust.

viewtopic.php?p=445433#p445433

kmnov2017

14 Jul 2019, 18:28

I can confirm that all the keys feel and sound the same on my beamspring.

Also I didn't any notice any rust anywhere on the keyboard.

All the springs, the metal stems, the body is absolutely flawless.

I checked the connector closely, there doesn't appear to be any corrosion. It's highly unlikely that the connectors will be the only part to have corrosion.

I've been going at it for the past hour with a hammer, still no luck.

Now I am contemplating the below:

1. Solder out the edge connector from the original controller board

2. Leave the controller as is, and solder in a CY8CKIT-059 directly on to the back of the edge connector (where the pins are exposed)

What do you guys think.

I am not too sure if pouring oil into the connector is a good idea....?

Did anyone else have a stuff connector before ?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

14 Jul 2019, 18:47

kmnov2017 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:28
Now I am contemplating the below:

1. Solder out the edge connector from the original controller board

2. Leave the controller as is, and solder in a CY8CKIT-059 directly on to the back of the edge connector (where the pins are exposed)
That's actually not a bad idea if it really won't budge. The modern stand-ins for that same connector part never quite fit correctly. And since yours it stuck anyways, you can be sure it's not going to move on you!

adamcobabe

14 Jul 2019, 19:13

Maybe use some isopropyl alcohol instead of oil.

darkcruix

15 Jul 2019, 09:50

I checked my controller boards and the connectors and I believe the only thing that can cause this is corrosion. There is no screw etc. As you have said ... there is no corrosion anywhere else on the board, it is very odd.
I wouldn't use the original connector, as it is super hard to solder to the XWhatsit PCB. Maybe breaking the plastic of the top off would help (if done carefully).
IMG_8621.JPG
IMG_8621.JPG (335.01 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
IMG_8622.JPG
IMG_8622.JPG (88.12 KiB) Viewed 5330 times

kmnov2017

15 Jul 2019, 16:36

So in the end I just use a long screwdriver to act as a lever between the edge connector and the PCB and pushed it out. It took quite a bit of force but it eventually came loose and I was able to get it off!!!
Last edited by kmnov2017 on 16 Jul 2019, 23:28, edited 4 times in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

15 Jul 2019, 16:47

kmnov2017 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 16:36
As expected, there's no corrosion....
I guess the parts had just been together so long that they got stuck together. You just broke up a 40 year marriage!

darkcruix

15 Jul 2019, 19:21

Looks like a 3278 PCB with a notch - looks great. Do you have a Num-Pad as well?

User101

15 Jul 2019, 19:27

Interesting. I see holes on the pins which does not exist on mine.

User101

15 Jul 2019, 19:32

snacksthecat wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:08
It could just be the fly plate getting bent out of shape. Though, I'm not sure if that's realistic. In any case, I mention it because it's something that you can easily adjust.

viewtopic.php?p=445433#p445433
Yeah I did saw that but i am not sure that's the case with mine since i disassembled all switches for cleaning and reassemble them randomly. However, I will check on that when i got home and will probably make a thread about it.

andrewjoy

16 Jul 2019, 15:31

darkcruix wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:50
I checked my controller boards and the connectors and I believe the only thing that can cause this is corrosion. There is no screw etc. As you have said ... there is no corrosion anywhere else on the board, it is very odd.
I wouldn't use the original connector, as it is super hard to solder to the XWhatsit PCB. Maybe breaking the plastic of the top off would help (if done carefully).

IMG_8621.JPG

IMG_8622.JPG
You can buy new edge connectors that will fit , its a standard size.

When your using the replacement controller make sure its grounded properly , interesting failures cccccaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn result from bad grounding :D. ( if you know what i mean , hint hint :D)

2ter

16 Jul 2019, 22:40

Did you buy this from a seller from Austria?

Return to “Workshop”