CM Novatouch MX stem repair

evoman

16 Aug 2019, 17:39

I stupidly packed my CM Novatouch in a suitcase (not the first time I have done that, but it's always been okay) and it emerged with the MX stem broken off from the top right key (labelled 'pause' on my other keyboard). I have no idea how it happened since it is a clean break and the keyboard works okay (the case also feels slightly warped, but i am not sure I can do anything about that)

I have looked around for solutions, but I don't see anything definitive. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can repair the switch? (I managed to prise the stem out of the cap, so that is a start!)

The topre mount seems fine and they key itself works. But I obviously cannot get the MX cap onto the key.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2019, 17:48

There are replacement Topre sliders available for people MX modding their HHKBs and Realforces. Those should be compatible with the NovaTouch. Other people know more about them than me, but I believe you can find them at Kbdfans.

Since you only want 1, you probably don't want to buy a whole set! Maybe someone can help you out with a spare.

evoman

19 Aug 2019, 10:47

Muirium wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 17:48
There are replacement Topre sliders available for people MX modding their HHKBs and Realforces. Those should be compatible with the NovaTouch. Other people know more about them than me, but I believe you can find them at Kbdfans.

Since you only want 1, you probably don't want to buy a whole set! Maybe someone can help you out with a spare.
Good idea (I started a thread in the wanted to buy section). I forgot that I had an entire set of replacement sliders that I bought to convert a keyboard a while ago, but sold the keyboard so I ended up selling the sliders. As a result, I never ended up having to figure out how to swap the sliders, but I imagine it is not too bad.

Muirium
µ

19 Aug 2019, 11:04

It feels hairy the very first time you try to pop one out, but once you get it, it’s the simplest thing. Much, much easier than desoldering a Cherry or Alps switch. You just need to unscrew a lot to get in there. I even got a keyboard newbie friend to join me to strip down two Topre boards at a dining table once. Looked easy enough he fancied joining in!

There’s likely a how to video here on DT somewhere. The steps are:
  • Unscrew the keyboard case
  • Prise it open, using an old bank card along the edges to open the hidden plastic clips
  • Unscrew the plate from the back case
  • Detach the cable
  • Unscrew all 30 or so screws on the PCB: the circled ones are silver, the arrowed ones are black. They’re different
  • Slowly pull the PCB away from the plate
  • You’ll see a lot of conical springs: beware of fliers! They need to be in each dome for the keys to work. Put the PCB and dome layers aside. Your target is the plate and sliders
  • Finally, pop out your broken slider by pressing it down, down into the plate from above with a fingernail. This does not feel nice! But it gives easier than you think, if you press it from the right spot above and outside the notch. The slider flies out the back with a ping!
  • Insert replacement from below, observing orientation (look at the diamond shaped underside), and put it all back together. Good luck finding those freedom seeking springs!
You’re doing the same operation you’d need to do to fit damping rings (that’s what me and my friend were doing) so if you’re interested in those, consider installing them while you have full access.

evoman

22 Aug 2019, 16:14

Muirium wrote:
It feels hairy the very first time you try to pop one out, but once you get it, it’s the simplest thing. Much, much easier than desoldering a Cherry or Alps switch. You just need to unscrew a lot to get in there. I even got a keyboard newbie friend to join me to strip down two Topre boards at a dining table once. Looked easy enough he fancied joining in!

• Prise it open, using an old bank card along the edges to open the hidden plastic clips
  • Detach the cable
  • Unscrew all 30 or so screws on the PCB: the circled ones are silver, the arrowed ones are black. They’re different
  • You’ll see a lot of conical springs: beware of fliers! They need to be in each dome for the keys to work. Put the PCB and dome layers aside. Your target is the plate and sliders
  • Finally, pop out your broken slider by pressing it down, down into the plate from above with a fingernail. This does not feel nice! But it gives easier than you think, if you press it from the right spot above and outside the notch. The slider flies out the back with a ping!
  • Insert replacement from below, observing orientation (look at the diamond shaped underside), and put it all back together. Good luck finding those freedom seeking springs!
You’re doing the same operation you’d need to do to fit damping rings (that’s what me and my friend were doing) so if you’re interested in those, consider installing them while you have full access.
Thanks a lot for the detailed info. I just need to find a slider to use in the repair and it sounds like I am all set. The key that broke is not one I have ever actually pressed (not sure when I would use the 'pause' key for the work I do), but i hate the fact that the keycap doesn't stay in place!

kokokoy

23 Aug 2019, 06:13

A bit expensive but if you’re looking only for a few then this is the way to go:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3609343226

They work fine with nova but you’ll notice the wobble. Or... buy a whole set from kbdfans then sell the sliders. I think they are priced now more that the initial cost of the board.

Muirium
µ

23 Aug 2019, 08:55

£3 for an imperfect slider for a rarely used key sounds like a better idea than ruining the whole keyboard!

Note how eBay lists the “brand” of those alternative sliders as “Topre”. Misleading pish. I wish they’d enforce these things. Bastards!

Anyway, just for one key, sure, that’s what I’d do. A keyboard missing a key is like a smile missing a tooth.

evoman

25 Aug 2019, 02:05

Thanks for the eBay link. That would be perfect, except I amazingly found a bag of Topre MX sliders while doing a deep clean of my house this weekend. I picked these up a couple of years ago - they are green, but I don't remember any of the details (purchased through a thread on geekhack). I think the set I got were also imperfect, but given I don't actually ever press that key, it sounds like it will be okay

evoman

28 Aug 2019, 22:53

Muirium wrote:

• Detach the cable
I managed to follow your fantastic instructions and replace the stem (I think successfully, but won't know until I try the keyboard at work tomorrow). My only mistake was lifting off the PCB upside down, so I had to chase a few springs (thankfully my son tracked those down). I don't know if the sliders I have are a great replacement across an entire board, but for one key it seems like a perfect replacement.

Muirium
µ

29 Aug 2019, 10:10

Excellent!

The original sliders in the Novatouch are likely to be better than aftermarket options, so I think you did the right thing by keeping them in. Fortunately, you can mix and match them if you find you like the new one better.

Besides, with a tenkeyless, there’s always a handful of lesser used keys we aren’t really bothered about anyway!

evoman

29 Aug 2019, 10:42

Muirium wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 10:10
Excellent!

The original sliders in the Novatouch are likely to be better than aftermarket options, so I think you did the right thing by keeping them in. Fortunately, you can mix and match them if you find you like the new one better.

Besides, with a tenkeyless, there’s always a handful of lesser used keys we aren’t really bothered about anyway!
I just set the keyboard up in my office and I can immediately see that the replacement slider is far worse than the originals. The key is wobbly, and if I ever had to use that key it would drive me crazy (it's the 'pause' key, which I have never used). But the main reason I replaced the slider was to have a way to keep the key securely in place, so it is fine!

Muirium
µ

29 Aug 2019, 16:53

I know I shouldn’t go giving you evil ideas, but… the key does *look* right, hopefully? Is it the same height as its neighbours?

Return to “Workshop”