<Help> Model M bad tracking?

kentlamh

23 Sep 2019, 20:25

Hi guys, this's my first Model M ever, a terminal one. So I did a soarer convert and it's worked. But all key in 2 last row did work (shift row and space bar row) except numpad. I tried hid-listen but it didn't send any signal.
After open all the thing, I see these tracks (picture) seems like burned or sth. Is it burned? Hope someone can show me how to fix it. Thank you.Image

jerkstore

23 Sep 2019, 20:37

It certainly could be damaged, though I'm not able to tell from the photo if it truly is.

Any chance you have a multimeter or continuity tester? You should check to see if you have continuity across those traces.

kentlamh

23 Sep 2019, 20:39

oh nice, i think a simple led circuit should work huh?

jerkstore

23 Sep 2019, 20:46

Yep, that should work

anthonymak

24 Sep 2019, 06:00

this kind of mild oxidation inside the membrane is normal for a keyboard over several years and should not cause any problem. I would suggest you clean the contact area that plug into the FPC socket with mild alcohol or pencil eraser(not the one for erasing ink). strong alcohol will remove the silver trace so be-careful.

kentlamh

24 Sep 2019, 06:19

anthonymak wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 06:00
this kind of mild oxidation inside the membrane is normal for a keyboard over several years and should not cause any problem. I would suggest you clean the contact area that plug into the FPC socket with mild alcohol or pencil eraser(not the one for erasing ink). strong alcohol will remove the silver trace so be-careful.
Thanks man, i found some bad traces in other sheet, it definitely causes missing rows. Thank you all.

Return to “Workshop”