HHKB refresh in 2019?

cookie

17 Jul 2019, 15:14

Ohh boy ohh boy!

I am not sure how to feel about the refresh model, I am afraid there is too much potential for screwups.
Let's take a look at the HHKB BT model, and its battery pack and "Modernised" case design.
Not impressed, not at all... I hoped that it will grow on me at one point. 3 Years later, I still think it's appearance is quite unpleasant.
Same applies to the new Realforce line, they feel good yes but the overall look is just not my cup of tea.

As you guys might know, I am a total sucker for the white model. But since my Pro2 started to develop noticable yellowing I hope that they will come up with a way to eliminate this with the refresh model. But hopefully not with an all metal case, since I got my Tokyo 60 I started to like the soft typing experience on the HHKB even more. Metal backplate? Not sure about, I'd rather leave it as it is.

Actual programmability? Yes please!
This would be the biggest reasons for me to buy a Pro3, except they totally screw it up by putting RGB Backlit in it or something equally ridiculous.

Other color options? I'd love to see it, even though I doubt this will ever happen.

Split spacebar? Sweet tits, YES!
Especially together with programability this feature would blow me out of the water.

My humble prediction is that thre refresh model is trying to adjust itself to appeal more to the mainstream market.
It's not going to be wireless, since this will canibalize the BT line.
Say goodbye to genuine Topre caps and sliders, they are probably going to put in MX compatible sliders to increase keycap compatibility. This might lead to longer spacebars, since 6U spacebars are not that common on MX 60% boards.
I am afraid they will equip it with backlit support, so say goodbye to decent PBT caps as well.
I doubt they will do a full metal case, metal backplate on the other hand would be quite possible, especially if they want to put in backlit support using already produces switches from the Realforce RGB line.
Programmability? Maybe some macros but nothing that requires any sort of flashing the board.

We still have our Pro1's and 2's though :)

the_marsbar

17 Jul 2019, 18:50

I think the remake will be quite subtle. I’m hoping it’s just an updated, less creaky case. I don’t think they will go away from Topre stems either. IMO they would do wise to keep to the formula, i.e., niche in a niche in a...

aajjbb

11 Oct 2019, 00:54

Well, the 2019 fall has arrived. Let's see if we will have news.

Elrick

11 Oct 2019, 03:08

aajjbb wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 00:54
Well, the 2019 fall has arrived. Let's see if we will have news.
Maybe it shall arrive in your fall, of 2020 ;) .

Muirium
µ

11 Oct 2019, 03:49

Wants lightweight yet metal slab, complete redesign of the HHKB, wireless from the start, with integrated battery and all the things the HHKB gets right now retained.

Expects another swings and roundabouts experience, like the R2.

In either case, this year seems “optimistic.” Topre has been real busy, by their standards, plenty enough of late.

the_marsbar

11 Oct 2019, 09:19

I am also not counting on any news to surface this year (but I don't mind being surprised).
Last edited by the_marsbar on 12 Oct 2019, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.

aajjbb

11 Oct 2019, 22:08

My situation is that I'm looking for a new HHKB. I'd be pissed if I got a type-s now, and a new one showed up in the market soon.

nelamvr6

12 Oct 2019, 03:05

I just bought a Pro 2 Type S, I'm not one to worry about it if a new one comes out right after I take delivery. Even if the new one is better in some way, the current model is still excellent.

the_marsbar

12 Oct 2019, 06:35

nelamvr6 wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 03:05
I just bought a Pro 2 Type S, I'm not one to worry about it if a new one comes out right after I take delivery. Even if the new one is better in some way, the current model is still excellent.
Good choice. I agree. I’d just like to see an updated HHKB BT, I’ll still be keeping my Type-S and Pro 2.

cookie

16 Oct 2019, 20:15

Let's face it, you can't go wrong with an HHKB, be it pro1 2 or BT, they are all solid choices.

Elrick

17 Oct 2019, 03:16

cookie wrote:
Let's face it, you can't go wrong with an HHKB, be it pro1 2 or BT, they are all solid choices.
Only if it could be re-designed for 104 keys, normal-sized instead.

Now that would be something...... :) :D

Lbibass

17 Oct 2019, 03:59

Elrick wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 03:16
cookie wrote:
Only if it could be re-designed for 104 keys, normal-sized instead.

Now that would be something...... :) :D
Then buy a realforce. ;)

benfrain

17 Oct 2019, 11:50

As far as I can gather, the only ‘evidence’ for a HHKB refresh in 2019 is a barely audible sentence from someone at a NorCal keyboard meetup: https://youtu.be/93tcwesW7NE

Even the PFU official Twitter account had a recent bit of footage at a trade show with various new PFU pieces of kit. No mention of a new keyboard: https://twitter.com/PFU_HHKB/status/1184062212580741120

That said, I can’t read or write Japanese so maybe I missed something.

Is there any, literally any, scrap of concrete evidence that a 2019 HHKB refresh is on the way?

the_marsbar

17 Oct 2019, 12:11

I thought the same. I haven’t seen any official evidence that a refresh is on the way.

cookie

18 Oct 2019, 09:40

benfrain wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 11:50
Is there any, literally any, scrap of concrete evidence that a 2019 HHKB refresh is on the way?
I believe they would have announced something by now.

