Are there any benefits to having a mechanical keyboard if you're not a heavy gamer or aren't a power user

User101

07 Sep 2019, 15:41

For me its just key feel. I dont really play games and I assume most people here are not heavy gamers. You don't need to be a gamer to have a mechanical keyboad, thats the bs concept keyboard company would like to sell you.

The key here is that you dont use the pc much, so its probably not worth it to buy an expensive keyboard.

As for price range, well that depends on what you want. If you haven't noticed this forum is mainly about vintage keyboards, and they can get expensive.

If you're not a keyboard hobbyist, a logitech probably is enough.

swampangel

07 Sep 2019, 15:51

At the end of the day, the benefit is that it feels nice to type on. You'll have to decide what that's worth.

You're in the states, so you have lots of choice. Here's a sturdy fullsize board https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Master- ... 071LPMSMS/, here's a low-profile mechanical TKL https://smile.amazon.com/Mechanical-Key ... 0722GG88M/, or you could get a good old fashioned IBM Model M for maybe $60-70.

Depends if you're sensitive to the noise, too. Some are pretty thunderous, others are on par with dome/scissor keyboards.

Edit: fooled again
Last edited by swampangel on 08 Sep 2019, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

07 Sep 2019, 16:27

There are now cheap mechs and expensive scissor-switch keyboards. High price does not always mean high quality. Mechanical keyboards are not "better" for office use -- they are a preference, and even preferences among people who use mechanical keyboards vary widely.

If I were you, I would start by going to a physical store and trying out a few keyboards. Write down which keyboards (and which switches) you like and then look up reviews for them online.

Hypersphere

07 Sep 2019, 20:04

@sofbud: I'm not a gamer, but I suppose I might be construed as a "power user". I have a dozen computers running linux, Mac OS, and Windows, and I do research applying computational chemistry and molecular modeling to problems in medicinal chemistry and predictive toxicology.

I've always favored mechanical keyboards, and started with IBM XT and Model M keyboards. After discovering the keyboard hobby and joining DT and GH, I have acquired over 200 keyboards that I enjoy refurbishing, and I incorporate some of them into my keyboard rotation in my home and work offices.

I think even if I were not a heavy computer user and even if I had not adopted the keyboard hobby and joined the forums, I would still want to have a mechanical keyboard just for the enhanced feel, sound, and look. There's also the "cool factor" or "bragging rights" of showing off an "exotic" board to friends and colleagues.

Wazrach

07 Sep 2019, 20:20

Plus, there's a lot to choose from. Everyone's different. I like my tanky IBM keyboards almost exclusively, whereas others can't stand them. It definitely makes the hobby much more interesting, as a lot of what people want in a keyboard is subjective.

If you want something sleek, modern and durable, get yourself a Leopold keyboard. I suggest getting one with Cherry MX Blues, as it's a great starter switch (as long as you don't mind the noise). You can get them in a variety of colours and form factors. I've never owned one, but I have owned a Filco (which is rather comparable).

I had a Matias Tactile Pro 4 for PC, which I got for £70 during the Black Friday Sale on Keyboardco (an absolute steal if you ask me). The switches are really nice, better than MX Blues in terms of feel and sound. Some people have reported the switches are prone to chattering or failure, although I never experienced this, even using it as a daily driver for about 4-5 months.

If you don't want to shell out as much as that, I think one of those refurbished Razer Blackwidow V2s from Ebay is a great deal. They have pretty flashy lights, dedicated macro keys, a USB passthrough and clicky switches like Cherry MX Blues (basically the same, except they sound a bit better in my opinion - not as shrill). Here's the listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAZER-BlackW ... SwuchdUUIM

CountNoctua

08 Sep 2019, 01:29

One of the big advantages of mechanical keyboards is partway activation (actuation), meaning you don't have to fully depress the switch. Why is this important? Because it means that you don't have to exert a lot of force - at least not on lower actuation force mechanical switches - "bottoming out" out the keys in order to type accurately.

This probably doesn't matter much for someone who doesn't type a lot, but even for non-gamers and non-power users this can be an ergonomic benefit. Typing on a good mechanical keyboard for me is also a much more relaxing experience due to the auditory and physical feedback you get. Contrast that with a cheap rubber dome keyboard that can be frustrating (especially when you can't type lightly because the keys won't register) and painful to use.

If you are into PCs and/or aesthetics, there's also a much larger range of keyboard designs and customization options for mechanical keyboards, from classic prebuilts to modern designs and weirder layouts. I just started down the custom keyboard route in order to match my keyboards to my PC builds; it's a fun hobby, and there are tons of ways to do it (it's not just all gamer-y RGB stuff, like many people think). But even a basic mechanical keyboard (they get as low as ~$30 new on Amazon) can be a nice visual upgrade, in addition to all the benefits from the mechanical switches themselves. That's only a little more than the cheapest non-mechanical keyboards, so there's really no reason to not at least give mechanical keyboards a shot these days to see if you like them.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

08 Sep 2019, 04:15

The reason I have a nice keyboard is because it makes me want to type on it. I spend so much time at the keyboard, and use it to do so much, that having a nice one just makes life happier.

