Post a picture of your ideal keyboard layout!

depletedvespene

04 May 2019, 01:02

davkol wrote:
03 May 2019, 21:30
Turkish uses Latin script and F Keyboard is a hugely successful national layout. There have been attempts to replace it by Q Keyboard, specifically because of stuff like the aforementioned hotkeys, and that trend is a classic example of underlying imperialism that comes with US-exported computing technology. Especially East Asian countries have a long history of issues with that, but not only them: it already happened in the times of early typewriter technology (how foreign manufacturers w/ QWERTY-based layouts overran local designs, e.g., in France)... and now I wonder if this will totally derail the thread.
I wonder if this argument could be a good basis for a redesign of the keyboard(s) where everything non-language related is common (minus the actual legends on keys, like Shift/Mayús/Maj/⇑/...), common user functions are made into dedicated keys (imagine the XT/AT layouts' F1..F10 columns, but with the ten most used CUA commands, again in local languages only), and then the alpha block and the num block and only those vary according to each national/language variant, with whatever Alt/Ctrl-letter/number commands might remain required to refer to a key's coordinate instead of its letter.

I know, this wouldn't be good enough for every language, but at least many of them could be properly supported, with each being valued in as good of a manner as the others. And yes, this would require revisiting plenty of national layouts and perhaps even redoing them and... (I should stop now before starting to shill my stuff :mrgreen:).

Lanrefni

04 May 2019, 02:02

depletedvespene wrote:
04 May 2019, 00:50
Lanrefni wrote:
03 May 2019, 19:03
A proper large split ortho should include a center Numpad-

All the keys of a full size,but in a nice compact ortho layout,if you need insert/delete/etc they are on the Numpad where they belong.
This a pair of BFO-9000 PCBs? Those came out (or, more precisely, I learned they existed) after my time toying around with ortholinear stuff. The 15×5 matrix of the XD75 felt limiting (and so did the SOLBUS cluster), and sometimes I wonder what could have I done with a pair of those instead.
Yup,BFO-9000 with custom plates.
The pcb's are still pretty cheap at $20,and keeb.io now offers acrylic plates on their site as well,so no need to custom anything other switch and layout now.

User101

06 May 2019, 08:51

probably the closest one can get to a Selectric layout without a Selectric?
Attachments
20190428_203939.jpg
20190428_203939.jpg (3.72 MiB) Viewed 8901 times

tucvbif

15 May 2019, 22:47

I gonna make a board with this layout:Image. I wanna try shift keys next to spacebars, like in some old soviet computers, left-handed arrow keys and dedicated cut-copy-paste and undo/redo keys.

vvp

15 May 2019, 22:57

Splitting space bar is a move in the right direction!

depletedvespene

16 May 2019, 00:55

tucvbif wrote:
15 May 2019, 22:47
I gonna make a board with this layout:Image. I wanna try shift keys next to spacebars, like in some old soviet computers, left-handed arrow keys and dedicated cut-copy-paste and undo/redo keys.
Interesting ideas - some pretty radical (and I DID notice that TIE over there :mrgreen:). FWIW, when I toyed with a design for a 75%-ish keyboard with the navigation keys on the left side, this is what I came up with:

A possible 75%-ish layout, with the navigation keys on the left side.
A possible 75%-ish layout, with the navigation keys on the left side.
left75.png (207.86 KiB) Viewed 8780 times

I do wonder if dedicated copy/paste keys would be best placed on the lower right corner or whether it'd be more practical to place them (along with Undo and Redo) in a dedicated column (on the right side, in both these layouts). Only one way to find out! :D

Findecanor

16 May 2019, 02:11

--Never mind. Please delete--

orihalcon

16 May 2019, 05:05

I've always loved thumb shift keyboards myself:
IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 8742 times
Perhaps one day with the help of Wcass, I might bring something like it to life :D

uyaszx

09 Jul 2019, 07:33

hallo, im new here...i want to make some keyboard( 67 keys) like this :

any input or suggestion about this layout ?

thx u all
Attachments
keyboard-layout.jpg
keyboard-layout.jpg (66.38 KiB) Viewed 8511 times

Scarpia

09 Jul 2019, 16:02

Looks nice to me, although I don’t know where you’ll be able to find that wiiiiiide Left Ctrl keycap.

tobiasvl

17 Jul 2019, 10:58

uyaszx wrote:

thx u all
Isn't that a pretty standard 65% layout, except for the wide left Ctrl? If you can live with a slightly different bottom row (3 x 1.25u, 6.25u space bar, 6 x 1u) you can get a KBD67 or something. You can map the left Windows/Super key to Ctrl as well in QMK if you want to.

