Re: I'm 99% convinced in buy a topre keyboard, anything I should know before pressing the "buy" button?

swampangel

12 Aug 2019, 17:23

I don't have an HHKB, but on Poker style 60% board with hhkb bindings I found holding Fn to access the arrow keys/pgup/pgdn was quite hard on my right hand over time.

The true HHKB layout where Fn is beside RShift is probably less straining, but it's something to think about. If I ever buy a Topre board it'll probably be a TKL.

Edit: I didn't start this thread. Sorry for replying to spam!
Last edited by swampangel on 21 Aug 2019, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

12 Aug 2019, 17:43

My HHKB is my favourite and principal keyboard. Has been for years, and countless hours use. It’s an amazing wee thing. Thoroughly recommended.

Here’s a thread (of so many here over the years) where we go into Topre’s feeling, including the differences between HHKB and Realforce:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19986

In brief: if 60% draws you, by all means go HHKB. But a tenkeyless Realforce is a joy in its own right, too.

nelamvr6

12 Aug 2019, 18:18

I would recommend buying the silenced version when you do decide to buy. In most of the cases I've seen it's not much more, $10 in the case of the FC660C, and the sound is really luscious.

gianni

21 Aug 2019, 01:30

Topre novatouch is the worst keyboard that I've ever used. Heavy and sluggish and I spent two hours silencing it. What a waste of time.

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2019, 11:48

I’m a Topre nut. I currently have my beloved custom Bluetooth HHKB that I never shut up about, a 55g Realforce 87U and a NovaTouch with Hypersphere rings and Cherry dyesubs. They’re all awesome, each in their own ways. But honestly, the NovaTouch is by far the best keyboard I’ve ever put MX caps on. With those rings, it’s up there with the Realforce in feel. And I’m picky! Absolutely blows away my Filco with silent reds, which are creaky and obtuse in comparison.

The CoolerMaster NovaTouch was a magic keyboard, shipped with silly compromises. Once fixed, it’s superb.

Mind, a real Topre comes out right, straight out of the box. I’d only suggest a NovaTouch for someone with truly legendary MX caps and a fondness for tinkering! The Realforce comes with caps almost as good as my vintage Cherries.

zslane

21 Aug 2019, 19:20

I agree with Muirium about the NovaTouch, though I'll take it a step further and say that it also helps tremendously to put it in a great case (like something heavy and aluminium). Here's one of my NorbaTouch keyboards (with /dev/tty caps):

NovaTouch in Norbauer case w/ /dev/tty keycaps
NovaTouch in Norbauer case w/ /dev/tty keycaps
dev_tty_norbatouch.jpg (384.57 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
It is an absolute joy to type on. And it looks amazing too.

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2019, 19:49

tty counts as legendary!

gianni

22 Aug 2019, 09:16

I hate my silenced novatouch so much that I'm probably going to throw it away.

I'm really shower typing with that keyboard. My cheap gmmk keyboard with cherry silent switches and sprit 50 grams springs lubed with krytox 105 oil is infinitely better.
Last edited by gianni on 22 Aug 2019, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

22 Aug 2019, 09:17

gianni wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 09:16
I hate my novatouch so much that I'm probably going to throw it away.

I'm really shower typing with that keyboard. My cheap gmmk keyboard with cherry silent switches and sprit 50 grams springs lubed with krytox 105 oil is infinitely better.
PM me and I'll give you a cool $10 + shipping instead =P

Muirium
µ

22 Aug 2019, 09:44

Hey, can't argue with ten, ice cold buckaroos. He's serious!
swampangel wrote:
Edit: I didn't start this thread. Sorry for replying to spam!
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Thread retcon is confusing. But, actually, you did raise a good point in your "OP":
swampangel wrote:
I don't have an HHKB, but on Poker style 60% board with hhkb bindings I found holding Fn to access the arrow keys/pgup/pgdn was quite hard on my right hand over time.

The true HHKB layout where Fn is beside RShift is probably less straining, but it's something to think about. If I ever buy a Topre board it'll probably be a TKL.
I can vouch for "true HHKB" layout. I like the HHKB function layer so much I use it in all my sixties, but only some of them have a split right Shift. That fn key is f'n vital! You can slide your pinkie down and use a corner key instead, as I do on my Kishsaver—IBM had never heard of HHKB split Shift—but it's a *lot* more strain and really does put me off using it when I'm editing and know I've a lot of arrow keys ahead of me. The Kishsaver is usable like that, especially as I've big hands, but it's not ideal. The HHKB handles prolonged fn key chording much, much better.

Mind, I can still understand the draw of a tenkeyless if you're really getting jiggy with nav keys. But I'll just take my HHKB into any situation, regardless. Its size and feel are so compelling to me I don't even stop to consider.
Last edited by Muirium on 22 Aug 2019, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

samuelcable

22 Aug 2019, 09:52

I have nice custom boards but I've recently just been daily driving my 30g realforce , topre sucks you in

Return to “Keyboards”