Help with binding media keys in IBM capsense utility

Wazrach

04 Aug 2019, 21:50

Hi guys, I'm trying to make use of the extra keys on my 4980 Model F. I cannot seem to bind keys to volume up, volume down, mute or "Non-US hash and tilde". Is there a reason for this?

Thanks in advance.

Fkazim

06 Aug 2019, 10:30

I have not worked too much with capsense utility yet that is all about to change. But I can very safely say that with my IBM Model F122 every key registers and can be programmed this is with a Soarers cnverter adapter not directly soldered to the PCB.

The non US tilde problem AKA getting backslash working as on the UK layout I can help you with that but I use soarers so it would not be useful to you. If you was to go and buy a soarers converter I could send you all the code for the full UK layout.

Sorry couldn't be of much help.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 11:01

I use Xwhatsit on my Kishsaver. Media keys work just fine. I have volume up and down right where the HHKB puts them.

Can’t say I know what your issue is. I’ll safely assume you found the media keys in the pull down menu! They’re really the only key codes that don’t “stick” to their assigned key?

Wazrach

06 Aug 2019, 11:03

Muirium wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 11:01
I use Xwhatsit on my Kishsaver. Media keys work just fine. I have volume up and down right where the HHKB puts them.

Can’t say I know what your issue is. I’ll safely assume you found the media keys in the pull down menu! They’re really the only key codes that don’t “stick” to their assigned key?
Yeah I found them in the pulldown menu.

I'm also having issues with ghosting. I'm going to open it yet again and cram 3mm foam inside, then I'll gently crank the bolts down. I hope that fixes the issue.

Wazrach

06 Aug 2019, 11:04

Fkazim wrote:
I have not worked too much with capsense utility yet that is all about to change. But I can very safely say that with my IBM Model F122 every key registers and can be programmed this is with a Soarers cnverter adapter not directly soldered to the PCB.

The non US tilde problem AKA getting backslash working as on the UK layout I can help you with that but I use soarers so it would not be useful to you. If you was to go and buy a soarers converter I could send you all the code for the full UK layout.

Thanks anyway. I downloaded depletedvespene's layout files for the XT and 122-key terminals. :P

Fkazim

06 Aug 2019, 11:06

Wazrach wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 11:04
Fkazim wrote:

Thanks anyway. I downloaded depletedvespene's layout files for the XT and 122-key terminals. :P
No problem Hope your issue gets resolved.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 13:28

I do wonder what the issue is. Can’t tell what’s up from the description!

Wazrach

06 Aug 2019, 13:45

Muirium wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 13:28
I do wonder what the issue is. Can’t tell what’s up from the description!
I fixed the ghosting already. I just set it to a higher voltage. I haven't experienced any more ghosting yet, but fingers crossed it stays away.

So you've not been able to bind media controls either? I am trying to set keys to volume up, volume down, etc with the dropdown menu.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 13:53

They work perfectly for me. Volume up and down are just like any other keys.

Indeed, I can’t even picture why they’d be going wrong for you. Tried other key codes on those hardware keys? Or tried volume up/down on known good keys elsewhere on the board?

Wazrach

06 Aug 2019, 13:57

Muirium wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 13:53
They work perfectly for me. Volume up and down are just like any other keys.

Indeed, I can’t even picture why they’d be going wrong for you. Tried other key codes on those hardware keys? Or tried volume up/down on known good keys elsewhere on the board?
Ok so apparently "Media volume" commands work. Strange. Well that's that fixed. Still doesn't explain why I can't get the non-US hash key working.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 14:03

What did you do to make them work?

Everything on that menu should work. They’re all just different key values in the USB keyboard spec.

Wazrach

06 Aug 2019, 14:06

Muirium wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 14:03
What did you do to make them work?

Everything on that menu should work. They’re all just different key values in the USB keyboard spec.
Before I was just using "Volume" commands, but I am now using "Media Volume" and that actually works in Windows.

Return to “Keyboards”