IBM Model M - Reproduction Labels?

SDS604

06 Oct 2019, 10:42

I recently picked up an IBM Model M 122 for restoration/modification, this site has been an absolute godsend so thank you to all!

I've got big plans for this one however my original label is rather faded and will undoubtedly be destroyed by the modifications I have in mind, even if it was to be preserved it would still not look very good on an otherwise fully restored unit.

Does anyone make a reproduction label or have a template for one? I know there are many variations over the years but is this a possibility to reproduce or should I just proceed knowing that I will be label-less?
IMG_7540.jpg
IMG_7540.jpg (80.56 KiB) Viewed 5224 times

sharktastica

06 Oct 2019, 17:06

Might be worth dropping Unicomp an email asking if you could specifically order a label from them? It is likely the most authentic option if possible too!

SDS604

07 Oct 2019, 09:11

My '89 pre-dates Unicomp by 7 years and has/will have 0 Unicomp parts in it.

sharktastica

07 Oct 2019, 11:59

SDS604 wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 09:11
My '89 pre-dates Unicomp by 7 years and has/will have 0 Unicomp parts in it.
Alright. Just thought they'd be the most authentic (and thus cool - IMO at least) option possible to pursue, especially considering a derivative of your battlecruiser is still in production as the PC 122 (they're family)! Well, at least most authentic option short of prying off a good label from another IBM battlecruiser and tossing it.

What modifications are you planning by the way? I have a UK bold-labelled '89 battlecruiser (1394324 from InfoWindow Twinax) myself and always curious to what people do with theirs!

Darkshado

08 Oct 2019, 06:39

One word of caution: do not use heat to soften the glue, otherwise you risk deforming the plastic case.

(Also, this isn't the first board we see here with a Hexatek label on it. Are you in the Montreal area by any chance?)

SDS604

13 Oct 2019, 08:26

sharktastica wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 11:59
What modifications are you planning by the way?
This is going to get me killed by the purists but here goes....

A deep cleaning, although this isn't really needed as it is already in good shape it's happening anyways because I am also going to do...

- Bluetooth/USB controller board upgrade + LED daughterboard
I can't say enough about how excited I am for this. It's what got me back into this hobby. I'm going with a 2000mah battery and I will fully document the upgrade process, although it will be super simple since it's a ready-made drop in replacement.
viewtopic.php?t=17388

- Painted front/rear cases with Duplicolor TSP102. It has a black/green textured finish. Not everyone's cup of tea but hey, this isn't for them. :lol:

- Possibly a "bolt mod" but this may not be necessary as I only found 3 rivet heads when I opened it up. Not to say there are not more that have somehow fled the case already but I am on the fence...it's a bit more than I am comfortable doing but I know that it only needs to be done once and will last forever. I also do not have access to a drill press or dremel tool and honestly, I'd probably fuck it up.

Now I had a planned to do something else for keycaps but there do not seem to be any options other than hand-made or Unicomp so I retract my previous comment, I will have some Unicomp bits in here!

I never heard back from Fentek so they may be out of the Model M business?

From Unicomp:
- Brilliant white/black print keycaps..
- Brilliant white space bar
- Green/black function keycaps
- Green/black WASD keycaps
- Brilliant white media keys.
- Red panic key
- Yellow panic key
- Black LED overlay

And that's it...just a few changes. :lol: :lol:

I have made a custom label with all the information that is currently on the label + some neat stuff that I will have printed and will be the "cherry on top" once all this is complete. :)
Last edited by SDS604 on 13 Oct 2019, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.

SDS604

13 Oct 2019, 08:26

Darkshado wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 06:39
(Also, this isn't the first board we see here with a Hexatek label on it. Are you in the Montreal area by any chance?)
I'm in Vancouver but purchased the keyboard from a guy in Seattle, this one has some miles on it!

sharktastica

14 Oct 2019, 20:00

As you said, the keyboard is for you!

I've been considering the Bluetooth mod for general convenience at least, but I'm still debating if I even need it - my Soarer's is fine enough and wanting a bit of distance between the keyboard and computer is a really really minimal personal desire. Some more standard caps might do, though.

I need to do bolt mods on most of my Ms at some point, but I'm just waiting for a good opportunity to do it with at my university's engineering lab.

SDS604

21 Oct 2019, 07:12

If you don't need the Bluetooth side of things (I hate wires!) it is still very useful as it does allow for USB. I'm not too familiar with the Soarers features but the new controller board solves everything I'd want it to do.

I've decided to go ahead with the bolt mod although I will be sending the keyboard out to have this done once a d"dry fitting" is complete. I laid down the primer and initial coat of paint this weekend and so far, so good. I will add another coat to the base layer but the green accent colour of the paint I chose is a bit muted so I may go over it with one additional coat.

To the displeasure of collectors and purists photos will be posted soon :)

SDS604

06 Nov 2019, 14:13

So as to not necro this thread I am starting a new one with plenty of photos of the "Model Meltdown" or "Model Mutant" as it has been dubbed. :mrgreen:

Return to “Keyboards”