What is the best chair to stay 12 hours a day typing on the keyboard?

katushkin

06 Dec 2015, 13:04

I sit at a computer for 12 hours a day at work, and while we've just been given these humanscale monstrosities, I've been using a Herman Miller Mirra, which is nice except for the lack of a headrest.

At home I use a fake cashmere-y covered chair from Staples. Good recline, nice padding and high backed as well.

vometia
irritant

29 Sep 2019, 13:40

So now I've been directed to The Chair Thread I guess I'll ask my question here too!

The title could apply to me: I spend a lot of time at my desk, but not all in one go. I do tend to get up and wander about quite a lot, and the longest I'll set in one, er, sitting is maybe 90 minutes to two hours if I'm especially engrossed in a video game. But minus wanderings, 12 hours at a time is not uncommon.

Since forever I've been using something I was given when I worked at DEC. I've no idea what it is, but for all it has a non-adjustable backrest it is very comfortable. It is also very knackered and is literally falling apart, which isn't surprising as it's at least 30 years old. The sort of falling apart that is most likely unsalvageable.

I've been meaning to replace it for years, but haven't because of an experience with a sort of professional-but-consumer-really grade office chair was less than favourable: it was much less comfortable than this, and my other half has borrowed something very similar but it is likewise not comfortable for anything other than occasional use. "Something similar" as neither had obvious branding, both being ex-corporate buys.

We've tried the likes of John Lewis on the basis that we should be able to find the quite elusive consumer grade stuff that is actually decent or maybe even professional level stuff that is even more evasive. There is of course Herman Miller, as previously mentioned, but my experience with their Aeron many years ago was a bit of a mixed bag and I'm not sure I want to go for one of those, nor its price tag; and perhaps unfairly, they've left me wondering if HM is the sort of "iChair" brand.

I'm currently looking at the Humanscale Liberty as one possibility. I have no idea if it's any less iChair than HM, but there are things I like about it more than e.g. the Aeron. I like that it has a mesh back, because there's not enough airflow in my lair and it can get hot with all the computer equipment in here, but I also like the fact that it has a regular seat. Of course it's totally impossible to predict how comfortable the seat is, and even trying it out in person isn't going to give much idea since you're just not going to know until you've sat in it several hours, probably repeated over the course of several days.

Ultimately I dunno. And things like chairs are so subjective it's hard to know if anybody else can really advise! Though there are the obvious pitfalls like "it actually turns into a giant spike after a month of use" or whatever oddities actually living with something may entail.

Oh, and I tried the standing desk thing years ago on the basis that I don't have too much trouble propping up a bar... but actually I do and it just hurt my knee. Turns out it's not my knee joint but I have a slightly wonky leg and foot that puts some tendon thing under constant strain so it was never really going to work. There was no specially expensive stuff involved, just the workbench I have lying around (also courtesy of DEC) which I gave some "stilts" by sawing some close-fitting square-section aluminium tubing to size and putting rubber feet on the bottom. As a concept it worked really well, and it's still in that configuration in the garage, but after a few weeks I had to concede I couldn't really use it.

wobbled

29 Sep 2019, 15:03

Herman Miller Embody or one of those 'gaming' chairs that resemble a car seat.

dcopellino

29 Sep 2019, 15:37

vometia wrote:
There is Herman Miller, as previously mentioned, but my experience with their Aeron many years ago was a bit of a ....
I remember quite well my first sight at Herman miller's pro chairs on a very hot afternoon in Istanbul four point hotel. Both the chairs' design and their supposed ergonomy due to the plenty of 'handlings' settings, impressed me up suddenly. After having been trying my room's, I can say that your posture will benefit of some advantages, if only for the awe compelling you to stay sitted well.
Anyway, I'll put it short saying that I found my compromise between costs/benefit with this chair after having been using it for 4 years. No softening so far with an average of 3 hrs a day with peeks of 6?

https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B001DJIAR ... UTF8&psc=1
Let me know your opinion.

CountNoctua

30 Sep 2019, 05:44

vometia wrote:
So now I've been directed to The Chair Thread I guess I'll ask my question here too!

The title could apply to me: I spend a lot of time at my desk, but not all in one go. I do tend to get up and wander about quite a lot, and the longest I'll set in one, er, sitting is maybe 90 minutes to two hours if I'm especially engrossed in a video game. But minus wanderings, 12 hours at a time is not uncommon.

Since forever I've been using something I was given when I worked at DEC. I've no idea what it is, but for all it has a non-adjustable backrest it is very comfortable. It is also very knackered and is literally falling apart, which isn't surprising as it's at least 30 years old. The sort of falling apart that is most likely unsalvageable.