I also like having a keyboard that won't break or wear out, and that I can repair easily if it does. To some extent customization (of key caps, switches, backlighting, etc.) is also nice.

Findecanor

08 Sep 2019, 05:30

CountNoctua wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 01:29
One of the big advantages of mechanical keyboards is partway activation (actuation), meaning you don't have to fully depress the switch. Why is this important? Because it means that you don't have to exert a lot of force - at least not on lower actuation force mechanical switches - "bottoming out" out the keys in order to type accurately.
IMHO that is a benefit only with MX Blue and the rarer "MX Clear" — which both are tactile.
A good scissor switch keyboard can be just as good by this criteria.

gianni

10 Sep 2019, 10:43

I'm not a gamer but I can't live without a mechanical keyboards. They're just too good.
If you use it in an office, I firmly suggest you to buy a keyboard with silent switches (cherry mx silent reds, or some silent variants form zeal).
You can't use standard switches in an office, unless you're in an office all alone like I am.

Anyone saying that it's not true, and that mechanical switches aren't noisy, is a big big big fat liar.

You could get a keyboard from https://www.pcgamingrace.com and add the silent switches (it's like using legos, not more difficult than that).

Signature

10 Sep 2019, 13:16

Ok im calling myself a power user from now on

abrahamstechnology

10 Sep 2019, 15:22

I have to make labels to ship several packages a day at work using a really-awful rubber dome keyboard. Not much typing but it's a pain to use, I'll be replacing it with my G80 with Durock T1 switches.

Fkazim

11 Sep 2019, 12:30

I'm a gamer and power user I have to say since switching to a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX reds ther'es no going back to rubber domes. Now I use an IBM keyboard with Capacitive Buckling springs and it is pure typing/gaming heaven really it doesn't get much better than an IBM Capacitive Buckling Spring keyboard or any Mechanical keyboard for that matter when compared to cheap rubber domes.

Wazrach

11 Sep 2019, 12:54

Fkazim wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 12:30
I'm a gamer and power user I have to say since switching to a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX reds ther'es no going back to rubber domes. Now I use an IBM keyboard with Capacitive Buckling springs and it is pure typing/gaming heaven really it doesn't get much better than an IBM Capacitive Buckling Spring keyboard or any Mechanical keyboard for that matter when compared to cheap rubber domes.
Yeah, but are you a real gamer?

Fkazim

11 Sep 2019, 13:17

I guess so I play many games through steam and have 1000+ hours on some games. My pc has full custom water cooling so I would say I'm a real gamer.
IMG-20190107-WA0004.jpeg
IMG-20190107-WA0004.jpeg (803.77 KiB) Viewed 6827 times

Wazrach

11 Sep 2019, 13:20

My PC is an ugly POS under my desk. I prefer not to look at it. :P

St0ckz

11 Sep 2019, 13:21

I wouldn't say I'm a power user, i don't work from a computer a lot of the time and if I do it's workshop based so putting a 500$ keyboard in amongst the dust would turn my stomach. However when I do use a computer I want it to be a comfortable experience with a nice keyboard.

I think of it like buying a nice camera, I don't take a lot of pictures but when I do I'd like them to be as nice as they can or a nice pen for the odd time I write something

SneakyRobb
THINK

11 Sep 2019, 16:38

Fkazim wrote:
I guess so I play many games through steam and have 1000+ hours on some games. My pc has full custom water cooling so I would say I'm a real gamer.IMG-20190107-WA0004.jpeg
Hi, cool. I guess your coolant doesn't go straight from cpu to gpu, but to a secondary radiator first.

You must have super high fps in fortnite :D

Meanwhile I have been having issues getting my PC to even boot for a few weeks. Not even sure what is wrong at this point. Thought it was my SSD, but then I got a bunch of memory errors. I might just RMA the whole motherboard.

Sangdrax

11 Sep 2019, 16:46

Memory errors points to RAM or undervolting the CPU/northbridge

andrewjoy

11 Sep 2019, 18:39

SneakyRobb wrote:

Hi, cool. I guess your coolant doesn't go straight from cpu to gpu, but to a secondary radiator first.

That would make very little difference , its just simpler for routing the tube ( in this case anyway). As long as your res is feeding your pump it matters not the order of parts, just make sure you use the correct IN and OUT on your blocks.

This is mine ( sorry for crappy photos, been at it for hours at that point)

And a video to show loop order https://photos.app.goo.gl/7jfDkrQcpWVEeuZH7

Fkazim

11 Sep 2019, 19:11

SneakyRobb wrote:
Fkazim wrote:
I guess so I play many games through steam and have 1000+ hours on some games. My pc has full custom water cooling so I would say I'm a real gamer.IMG-20190107-WA0004.jpeg

Meanwhile I have been having issues getting my PC to even boot for a few weeks. Not even sure what is wrong at this point. Thought it was my SSD, but then I got a bunch of memory errors. I might just RMA the whole motherboard.
Thanks.

Fkazim

11 Sep 2019, 19:22

andrewjoy cool rig and nice water cooling loop. Have you just competed the rig as I noticed in the video your loop was empty and some of the tubes were off or were you just doing some maintenance.

Return to “Keyboards”