Input Club Beamspring-like? new board

xicanoink

16 Jul 2019, 19:39

Anyone have an Input Club board?

Are they legit?

What do you guys think about their claims that their new one is Beamspring-like?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/le ... wards_page

Weezer

16 Jul 2019, 20:12

Well judging on how there doesnt actually look to be a beamspring in there, without trying it I would say it's definitely unlegit
Last edited by Weezer on 11 Feb 2020, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.

purdobol

16 Jul 2019, 20:25

https://plot.ly/~haata/638
https://plot.ly/~haata/196

Me like sharp tactility of plate spring designs.

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Jul 2019, 20:42

"A half press for lower case a, a full press for upper case."

yEah, gOOD lUck wITh thAT!

Chyros

16 Jul 2019, 21:19

The beamspring switches will come in the future, it says. Seems like a very interesting board! :D

Weezer

16 Jul 2019, 21:49

Chyros wrote:
The beamspring switches will come in the future, it says. Seems like a very interesting board! :D
Oh yeah, I guess so. I guess I'm still a bit dubious of a kickstarter project where you cant actually see or test or see someone review the product.

Speaking of which, I'm sure you get this a lot but big fan of yours! Your videos got me interested in keyboards, and now I use a model F 122 daily at my computer.

SneakyRobb
THINK

16 Jul 2019, 21:59

Weezer wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Oh yeah, I guess so. I guess I'm still a bit dubious of a kickstarter project where you cant actually see or test or see someone review the product.

Speaking of which, I'm sure you get this a lot but big fan of yours! Your videos got me interested in keyboards, and now I use a model F 122 daily at my computer.
It might actually be better when they say they will roll out the different variants over time. Offering too many products all at once is very hard and complicated.

I would trust a lot more kickstarters if they just said "I am offering 1 single product and if I get good sales I could make more types later on"

I do find it funny that they claim a billion key press reliability based on the most reliable component. By the same standard the contactless topre board could also be a billion key presses, but obviously marketing is marketing

Chyros

16 Jul 2019, 23:04

Weezer wrote:
Chyros wrote:

Noice! :D If you can tolerate the size, the battleship is one of the best keyboards around IMO! :D
SneakyRobb wrote:
Weezer wrote:
Chyros wrote:

It might actually be better when they say they will roll out the different variants over time. Offering too many products all at once is very hard and complicated.

I would trust a lot more kickstarters if they just said "I am offering 1 single product and if I get good sales I could make more types later on"

I do find it funny that they claim a billion key press reliability based on the most reliable component. By the same standard the contactless topre board could also be a billion key presses, but obviously marketing is marketing
That estimate could actually be called conservative. Honeywell tested their Hall effect switches to 30 billion!

abrahamstechnology

16 Jul 2019, 23:11

Why do all modern fullsize mechs look the same? And all use that awful font keycap set?

purdobol

16 Jul 2019, 23:16

Chyros wrote:
[That estimate could actually be called conservative. Honeywell tested their Hall effect switches to 30 billion!
I'm wondering, how it will perform in noisy environment though. Especially if it's supposed to have analog readings.
So many stuff can cause interference nowadays (cheap led light bulbs, routers).

SneakyRobb
THINK

16 Jul 2019, 23:55

Spoiler:
Chyros wrote:
Weezer wrote:
Chyros wrote:

Noice! :D If you can tolerate the size, the battleship is one of the best keyboards around IMO! :D
SneakyRobb wrote:
Weezer wrote:

That estimate could actually be called conservative. Honeywell tested their Hall effect switches to 30 billion!
Ah makes sense. When they say they last 30 billion how did they test this? Surely if I made a hall effect switch with low quality and poorly fitted plastic it might break quickly. So was 30 billion just for the sensor?

I say this because I can see a sensor like that lasting that long, but all the plastic parts?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Jul 2019, 00:10

30 billion keypresses OR a weekend in my workshop (and by “workshop” I mean “apartment”)

Seriously, go read my Univac Micro Switch thread. I think I’ve destroyed those things with my stupidity in every way possible.

They may be contactless beasts who can put up big reps but man do they want to be treated a particular way.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Jul 2019, 03:58

Um? Search around for prior discussions of this topic here, even former postings by me.

I know the creators personally. I know the switch manufacturer personally. This is a real thing. I've just ordered two. This is the most exciting keyboard development of the year.

Findecanor

17 Jul 2019, 08:01

xicanoink wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 19:39
Anyone have an Input Club board?

Are they legit?
They designed the K-Type, Infinity ErgoDox (specifically the Infinity, not other ErgoDoxen), the Halo switches and the Hako switches. Matt3o (who also manages this site) has been cooperating with them also on the well-known WhiteFox keyboard. By all means, you can look around for info on them, and not just here. There are several articles on Tom's Hardware, for instance.

BTW. Apparently, most of the problems with the K-Type were with (Mass)Drop who had chosen bad off-the-shelf stabilisers, financed the tooling and held on to some of the intellectual property (the latter which allowed Drop to re-release it later as the "CTRL" with another colour scheme)
Weezer wrote:
At least on Kickstarter you can be sure that if there is a picture of something on Kickstarter, it does exist as a prototype. Kickstarter does not allow anything to exist merely as a mock-up.
Last edited by Findecanor on 17 Jul 2019, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jul 2019, 10:51

I should get a bag of these switches soon, I'll report back as soon as I get them (but I believe they are still considered "beta")

andrewjoy

17 Jul 2019, 12:03

The switch looks cool but just keep in mind that a kickstarter is not a pre-order its a donation / pledge with a "reward".