I've been meaning to replace it for years, but haven't because of an experience with a sort of professional-but-consumer-really grade office chair was less than favourable: it was much less comfortable than this, and my other half has borrowed something very similar but it is likewise not comfortable for anything other than occasional use. "Something similar" as neither had obvious branding, both being ex-corporate buys.

We've tried the likes of John Lewis on the basis that we should be able to find the quite elusive consumer grade stuff that is actually decent or maybe even professional level stuff that is even more evasive. There is of course Herman Miller, as previously mentioned, but my experience with their Aeron many years ago was a bit of a mixed bag and I'm not sure I want to go for one of those, nor its price tag; and perhaps unfairly, they've left me wondering if HM is the sort of "iChair" brand.

I'm currently looking at the Humanscale Liberty as one possibility. I have no idea if it's any less iChair than HM, but there are things I like about it more than e.g. the Aeron. I like that it has a mesh back, because there's not enough airflow in my lair and it can get hot with all the computer equipment in here, but I also like the fact that it has a regular seat. Of course it's totally impossible to predict how comfortable the seat is, and even trying it out in person isn't going to give much idea since you're just not going to know until you've sat in it several hours, probably repeated over the course of several days.

Ultimately I dunno. And things like chairs are so subjective it's hard to know if anybody else can really advise! Though there are the obvious pitfalls like "it actually turns into a giant spike after a month of use" or whatever oddities actually living with something may entail.

Oh, and I tried the standing desk thing years ago on the basis that I don't have too much trouble propping up a bar... but actually I do and it just hurt my knee. Turns out it's not my knee joint but I have a slightly wonky leg and foot that puts some tendon thing under constant strain so it was never really going to work. There was no specially expensive stuff involved, just the workbench I have lying around (also courtesy of DEC) which I gave some "stilts" by sawing some close-fitting square-section aluminium tubing to size and putting rubber feet on the bottom. As a concept it worked really well, and it's still in that configuration in the garage, but after a few weeks I had to concede I couldn't really use it.
For $200 (need to have a drop.com account to see the price and reviews) this chair might be a good option:
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-flex-task ... rer=P5DHXR

Not sure what the cost of shipping to England would be, but total price should still be a lot less than some of those higher end office chairs.

vometia
irritant

30 Sep 2019, 14:31

Looks potentially interesting, but I'm a lard-arse and I worry about mesh seats!

It's not so much the shipping costs, something that so often seems entirely random and I've seen free postage for heavy, bulky items to extortionate amounts for stuff that's small and light; and no matter the amount paid, it doesn't seem to guarantee delivery time or lack of destruction. It's getting stuff through customs that causes the real pain, as their assessment of something's value seems to be the worst case of how much is declared and how much they think it's worth, including the postage costs, and they don't always get it right and will play the pedantry game if you quibble (and probably win, as it's the customer's problem to prove them wrong). Plus it can take ages for them to assess it, and then the local courier imposes charges for the unpleasantness of dealing with them while holding your stuff hostage and dragging their feet about it all knowing that they can just send it back if you refuse to play. Argh.

So I'd probably rather just order it from the local department store than go through all of that again!

swampangel

30 Sep 2019, 15:04

I bought an Aeron a couple years back and it works pretty well for me. I really appreciate the mesh seat and back in the summer.

Downsides: the upwards curl on the seat sides makes it uncomfortable to spread your legs out, and I wish I'd gotten it without arms because I haven't found a comfortable position for them (and they're not end-user removable).

Many people seem to prefer the Steelcase Leap as much more comfortable than the Aeron, if you don't mind being a little more toasty.

With all of these fancy chairs you have the choice between paying full price for the chair of your choice or keeping an eye out for used/off-lease ones for $200-400.

Hak Foo

01 Oct 2019, 07:18

I bought a used Leap for about USD250 about a year and a half ago; my old plush desk chair was giving me lower-back pain after I switched to remote work and riding it eight hours a day.

You should look for a dealer in used office furniture. In the US, at least, many major cities have these, because you have plenty of firms that build a deluxe office and either go bust or get acquired and the new owners say "our colours are different, scrap it all."

adhoc

07 Nov 2019, 11:15

Can't believe noone has posted this yet...but the best chair to have is Spinalis.

https://www.spinalis.com/

Amirax

18 Nov 2019, 14:54

I have RESPAWN 110 chair. I'm a freelancer so I have to sit more than 10 hours per day, some variants could be found here https://www.bestadvisor.com/best-gaming-chairs I also heard that KILLABEE brand is a cool one, has anyone tried it?

Menuhin

18 Nov 2019, 16:56

I suggest using a sit-stand working desk, and stand for at least 25% of the time if you have to stay "seated" for so long.

