Post your desktop.

Polecat

12 Aug 2019, 03:33

I found an old photo from twenty years ago (13 August 1999). Sun 19 inch monitor, and Leading Edge DC-2214 keyboard. I still have both, but the monitor hasn't been used much lately. It was a big deal at the time though.
Attachments
DC-2214 keyboard and Sun monitor
DC-2214 keyboard and Sun monitor
KBD.JPG (38.89 KiB) Viewed 20675 times

depletedvespene

12 Aug 2019, 04:21

snacksthecat wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 02:59
Just reconfigured things after getting a new PC. The cables hanging from the desk are all the USB cables I find myself needing all the time. I'm trying to figure out a way to organize them a little bit.

Is that keyboard on the lower right the one I think it is?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

12 Aug 2019, 19:18

depletedvespene wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 04:21
Is that keyboard on the lower right the one I think it is?
You butter believe it!

Because it's smooth like butter

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

15 Aug 2019, 02:49

Temporary setup while I transfer files and stuff.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Aug 2019, 09:16

I always wonder how neat almost all the desks in this thread are.
At the same time, I notice that ashtrays now are an obvious rarity (at least in photos).

mr_a500

15 Aug 2019, 15:36

kbdfr wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 09:16
I always wonder how neat almost all the desks in this thread are.
I assume most people don't want to do a showoff photo of their desktop while it's covered in filth. :P

My desktop right now is basically the same as shown, but with a half eaten chocolate bar, a nearly empty cup of tea, a plate with pizza grease on it, and a hazelnut that the damn squirrel stuffed into the side of my numeric keypad to save for later.

I'd have to clean up all that if I wanted to take a desktop photo.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Aug 2019, 15:45

mr_a500 wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 15:36
My desktop right now is basically the same as shown, but with a half eaten chocolate bar, a nearly empty cup of tea, a plate with pizza grease on it, and a hazelnut that the damn squirrel stuffed into the side of my numeric keypad to save for later.
Now that's rather what I would like to see: real life desktops, not showroom arrangements :mrgreen:

mr_a500

15 Aug 2019, 15:57

Are you the type of guy who would buy a used car if you saw pictures of it covered in mud, the interior filled with old hamburger wrappers? :P

Here's a photo of my numeric keypad (undusted) with the hazelnut stuffed in the side by the squirrel. That's as messy as I'll ever show.
nut in keypad.JPG

andrewjoy

15 Aug 2019, 16:21

Some of the pictures are amazing , some of them tho , you wonder why someone can spend 100s if not 1000s on a keyboard have crappy 22 inch monitors worth 20 quid :D

depletedvespene

15 Aug 2019, 16:32

kbdfr wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 15:45

Now that's rather what I would like to see: real life desktops, not showroom arrangements :mrgreen:
All right, then. I've posted this desktop before, but this time I won't clean up anything before the picture.

Filthy (but not that filthy) desktop of a grumpy (but grumpier than admitted) old fart.
Filthy (but not that filthy) desktop of a grumpy (but grumpier than admitted) old fart.
20190815_102530_th.jpg (258.93 KiB) Viewed 20368 times

andrewjoy

15 Aug 2019, 16:45

Where are the empty beer cans discarded crisp packets and mouldy mugs of tea ?

Or is that just me ?

mr_a500

15 Aug 2019, 16:51

depletedvespene wrote:
All right, then. I've posted this desktop before, but this time I won't clean up anything before the picture.

20190815_102530_th.jpg
Holy shit! I have the exact same mug, sitting on my desk right now.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Aug 2019, 16:58

mr_a500 wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 16:51
depletedvespene wrote:

20190815_102530_th.jpg
Holy shit! I have the exact same mug, sitting on my desk right now.
:lol: This is the godly retribution for your post :lol:

depletedvespene

15 Aug 2019, 22:14

andrewjoy wrote:

Or is that just me ?
Let me teach you about the joys of something called a "trash can". :mrgreen:

mr_a500

15 Aug 2019, 22:19

andrewjoy

16 Aug 2019, 10:37

depletedvespene wrote:
andrewjoy wrote:

Or is that just me ?

Yeh but thats full!

depletedvespene

16 Aug 2019, 13:29

andrewjoy wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 10:37
depletedvespene wrote:
andrewjoy wrote:

Or is that just me ?