uyaszx

19 Jul 2019, 14:08

tobiasvl wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 10:58
uyaszx wrote:

thx u all
Isn't that a pretty standard 65% layout, except for the wide left Ctrl? If you can live with a slightly different bottom row (3 x 1.25u, 6.25u space bar, 6 x 1u) you can get a KBD67 or something. You can map the left Windows/Super key to Ctrl as well in QMK if you want to.
just search for that ideal of layout, and i found that 60% pcb ( dz60) can do it...
just minus hot swapable switch and LED/ key
Attachments
dz60 - final.jpg
dz60 - final.jpg (128.4 KiB) Viewed 8273 times

Sup

19 Jul 2019, 19:40

I don't know why but i like this layout :lol:

depletedvespene

19 Jul 2019, 19:50

Sup wrote:

I think that it's because you're one of those homeless gits with no escape who hate in an endless manner the introduction of the F11 and F12 keys back in 1985. Pause for a moment, and learn to let go, man! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also, replace the RWin key with an RCtrl. ;)

daguil68367

20 Jul 2019, 03:09

keyboard-layout.png
keyboard-layout.png (28.34 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
I cannot stress how much I wish there were a keyboard like this.

Menuhin

20 Jul 2019, 11:25

Sup wrote:

I like this one.

With a few (perhaps drastic) mods:
  1. Stepped CapsLock used as the L_Ctrl
  2. R_Alt to AltGr
  3. Left Win to Fn1 (so things like Alt + F4 is easier)
  4. Tick key at the corner to Esc
  5. Split Backspace + 1.5u Backspace setting as you've indicated
  6. Current L_Ctrl can become CapsLock, but I can make it a Fn2 or some special function keys
The 1.5u separator for the arrow cluster is gold:
  • It makes reaching for the arrow cluster easier
  • It renders the spacebar and the mods next to it all standard for easier compatibility to key sets: 1.25u + 1.25u + 1.25u + 6.25u + 1.25u + 1.25u
Perhaps that's why RAMA ditches M65 design for its new Koyu.

Placing the F keys on the left is also closer and more "consistent":
  • Rotating of left hand is enough for reaching most of the keys, and unlike in keyboards with a 1u gap between numeral row and F row, most people will lift their hand to press the F keys
  • More "consistent" because you'll only use the left hand
I will miss the easy access to F11 and F12, but it can be an easy fix, e.g. Fn1 (or Fn2) + F1 = F11, Fn1 (or Fn2) + F2 = F12
There are keyboards out there (or still in IC phase) that support this layout, but am at the moment not rich enough to really consider.

tobiasvl

23 Jul 2019, 22:52

uyaszx wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 14:08
just search for that ideal of layout, and i found that 60% pcb ( dz60) can do it...
just minus hot swapable switch and LED/ key
DZ60RGB is hotswappable and has LED/key, but again has a different bottom row (three mods in the bottom left) and a longer right shift (which doubles as /? when tapped). Close though!

On topic: I've recently become interested in a 50% layout. Not sure if it's the standard term, but it's a 40% with two extra columns, or a 60% without the number row.

OxC0FFEE

13 Jul 2020, 19:16

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 1.10.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 1.10.29 PM.png (40.13 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
I do indeed like big space bars. And arrow keys. And blockers. Currently on a YAS62, which is almost perfect.

Alternately, this, because it's space-efficient and doesn't duplicate any keys. Would need a uniform profile set of caps though.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 1.15.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 1.15.06 PM.png (33.7 KiB) Viewed 7074 times

funkmon

14 Jul 2020, 01:31

Well this is a great thread you've revived from the dead.

I think probably a Focus battlecruiser without the nav cluster is perfect.

hellothere

14 Jul 2020, 21:51

Yup. I'm happy to see this, too.

First, I don't really know how to type. I can do 60+ WPM with just three fingers on my left hand and one or two on my right, so what would be nice for me wouldn't necessarily be nice for anyone else.

My keyboard drawer is 12" deep and 29" wide. 5" is taken up by my trackball.

* I really love the 1.75x or 2x height of the ctrl, win, alt, spacebar bottom row on the Matias Ergo Pro.
* I like the full-size backspace, big ass enter key, and 2.75u standard-size shift keys.
* I could go for having the numeric keypad on the left.
* LCD or better screens embedded in the keys, like the Optimus Popularis keyboard, but with my (current) favorite switch, IBM buckling spring.
* Lots of additional keys for macros. I mentioned the Optimus, so I'd like 2x height and 2u width. You could fit at least 24 extra keys in the space I have.
* Because of the LCD/better keycaps, no need for additional backlight!

