Model F Queries

RBithrey

20 Jul 2019, 23:10

Hey all,

Once again, the IBM hunt continues and I've stumbled across a couple of Model Fs online.

I'm not really privy to a lot of IBM stuff, having Dad (Robin to some of you!) work for CHERRY for the past twenty three years, and so wondered if you guys could help.

Being based in the UK, it appears like Soarer's Converters aren't the easiest to obtain - are there any cheaper alternatives, or is Soarer's the best option?

It's been a good couple years since my last proper delve into the IBM world, so, anything would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Reece.

HC514

20 Jul 2019, 23:53

If you're up for a bit of soldering, you can assemble a converter yourself and flash Soarer's converter onto it. As far as I know, the cheapest and most readily available board that can be used is the Pro Micro and clones of it. That should be much cheaper than buying a prebuilt one from the US or wherever else.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

21 Jul 2019, 00:00

HC514 wrote:
If you're up for a bit of soldering, you can assemble a converter yourself and flash Soarer's converter onto it. As far as I know, the cheapest and most readily available board that can be used is the Pro Micro and clones of it. That should be much cheaper than buying a prebuilt one from the US or wherever else.
This is what I'd recommend as well. Or if you don't have a soldering iron, you could but out a WTB and see if anyone can make/sell you one. Should still be very affordable.

RBithrey

21 Jul 2019, 00:33

snacksthecat wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 00:00
HC514 wrote:
This is what I'd recommend as well. Or if you don't have a soldering iron, you could but out a WTB and see if anyone can make/sell you one. Should still be very affordable.
To be honest, that might be the best option, just as long as I can program some convenient macros! There's a couple on eBay at the moment and I'm just deliberating between which one. One of them is in good working order and has a broken 'Num Lock' key, which would most likely need a replacement - this could be somewhat hard to source, although I'm not sure.

The other one has all keys present certainly, looks a little cleaner, but it's dubious as to whether it works. Now it's just a case of deciding!

The Model F has been tempting me for some time now...

Lbibass

21 Jul 2019, 03:53

RBithrey wrote:
Hey all,

Once again, the IBM hunt continues and I've stumbled across a couple of Model Fs online.

I'm not really privy to a lot of IBM stuff, having Dad (Robin to some of you!) work for CHERRY for the past twenty three years, and so wondered if you guys could help.

Being based in the UK, it appears like Soarer's Converters aren't the easiest to obtain - are there any cheaper alternatives, or is Soarer's the best option?

It's been a good couple years since my last proper delve into the IBM world, so, anything would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Reece.
People really ought to stop using soarer's converters. The only reason to use them is to convert a Wyse board. TMK / QMK are able to convert just about anything, including terminal model m / f122s, and even XT and AT boards at this point. TMK is much easier to configure too, because it has a GUI, which makes it much easier to newcomers.

TLDR: USE TMK / QMK, DAMMNIT

SneakyRobb
THINK

21 Jul 2019, 04:10

Lbibass wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 03:53
RBithrey wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks,

Reece.
People really ought to stop using soarer's converters. The only reason to use them is to convert a Wyse board. TMK / QMK are able to convert just about anything, including terminal model m / f122s, and even XT and AT boards at this point. TMK is much easier to configure too, because it has a GUI, which makes it much easier to newcomers.

TLDR: USE TMK / QMK, DAMMNIT

I have never used anything but soarers converter. I know its kind out outdated with no source code etc. but I have just honestly never had a problem with using notepad to change my layout.

I know I should probably try the TMK/QMK, but if it ain't broke...

Also it is better to think of soarers converter and TMK as firmware and not actual physical devices. They are flashed firmware and not actual physical devices. It is like getting a book on pdf or paper. The physical format might change but its not the physical format that defines the thing

RBithrey

21 Jul 2019, 12:20

So, I've been doing some digging and there are some Soarer's that ship to the UK without too much cost incurred on postage. I could make my own by the looks of things and being on the six week summer break gives me a fair amount of time.

The two that are online are XT connections if that makes any difference. I've seen a load of things saying that if you get one that's AT, you can use a PS/2 converter and it'll be fine. That doesn't seem right, or am I missing something?...

Muirium
µ

21 Jul 2019, 12:56

Soarer’s is smart enough to auto switch between XT and AT protocols. They’re almost the same thing, electrically speaking, so you don’t need to worry about busting anything.

Enjoy your IBM forbidden fruit!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

21 Jul 2019, 22:52

Muirium wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 12:56
Soarer’s is smart enough to auto switch between XT and AT protocols.
Probably the biggest selling point of Soarer's. Second biggest selling point is the ability to configure it without having to re-flash. Third biggest is the configuration syntax is super simple.

RBithrey

22 Jul 2019, 13:36

Just one thing, how easy is it to get hold of replacement keycaps for Model Fs?

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2019, 14:16

They’re compatible with Model M caps. You can mix and match quite safely.

But beware of funky sized keys on certain Model F layouts. XT: I’m looking at you, ya daftie.

RBithrey

22 Jul 2019, 14:29

Muirium wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 14:16
They’re compatible with Model M caps. You can mix and match quite safely.

But beware of funky sized keys on certain Model F layouts. XT: I’m looking at you, ya daftie.
The one's I've been seeing and looking at are XT! It's a case of one of the ones I've found having a pretty broken Num Lock and finding a replacement is becoming a pain.

It looks like the AT ones have a more recognisable layout, but I'm hoping with Soarer's that I can switch keys round to be a little more normalised...

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2019, 14:43

You certainly can. I’ll just quote myself from another thread:
Muirium wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:37
The XT was my first mech, too. Here’s how I mapped it in Soarer’s converter for my Mac:

post118083.html#p118083

It’s a beautiful feeling board. Mine became my entry point to the two things I still like best: Model Fs as a whole (the AT is a significant step forward in layout, while the Kishsaver is the magnificent ideal) and, thanks to that ideally placed Print Screen key, my training wheels for the HHKB layout which has done me so well in 60% keyboards including the HHKB itself. The cursor diamond is well worth the finger gymnastics.
Model Fs feel and sound fantastic. They’ll spoil you. Model M just can’t compare with them. Trouble is Model Fs are almost all quite weird physical layouts. Remapping helps but there’s only so much you can do with an XT.

As for the XT’s Num Lock: any old Model M key will work up there. Won’t look right, but it’ll work. I likely have a spare one somewhere, besides. Those XT alphas are so tasty I harvested another board for duty on my SSK.

Return to “Keyboards”