Now input club has been around for years and chances are it will be fine, but its something to keep in mind.

Chyros

17 Jul 2019, 12:12

XMIT wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 03:58
Um? Search around for prior discussions of this topic here, even former postings by me.

I know the creators personally. I know the switch manufacturer personally. This is a real thing. I've just ordered two. This is the most exciting keyboard development of the year.
I agree - this is not some stupid mega company that's jus trying to get a quick buck off some buzzwords, these are real people who know what they're talking about. I'm expecting great things! :D

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Jul 2019, 13:34

Jacob, or HaaTa, the creator of these boards, was quite active here for a while. He then decided to focus on manufacturing rather than posting.

search.php?author=haata

Muirium
µ

17 Jul 2019, 18:09

This could well be a milestone keyboard. Pity it's as conservatively designed in the looks department as it is audacious under the hood…

Those caps are not doing it for me. Fortunately, they're optional: bring your own MX mount.

As for the switches, well they're the draw. If it was anyone but Haata, I'd be deeply suspicious about comparisons with beamspring, too. But he's a world class obsessive. Let's see what our own, Matteo, makes of them in hand.

Something to bear in mind about the switches is that, from what I can see, they look to be easily removed passive modules which sit on top of a magnetic sensor. So they won't work any place else but this keyboard. Don't confuse them for something like all those MX clones which you could swap into another board. They're more like Topre housings: modular but nothing without their underlying PCB. You can play with one, and get its feel, but that's all they're good for outside the board.

Anyway, I'm too strapped for cash to get in on this. If I were getting one, I'd go for the TKL with linears and a side of "beamspring" clickies. Forget about the caps, I'd use my own.

zslane

17 Jul 2019, 19:15

I jumped into the Kickstarter for one of the full-size boards and a side of Silo beamspringers. It'll be a year (probably longer, since no project with any ambitions comes in on schedule) before I get to use it and decide if it will supplant my Realforce RGB. But that gives me something to look forward to in 2020, I guess.

SneakyRobb
THINK

17 Jul 2019, 21:47

The switch does look cool
Last edited by SneakyRobb on 18 Jul 2019, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

SneakyRobb
THINK

18 Jul 2019, 04:16

I am excited about this
Last edited by SneakyRobb on 18 Jul 2019, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.

CarpCharacin

18 Jul 2019, 05:15

Input club is legit. I hope the switches feel like IBM beamsprings.

Elrick

18 Jul 2019, 05:26

zslane wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 19:15
I jumped into the Kickstarter for one of the full-size boards and a side of Silo beamspringers. It'll be a year (probably longer, since no project with any ambitions comes in on schedule) before I get to use it and decide if it will supplant my Realforce RGB. But that gives me something to look forward to in 2020, I guess.
Remembered YEARS ago investing into an F77 that still has not eventuated, hence my complete hesitation towards another so-called 'unique' keyboard.

When it's finally available for sale at Kono or MassDrop, then my money gets spent towards it, otherwise just wait and see if anything turns out besides more delays and excuses.

Muirium
µ

18 Jul 2019, 08:41

That is *NOT* the response I expected from you! And I quite agree with it. Guess the Kishsaver remake GB’s hyperbolic trajectory has been teaching some lessons of the true value of limitless patience: it hurts!

Findecanor

18 Jul 2019, 09:01

Looking at the force graphs, I don't think I would like either of the Silo switches. Too low starting force. No sound damping.

BTW. Interesting that fixing pins have been added since the first shown prototype. I hope that means that "universal" plates could be made, which could support both ISO and ANSI.

Chyros

18 Jul 2019, 09:56

Findecanor wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 09:01
Looking at the force graphs, I don't think I would like either of the Silo switches. Too low starting force. No sound damping.

BTW. Interesting that fixing pins have been added since the first shown prototype. I hope that means that "universal" plates could be made, which could support both ISO and ANSI.
Considering some discussions I've had with HaaTa years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if he engineered the switches precisely to get such a force curve out of it. Especially the swooping curve leading up to the tactile drop, which at the time he mentioned he thought was essential to a good-feeling switch.

SneakyRobb
THINK

18 Jul 2019, 16:20

I would like to see more of this switch
Last edited by SneakyRobb on 18 Jul 2019, 23:47, edited 2 times in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

18 Jul 2019, 17:01

It's interesting because typing on a beamspring almost feels like typing in rewind. By that I mean, you can feel the fly plate snap up at you when you press a key. It's so very different from conventional switches, I'm not sure how it could be reproduced in a different way.

Chyros

18 Jul 2019, 18:01

The Hall effect linear switch is most definitely a great development, but Wooting are also making one, and their previous switch was excellent, so I'm sure the two will be hefty competition to each other on this front. I reckon the clicky, beamspring-type switch is going to be a USP, though.

Return to “Keyboards”