Off topic, but helpful to me:
* Speaking of IBM, the keyboard should be easy to disassemble: no snaps, no plastic rivets, no disintegrating black foam. Screws and brass sockets.

Inxie

14 Jul 2020, 23:52

I honestly just prefer the original XT layout. As old as it is, I learned on it and on the Model F keyboard when I was in elementary school. Years and years later, my muscle memory is still there for it (except backspace, I keep hitting = for some reason despite the keys being in the same spot as other keyboards).

dusan

16 Jul 2020, 20:27

Not ideal keyboard, but ideal layout for me.
Attachments
Keymap
Keymap
kb-R6x16#ga02-win.png (219.41 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
Layout
Layout
20200717_011357.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 6917 times

Weezer

16 Jul 2020, 20:33

dusan wrote:
Curious what a couple of the keys there do. One of them looks like the old netscape navigator logo and the other looks like a forte.

dusan

17 Jul 2020, 05:51

Weezer wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 20:33
dusan wrote:
Curious what a couple of the keys there do. One of them looks like the old netscape navigator logo and the other looks like a forte.
Well here is a textual version. I hope it makes things clear.

Code: Select all

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| ` | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |F5 |F6 |F7 |F8 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 0 | - |
|Tab| Q | W | E | R | T |F4 |F3 |F10|F9 | Y | U | I | O | P | [ |
| = | A | S | D | F | G |Cap|F2 |F11|Num| H | J | K | L | ; | ' |
| ] | Z | X | C | V | B |Esc|F1 |F12|Ent| N | M | , | . | / | \ |
|ReD|Pst|Ins|BS |Sh |   |LFn|       |RFn|   |Sh |Rgt|Up |Hom|PUp|
+---+---+---+---+---+BS +---+       +---+SP +---+---+---+---+---+
|Cpy|Cut|Del|UnD|Ctl|   |Alt|       |Alt|   |Ctl|Lft|Dn |End|PDn|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+       +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

ddrfraser1

17 Jul 2020, 17:20

Here's a few that I'm gonna end up building. It's kind of an AT1800 layout. Sounds like at walker from Star Wars. I'm actually surprised no one has build one yet.

Here's the layout.
Dream 3.png
Dream 3.png (981.94 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
Here it is styled as a modern honeywell. It will be built, oh yes, it will be built.
Honeywell Dream.PNG
Honeywell Dream.PNG (677.21 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
Next, I bought one of these:
toshiba-t1600-vintage-computer_1_1e85d13ddfa61b4b8eaa8f1e75ddd329.jpg
toshiba-t1600-vintage-computer_1_1e85d13ddfa61b4b8eaa8f1e75ddd329.jpg (241.35 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
So I can make one of these:
1600 bw.png
1600 bw.png (975.25 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
I just really like the keycaps.

One day, I may get one of these:
side vents.jpg
side vents.jpg (165.93 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
And turn it into one of these:
Concept 1.PNG
Concept 1.PNG (451.16 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
I just really like the keycaps.

Also, I like the look of the elongate but I just can't imagine trying to use a keyboard without quote and question mark. So I came up with this:
ElongerGate.PNG
ElongerGate.PNG (598.48 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
I may or may not build this. I have a butt load of other projects on the shelf right now so I need to quit dreaming up new ones.

Here's a random one I put together I probably won't do anything with it.
Alice 1800.PNG
Alice 1800.PNG (116.91 KiB) Viewed 6791 times

Hypersphere

17 Jul 2020, 22:33

@Inxie: I share your affinity for at least some aspects of the IBM-XT keyboard. The XT was my first computer purchase for my lab, and many years later, an XT purchased on eBay for $19 was my first keyboard refurbishing project. However, although I like the form factor, sound and feel of the XT, I don't like the layout. So, I installed a Teensy with Soarer's converter and reworked the layout as best as I could while using the original positions of the barrels. My new layout strikes most people as just as strange as the original one, but it works for me.

Gampela

05 Dec 2020, 21:46

I thought would bring back alive this wonderful thread :)

For a while now I've been thinking about layout with numpad positioned left side. These so called "southpaw" keyboards exist but I have yet to see one that actually pleases me. They have redundant navigation keys, lack function row or have weird spacings that make them aestheticly ugly. Now I humbly think I've perfected this niche. Behold! :lol:

left-sided-numpad.png
left-sided-numpad.png (66.76 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
No redundant navigation keys: the numpad has all the keys you need. The idea is that by holding down the fn-key with your left thumb you can switch between number and navigation keys one handed super fast and leave your right hand to operate the mouse. The usual NumLock is relatively close by but I felt that additional backspace was paramount so it's taking NumLock's usual place. I think mirroring the numpad's sign keys is beneficial in terms of both functionality and aesthetics. Top-left has space for three additional keys. for me they are media control keys for those are very often used. The "Spacer blocks" are evenly sized. It's a minor thing but I think it really makes the layout a lot more coherent.