Elrick

18 Oct 2019, 12:39

Lbibass wrote:
Then buy a realforce. ;)
Already have 12 of them.

From the oldest to the newest releases.

But having an HHKB done with 104 standard ANSI key layout, now that would be worth acquiring for my collection.

cookie

18 Oct 2019, 14:04

Elrick wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:39
Lbibass wrote:
Then buy a realforce. ;)
Already have 12 of them.

From the oldest to the newest releases.

But having an HHKB done with 104 standard ANSI key layout, now that would be worth acquiring for my collection.
Maybe an HHKB sticker for your RF is what you need?

Elrick

19 Nov 2019, 03:29

cookie wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 14:04
Maybe an HHKB sticker for your RF is what you need?
So you're saying both RF and HHKB are made at the very same Factory?

Maybe due to Japan being so small, that's totally understandable ;) .

Muirium
µ

19 Nov 2019, 11:09

Small but perfectly formed. They really pack ‘em in there (says the fellow small islander) which explains their fondness for sensibly space saving keyboards!

Topre makes at least the PCB, domes and caps of the HHKB. I’ve always assumed they just build the whole thing, with PFU handling just the branding.

Elrick

19 Nov 2019, 11:31

Just curious to know, has anyone gotten this model yet;

PFU PD-KB420WS Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional HHKB JP TypeS. ?

Has a few extra keys added and looks totally usable within the crass Western Sphere, in which we happen to live.

the_marsbar

26 Nov 2019, 12:43

According to posts on reddit and geekhack, some people claim that a representative has said (at NorCal meetup) "Q1 2020". Whatever that means; more information at that point, or a product release. Let's see.

subcat

26 Nov 2019, 12:56

expect some information on the 10th of december

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2019, 13:06

Let the hype cycle commence!
Elrick wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 11:31
Just curious to know, has anyone gotten this model yet;

PFU PD-KB420WS Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional HHKB JP TypeS. ?

Has a few extra keys added and looks totally usable within the crass Western Sphere, in which we happen to live.
That’s the plain, straight up, one and only HHKB JP in its premium Type S form. Been out for years. People occasionally sell them on DT.

wiki/HHKB_Professional_JP_Type-S

I’m guessing you’ve never seen the JP before? It’s… different. Essentially the HHKB finagled to be kinda sorta JIS, with big fat double deck Return and an itty bitty spacebar to match. Beware those extra mods, though: they do stuff! And it ain’t for non Japanese like us!

Of course, it’s the arrow keys that caught your eye, right? Keep them off sixties! The HHKB lite’s insistence on cramming in a half height set of its own tells you everything you need to know.

Elrick

01 Dec 2019, 03:31

Muirium wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 13:06
Let the hype cycle commence!

Of course, it’s the arrow keys that caught your eye, right? Keep them off sixties! The HHKB lite’s insistence on cramming in a half height set of its own tells you everything you need to know.
Yep, having the arrow keys do help in a big way, especially with Access and Excel.

All for adding a little extra keys on the HHKB size format which already is too small for my hand.

Loconino

03 Dec 2019, 17:51

I talked to the rep at the meetup in San Jose, and the first quarter, according to her, is to be the release, not just an announcement. She was pretty and gave me some HHKB coasters, so I have complete faith in her claim.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

03 Dec 2019, 21:27

Loconino wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 17:51
She was pretty and gave me some HHKB coasters, so I have complete faith in her claim.
That's not a reason to have complete faith in someone's claim.

The fact that the person you're referring to happened to be the product manager at Fujitsu of keyboards - that's a good reason to believe the claim. (I know exactly who you're talking about.)

AdrianMan

10 Dec 2019, 08:10

I think it's out ! It's available for pre-order??

https://item.m.jd.com/product/62603602534.html

yuchipashe

10 Dec 2019, 08:30

Someone already has a review out of the board:

https://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles ... ws094.html

Official site shows the lineup of the boards, with the boards now on sale on amazon, rakuten, and yahoo japan
https://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/direct/hhkb/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B081JMRTK7

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Dec 2019, 10:02

It seems even the classic no bluetooth models now have the slightly ugly case design with the rounder borders and different slope.

Findecanor

10 Dec 2019, 11:13

There is a new site for the keyboard: https://happyhackingkb.com/. Only the Japanese section shows the new models — and it shows only the new models.

The weight is about the same for all models, so they must still be all-plastic constructions.
Because the Classic doesn't have any USB hub, it does look like a downgrade even though it has USB C now.

On the Hybrid model, I wonder if plugging in a USB cable shuts off Bluetooth or if you would be able to swap between the USB and Bluetooth hosts. Edit: It keeps connection. Fn+Control+<num> changes pairing. Fn+Control+0 switches to USB.
A curious detail from the review is that it says that in Bluetooth mode, the keyboard shuts itself off after 30 minutes of inactivity and you'd have to press the On switch to start it up again. Most other Bluetooth keyboards reconnect when you restart typing. This means that a USB cable is in practice required for long-term use. Despite this, the Hybrid does not come with a USB cable in the box (WTF!).

BTW. Sixteen models added to the Wiki (phew...)

Return to “News”