Deskthority Fundraising Campaign 2019

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Nov 2019, 17:12

Deskthority doesn't have a steady income anymore. The club helped in the past, but that's ancient history. We still have expenses though and so far they are covered by an absconding webwit just out of his good heart.

Hence I'm hereby asking for your support in the form of:

A) Put your forgotten or unused keyboards/keycaps/whatever on sale and give the proceeds to Deskthority (the buyer can pay directly to DT if you want)
B) Just give us the money!

Anything you give is used to keep Deskthority up and running (server and whatnot) and to purchase the (in)famous wingnuts for the annual awards.

Thank you for your support!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

01 Nov 2019, 17:17

Done.

listofoptions

01 Nov 2019, 17:46

done

ZedTheMan

01 Nov 2019, 17:55

Is it possible to inquire at what kind of numbers we are looking at as far as where we are compared to what we need?

Also, gonna do this in a bit.

heymark

01 Nov 2019, 18:02

done,DT keep all my vintage cherry memories.

mind_prepared

01 Nov 2019, 18:10

how much money do you need and where does the money go? I'm willing to make a donation but under the condition of a minimum of transparency, please.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Nov 2019, 18:17

it's about €1200-1400 per year for the server (and backups). I don't have the numbers for the wingnuts because webwit never really wanted to share that :P but I'm guessing he is handing like €400-500 for a quantity of wingnuts that lasts a couple of years.

TheInverseKey

01 Nov 2019, 18:18

Done, Thanks for keeping the biggest repository of keyboard info alive.

tinnie

01 Nov 2019, 18:25

done.

ZedTheMan

01 Nov 2019, 18:33

matt3o wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 18:17
it's about €1200-1400 per year for the server (and backups). I don't have the numbers for the wingnuts because webwit never really wanted to share that :P but I'm guessing he is handing like €400-500 for a quantity of wingnuts that lasts a couple of years.
This is great, but here's where I am at.

I've been asked to jump, I've been told how tall the building is, but how high should I jump to reach the building from the current platform?
I wouldn't mind at all giving money based on what is needed, even/especially if we need a lot. But it's a matter of where we are at. I don't even mind if DT is looking for some butter for continued support in the future, I would just like to know what the relative situation is.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Nov 2019, 18:47

At the moment we are below zero, so anything helps. It is unrealistic to think that we would cover what we actually need with donations from DT users but if that will ever happen anything exceeding will be used for next year's expenses.

ZedTheMan

01 Nov 2019, 19:22

Ouch. Consider me in. Donated

JP!

01 Nov 2019, 21:18

We could just sell the Wingnuts to fund the purchase of a private DT island. Set for life :D

Archie

01 Nov 2019, 21:29

Done. Hope you'll be able to keep DT running.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Nov 2019, 22:30

Thanks all for the donations so far, we already got 370 euro!! (including one of 100 usd and one of 100 eur! thanks both!)

The total of expenses is just under 1k euro per year. We saved a bit of money by going from a cPanel administered server to something much less lazy and more pro, as setup by matt3o, which also gave us a great performance boost.

Oh, the Wingnuts are not as expensive as matt3o is thinking. I once had to plea with clickclack to give him a fair price based on making a unique design and mould and caps in small quantities because otherwise he would have made them cheaper, and through the years I've had to frequently remind him to send me a paypay bill in order to pay him. He usually forgets to bill the shipping costs despite me asking. He has been a difficult man to pay. :lol: It's nowhere near what he should or could be asking. It's more a matter of honour that I pay him than the actual economics in reputation and man hours he puts into them, and a matter of honour that he makes them for us. He makes them because he wants to, not for the money.

AdrianMan

01 Nov 2019, 23:18

Keep it up guys. Chipped in with 50€.

photekq
Cherry Picker

01 Nov 2019, 23:19

My bank account's in the negative right now, but as soon as it floats positive I'll chip in. I had no idea the yearly costs were quite so high!

AdrianMan

01 Nov 2019, 23:25

photekq wrote:
...I had no idea the yearly costs were quite so high!
It's your fault uploading all those HD pics and being so active !

Jk, thanks for all the usefull stuff, I'm a fan ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Nov 2019, 23:43

photekq wrote:
My bank account's in the negative right now, but as soon as it floats positive I'll chip in. I had no idea the yearly costs were quite so high!
If you're in the negative you shouldn't be donating to us once you hit the positive :mrgreen: Wrong priorities. This is why you are in the negative, you're too good for this world! We'll be fine, don't worry, DT is not in any kind of trouble, it's just a fund raising for the long term, and deskthority has sustained this way for many years now in different ways but without problem.

Puree

02 Nov 2019, 00:26

Done :-)

Happy to help !

Regards

Scarpia

02 Nov 2019, 07:36

Hmm.. I wanted to put my username for the ‘pro membership’ but PayPal went straight to the confirm page. Anyway, done.

darkcruix

02 Nov 2019, 10:53

Done.

Tias

02 Nov 2019, 13:38

Done. I also wanted apply for the 'pro membership', but no option to mention ones username when using paypal. Any way around this issue?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Nov 2019, 15:02

Tias wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 13:38
Done. I also wanted apply for the 'pro membership', but no option to mention ones username when using paypal. Any way around this issue?
if you put your username in the description I'm sure webwit will take care of that. Otherwise just contact him in PM

depletedvespene

02 Nov 2019, 15:22

Done.

Archie

02 Nov 2019, 17:15

Probably offtopic, but what's 'pro membership' actually is? If the donation I've paid makes me eligible, I'm interested. :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Nov 2019, 17:34

Archie wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 17:15
Probably offtopic, but what's 'pro membership' actually is? If the donation I've paid makes me eligible, I'm interested. :)
access to a super top secret section of the forum. also you need to feed the ducks.

ZedTheMan

02 Nov 2019, 17:41

How do we access that top secret section, by the way? I believe I have fed the man duck.

mind_prepared

02 Nov 2019, 19:59

I hate to come across like an ass for not wanting to chip in unconditionally, but would it be possible to create a bar chart showing the current funds needed vs. donations made? That way every member could see directly 1) what the current budget (gap) is and 2) that the donation made has been posted to the budget ledger. You make a donation, the budget bar gets incremented by the amount donated. That's about all the transparency I need.

I'm not an accountant or anything, but I would also suggest to publish a financing plan for the site if budgetary restraints are a big issue. If this site cannot be run in the long term based on voluntary and hence sporadic donations then there would be no point in making a donation. I take that's not a problem, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for donations.

Finally, some guys on here may be financially signifcantly more well-to-do than others. Give the big guys a chance to handle business first, no need for some kid to take the candles off his birthday cake if the budget is already balanced. At this point you just cannot tell.

listofoptions

02 Nov 2019, 20:09

matt3o, would a fundraiser raffle for a specialty one-off artisan work? id be down for a raffle for a cap that would never get made again, specifically so we could keep funding this repository of work! something like 25-75 usd for 1 to 3 raffle tickets.

Return to “Deskthority talk”