Yeh but thats full!

Let me teach you about the joys of something called a "large trash can". :mrgreen:

wobbled

15 Sep 2019, 17:47

I feel I've made enough changes to justify an update. Or at least it feels like it having spent the best part of a day sanding my desks and oiling them.
20190915_162333.jpg
20190915_162333.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 19936 times

CountNoctua

19 Sep 2019, 21:30

vometia
irritant

29 Sep 2019, 06:15

davkol wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:40
JP! wrote: Any recommendations for a nice office chair?
Ultimate Chair Buying Resource Thread
Interesting: I need a new chair. But we don't seem to have a chair discussion here and this topic isn't really the place!

CountNoctua

29 Sep 2019, 06:35

vometia wrote:
Interesting: I need a new chair. But we don't seem to have a chair discussion here and this topic isn't really the place!
Same. It's been on my shopping list for a while, since I started upgrading/changing up my setup. This is what I'm planning on getting. I'm not really into gamer chairs - I actually prefer armless task chairs, and don't like to sit more than 30 minutes to an hour without getting up - but I like the look of that particular one, and I would like something slightly comfier for when I'm sore after working out.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Sep 2019, 08:01

vometia wrote:
davkol wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:40
JP! wrote: Any recommendations for a nice office chair?
Ultimate Chair Buying Resource Thread
As a matter of fact, we even have two:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5434
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11994

vometia
irritant

29 Sep 2019, 13:23

CountNoctua wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 06:35
Same. It's been on my shopping list for a while, since I started upgrading/changing up my setup. This is what I'm planning on getting. I'm not really into gamer chairs - I actually prefer armless task chairs, and don't like to sit more than 30 minutes to an hour without getting up - but I like the look of that particular one, and I would like something slightly comfier for when I'm sore after working out.
I think so many things with "gamer" in the name tend to be overpriced and of dubious quality, though there are some decent things to be had. In my case I'm inclined to try to find a good quality office chair, but they're remarkably difficult to find for private buyers, it seems. I'm inclined to try my luck with a Humanscale Liberty and hope it isn't just over-priced consumer-level stuff. A previous employer had Herman Miller Aerons, I think on the basis that they were a bank and needed to prove that there was no expense spared at that particular site, but they seemed a bit rad-for-its-own-sake and apparently the mesh can soon stretch just enough to leave that thick plastic bar taking all your weight instead.
kbdfr wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 08:01
As a matter of fact, we even have two:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5434
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11994
Thanks! And how quite strange that it didn't come up in my search: did a search in titles for "chair*" and got nothing, but I often manage to press the wrong things without noticing. I may like keyboards, but my typing (and clicking) sucks.

koehr

04 Oct 2019, 21:11

That's how it looks in the office. I mainly work with a Ergodox with Zilents 62g switches attached to a System76 Galago Pro laptop.
SmartSelect_20191004-210729_Instagram.jpg
SmartSelect_20191004-210729_Instagram.jpg (769.29 KiB) Viewed 19143 times
The switches are my absolute favourite but I'm thinking of giving the Redox a chance. The Ergodox feels pretty big.

vometia
irritant

05 Oct 2019, 16:21

Those "mitt" things are very curious beasties! Colourful, though.

As for me, no new chair yet, but I have replaced my desk with the somewhat more cosy one that was in the garage: and as such, I was forced to clear it off so it's briefly fit for photographing before it gets filled with clutter again.

Edit: I've just noticed my Lime keyset (almost) matches my phone. How quite odd that I never saw that before.

Muirium
µ

05 Oct 2019, 22:32

I see your class hierarchy of bookcases. The posh showcase on the right with poets, and then the proles tucked away to the left doing the real work with proper junk! Room pics are always too informative!

The mitts in the post above are an Ergodox. Plenty of those around here on DT, though quite how anyone can stand typing on them for the long haul still eludes me.