Weezer

05 Dec 2020, 23:00

Gampela wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:46
I thought would bring back alive this wonderful thread :)

For a while now I've been thinking about layout with numpad positioned left side. These so called "southpaw" keyboards exist but I have yet to see one that actually pleases me. They have redundant navigation keys, lack function row or have weird spacings that make them aestheticly ugly. Now I humbly think I've perfected this niche. Behold! :lol:

left-sided-numpad.png

No redundant navigation keys: the numpad has all the keys you need. The idea is that by holding down the fn-key with your left thumb you can switch between number and navigation keys one handed super fast and leave your right hand to operate the mouse. The usual NumLock is relatively close by but I felt that additional backspace was paramount so it's taking NumLock's usual place. I think mirroring the numpad's sign keys is beneficial in terms of both functionality and aesthetics. Top-left has space for three additional keys. for me they are media control keys for those are very often used. The "Spacer blocks" are evenly sized. It's a minor thing but I think it really makes the layout a lot more coherent.
Having the numpad on the left side is something I'd really want as well for that exact reason. When you're filling out a lot of forms it becomes a pain in the ass to move your hand back and forth between the numberpad and the mouse over and over. Sometimes you can tab to the next area you need to enter and sometimes not if the form is coded badly.

headphone_jack

06 Dec 2020, 00:43

PXL_20201205_233355033.jpg
PXL_20201205_233355033.jpg (64.24 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
Here is my ideal layout! Beyond this side of the keyboard, there isn't much variation from a standard F122 other than the left shift being ANSI. I opted to go with a split right shift, being inspired by Omnikey and Focus boards. Due to me never using the right hand modifers, I decided to turn them into more useful keys. The caps lock key is now actually caps lock, as it is much more out of the way than when its underneath tab. The normal caps position has been turned into my Discord mute as a macro. The right control key has been turned into a return key, moving to a new line of text rather than entering a command. The right alt key, which I plan on soon modding into a Code key from a wheelwriter is a layer key. Not much deviation in the nav cluster, other than the center of the cross becoming a space key for easy use with the numpad and when correcting errors moving through text with the arrow keys. The numpad is probably the most customized aspect of the board. I have turned it into a 20 key numpad, with a backspace, tab, and equals key. Numlock has been removed, replaced instead by a layer key in the bottom left hand corner next to 0. On the other layer are common mathematical modifiers such as ^, %, !, (), and common variables like x, y z. I find this brings much more functionality to the numpad, as the num lock layer is rather pointless on a full size board.

Zobeid Zuma

29 Jun 2021, 16:04

The Hyper Gamma Spaces keyboard. . .
hyper-gamma-spaces.png
hyper-gamma-spaces.png (100.52 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
This has gone through many revisions over time, but the basic philosophy is:
  • Split spacebar, because every keyboard should have that. With Backspace on the left.
  • The central position of Fn is absolutely the best.
  • Nav cluster and additional keys on the left side, opposite from your mouse.
  • No dedicated F-keys, because it's not the 1980s anymore. GUI-WIMP won.
  • Bottom row modifiers all the same size (1¼u) and can be rearranged freely.
Also worth noting. . .

The space bars can configured any way you like, but I have always considered the left one to be Backspace. I find that Fn1-Space is convenient for Forward Delete.

Ubuntu has a setting that allows a press of both shift keys to register as Caps Lock. So if you were looking for an excuse to get rid of the Caps Lock key, this is it.

I always have a Compose key configured somewhere on my board. (In Ubuntu I have configured the Menu/App key to serve this purpose.) As I writer, I find Compose highly useful. It doesn't have to be a dedicated key as shown here, though. Often I have used the mod-tap feature of QMK to assign this to RightAlt. Another option on this layout might be Fn-RightShift. (Or just use GAMMA or HYPER for that matter.)

I listen to music often at my workstation, so the media keys are a natural for me. But you could put anything in those six spaces, the possibilities are wide open. Same for HYPER and GAMMA for that matter.

My keycaps of choice would be PMK G20 profile. I understand not everybody loves them, though.

Return to “Keyboards”