Smooth ALPS

Hypersphere

07 Aug 2016, 17:12

@IKSLM: You might wish to consult with lot_lizard, ohalmark or XMIT per this thread:

workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796-630.html

lot_lizard had this to say about lubing the springs and barrels in his FSSK project:

"To your point about Teflon, I will be soaking the springs and barrels in a PTFE bath after cleaning (mainly for smoothness, but also it eliminate any "scratchy" sounds). Was recommended by ohaimark / XMIT in another thread. I tried, it is works quite well."

4sStylZ

25 Aug 2019, 11:03

Hey,

I know it’s a 2 years necro but I want more information. I am not a native English speaker and I have read many post / forum about lubing but I fear to miss interpret and inverse some statement :p

Actually I have a keyboard with white dampened alps linearized. I have removed the leaf for that.
I have buyed two PTFE lube. Actually that’s not one recommanded by the post because I am in Europe and can’t find any of them except at very high price / very small quantity.

My first question is : Is it recomanded to lube linearized white dampened switch or not ?
My second one : After using compressed air, what part of the switch I need to lube exactly ? The two face of the slider ?

Primuds

25 Aug 2019, 13:08

4sStylZ wrote:
Hey,

I know it’s 2 years necro but I want more information. I am not a native English speaker and I have read many posts/forum about lubing but I fear to miss interpret and inverse some statement :p

Actually, I have a keyboard with white dampened alps linearized. I have removed the leaf for that.
I have bought two PTFE lube. Actually, that’s not one recommended by the post because I am in Europe and can’t find any of them except at a very high price / very small quantity.

My first question is: Is it recommended to lube linearized white dampened switch or not?
My second one: After using compressed air, what part of the switch I need to lube exactly? The two face of the slider?
I think you are on the right track. All the best with your lubing adventures!

cli

26 Aug 2019, 13:33

4sStylZ wrote:
My second one : After using compressed air, what part of the switch I need to lube exactly ? The two face of the slider ?
It can reduce the friction of the rubber dampers.
4sStylZ wrote:
I would use the bag method to lube the sliders. Check the wiki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR_64_LChtM

4sStylZ

27 Aug 2019, 14:13

Haven’t seen your post before trying to lube them and this is a little mess.
The first day the switch was better, really good but not perfect, but after one night they seem’s very bad, like scratchy.

I have used 3 in 1 ptfe spray lube on the slider.

I don’t know if this is my way to do wich is bad or the lube. I will look your video when I have time for it and maybe try your way to do.

Thank you.

4sStylZ

30 Aug 2019, 14:25

An interesting Reddit post have provided me some informations :
the switches were a bit stiff because the keyboard was in storage for a long time. i cleaned them and it still has that stiffness until i changed the springs to the ones i harvested from box jades and lubed them. now they feel really good. the rear tactile leaf is apparently is much stronger than the front contact leaf = unbalanced horizontal force in the switches = the somewhat sticky feel, and changing to a stronger spring kinda removes this without much change in the colossal tactility
My spring are probably not in good condition, but a good point for me is I can’t have the horizontale balance simply because mines are linearized and I don’t have the opposite Leaf.

I will make a test by adding the opposite leaf and make them tactil again and propably try the « stronger spring » tips.

andresteare

02 Feb 2021, 19:56

Crossfire wrote:
07 Aug 2016, 07:58
I've only lubed the contact patches between the slider and the housing and it improved the feel drastically
¿By that do you mean the sides of the slider that move pararlel to the side "rails" on the inside of the housing?

Return to “Keyboards”