(I know, it’s a dedication thing, like switching from Qwerty to Colemak. But the last thing I need to be doing is figuring out how to source *and* Bluetooth a µTron!)

mr_a500

05 Oct 2019, 23:06

@ vometia:
I like your style. I need a bookcase like that. I've just got a cheap piece of junk that I got free.
room.jpg
I like to use Blade Runner style lighting.

vometia
irritant

06 Oct 2019, 10:46

Haha, yeah, there is a bit of a hierarchy! The fancy leather-bound books go in the fancy cabinet, the OED, hardbacks and so on are on the tall shelves behind me, the paperbacks on the short bookcase that's obscured by the screen, and the "random stuff we don't really want on display" is on the least useful shelf of the thing where we keep clean bedding and toiletry supplies.

Sadly, my concentration went on the blink shortly after I joined the Folio Society with a mind to become a bit more versed in the classics so my reading pretty much went as far as the collection of Pratchett books on the bottom row (which I already owned, I mean: I'm not one of those dreadful snobs who dismisses his writing for not being impenetrable enough).

I kinda got this bookcase free by means of inheriting it, sort of: it was originally bought by my other half's mother very many years ago and was apparently quite expensive. And of course I managed to immediately put a dent in it with one of my swords so I need to get a French polisher round at some point to fix it.

Nice ambience you have there, though: my camera angle (mostly) hides the piles of clutter but that looks a lot more "together".

This is the other part of my lair reorganisation which has enabled me to have a clearer desk; well, partly, it's already starting to get cluttered, but I've managed to corral the various stray computers and audio equipment by situating them in The Monolith. Which has been all sorts of painful, literally (I'm absolutely covered in bruises as a result: however much determination I have that I can lug heavy bits of equipment around, no, really, I am like one of my video-game characters, I apparently can't avoid the reality that I'm a somewhat overweight middle-aged woman who's not indestructible) but also because it was delivered in quite seriously knackered condition and trying to get either the seller or card issuer to acknowledge it is predictably grr.

I'm also aware that the ears on the UPS don't line up: mainly as its support thingies are too long to fit between the mounting rails, so I've had to sit it on a shelf instead. I hadn't noticed until I took the picture and now it's irritating me.

It is nicer having it all in there though: it's a lot neater and the bulk of the tangle of cables, whilst still tangled, are now hidden behind it; it's also quieter, which is a mixed blessing as the relative silence has revealed that my monitor has a hum and it's annoying me.

AJM

06 Oct 2019, 20:41

I'm very impressed by the bookcase and The Monolith, but your mentioning of "one of my swords" also piqued my interest. It's getting quite "off-topic", but I'm now wondering how that sword collection looks like.
(Mine mainly consists of LOTR merchandise swords + one made by Weta themselves in 2002 like the actual movie props. And a Chinese "katana" - although I came very close to having a real one made in Japan, before my interest veered again in another direction.)

vometia
irritant

07 Oct 2019, 14:01

Oh, yeah, the swords. Seems I like collecting things: keyboards, swords, bass guitars, bits of computer equipment. But in the latter regard I really need a major clear-out to get rid of some of the last 25 years' worth of crap. I mean why do I even need a VGA cable any more? Yet I have loads. I'll keep the proper classics like my VaxStations, BBC Micro and Dragon 32 but a beige Pentium is of no interest at all.

Er anyway. Swords. Here's my Albion Arn being modelled by a fat trollop (feeling camera-shy today, hence blur) and the aforementioned bookcase, which has now has a proper dusting and one of probably several applications of lemon oil and beeswax.

And some of the others: after spending ages trying to work out how to store them, I realised that a cast iron umbrella stand was the perfect thing. Well, it would be perfect if I filed away the rough edges which have caused some chafing to the scabbards, but as I've said elsewhere, I am not the most handy person.

The LotR films I have really mixed feelings about: I think if they weren't called that I'd think they were awesome, even if they are a bit "epiiic, with added EPIIIIIIIIC!!!" but they really didn't gel at all with my own imagery having read the books; then again, neither did the animated film, but it seems Jackson focussed on all the bits I skimmed and skimmed (or entirely omitted: poor Tom and his cheerful yellow wellies) all the bits I enjoyed.

It did have really awesome looking swords though, so I definitely understand that. Lurking at the back of my group you can see a Glamdring I had made by Castle Keep, and an Arwen's Sword by the same which isn't there: I'll need to remember where the photos are since I'm too lazy to take its picture right now!

Return to “Gallery”