A standing stool is also better for your spine. Most important thing is to keep a good neck and shoulder posture - if the muscles are weak to stay in a good post, either spend time training related muscle groups (as suggested by your chiropractor) or reduce the time needed to remain in a seated post.

Menuhin

18 Nov 2019, 16:57

No chair is good for sitting 12 hours per day.

Findecanor

18 Nov 2019, 18:58

Anybody using a knee-chair?

I think that maybe that is the only type of chair that I could sit straight in for any length of time without fatigue, but I have never used one for any length of time so I wouldn't know.
They are also a bit weird to get in and out of, and it feels like you are locked in it, so I wouldn't want to use one with other people about.

Menuhin

18 Nov 2019, 19:18

Findecanor wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 18:58
Anybody using a knee-chair?

I think that maybe that is the only type of chair that I could sit straight in for any length of time without fatigue, but I have never used one for any length of time so I wouldn't know.
They are also a bit weird to get in and out of, and it feels like you are locked in it, so I wouldn't want to use one with other people about.
I owned a knee-chair, but could not use it like 12 hours long. Knee-chair and standing-chair (leaning ones butt on it) are supposed to keep the users in a naturally upright position by the rotated forward hip seating position. However, to keep the spine extended and up, and the neck also postured correctly depend also on how the arms are extended during work (the keyboard and desk platform position) and where the eyes look (monitors level corresponding to neutral eye-level). Even all these are perfectly tailored for a user, to keep the neck and spine in good position for an extended duration, that still needs one's core muscles and neck shoulder muscles be in good shape.

vometia
irritant

19 Nov 2019, 04:57

I encountered a couple of examples bought by my other half's late mother (when she was still alive, obviously!) which dated back to maybe the 1970s. Seemed like nice quality and an interesting concept, but I was warned that they were too uncomfortable to use for more than a few minutes. They were. Bearing in mind Menuhin's comment that they "need one's muscles to be in good shape" etc, admittedly mine really aren't: though not visibly so, my right foot is wonky, my right leg is ½" too long and I have albeit mild scoliosis putting my right (surprise!) shoulder under constant strain. Which probably didn't help but I still thought they were uncomfortable at any setting.

In terms of chairs that I want, I ended up with a Humanscale Diffrient World as John Lewis (upmarket UK department store) had them on special offer, so I got it for under £500. I was slightly thrown by a review which liked the chair but said the RRP was about £300 which turned out to be nonsense as the price shown on Humanscale's own website was something like US$1,000, which would've been excluding the 20% VAT I need to pay as I'm not a business, I'm a sloth.

Er anyway, bit of a risk as there's only so much you can glean from reviews. I did wonder about looking at the ex-office market but as I'm not very mobile I'd have to take what they had on the basis of "as (un)seen" and there are no guarantees about just how used their used stuff is. In addition, where I get a 15 year guarantee with a new one I'd get a few months from a used outlet. I dare say that in more ideal circumstances I could've found myself a bargain but decided against it.

It's turned out really well. I did wonder about the non-removable arms but they're adjustable and don't get in the way; I've even found myself using them occasionally. I was a bit surprised to find that the base is mesh as it looked like a solid cushion, but it's just covered in a thicker fabric. Remembering the Herman-Miller chair I had at work years ago, I think it works well, better than mesh alone. Which the back is and it felt oddly cold compared to my old chair, but 2-3 inches of foam rubbery stuff provides a lot of insulation... typically too much. I think I'm already benefiting when it comes to extended gaming sessions and stuff.

After a few months it's hard to give a solid conclusion, which is always the trouble with chairs and mattresses! But I guess the key point is that any "utility" item that is doing its job well tends to be unnoticed: no news really is good news and I don't have a list of gripes, which I think speaks for itself. The only thing is sometimes it makes a loud "click" when I wriggle about on it which is probably just its seat-depth adjustment thing.

What it's doing well: it's comfortable, it's not causing me aches and pains and it zooms around quite nicely: the wheely feet things are fairly large and roll well, especially compared to my old knackered chair where they were a much smaller diameter and old and... well, knackered. Also the pressure I tend to get on the backs of my thighs just behind my knees feels much less, which is especially impressive as I've had to raise the height of the chair a couple of inches due to also swapping my desk: the new one is smaller in area but a little taller than the previous one, probably to accommodate a keyboard tray (no, I don't use it!)

The only fancy feature is its recliner. This is automatic and as the backrest tilts backwards the seat base slides forwards so your bum doesn't have to skid across it. That was probably not the best choice of words so I'll leave it in. It's not a feature I use much but it is nice, though that slight complexity is probably why it clicks periodically.

Not sure what else to say about it. I admit I suck at writing reviews!

Return to “Off-topic”